Will Ester based Pennzoil syn TCW3 attract water?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use this 2-smoke oil as a UCL in my cans of OPE fuel, and even in my vehicles fuel as an UCL.

After reading this quote, it had me wondering if it would possibly attract water due to the ester base oils:

"The combination of synthetic ester base oils and a premium, ashless performance package in Pennzoil Marine Full synthetic 2-cycle oil provides protection for high horsepower applicationas that require approved NMMA TC-W3 oils."

Nothing to worry about? Am I mis-remembering about esters hydroscopic properties? But it's a marine marketed tcw3, you wouldn't think it would have an issue with water...
36.gif

Quote:
Nothing to worry about? Am I mis-remembering about esters hydroscopic properties? But it's a marine marketed tcw3,

I think you are asking the wrong question.

Upper cylinder lubrication is provided by an oil film between the compression ring and the cylinder wall.

Upper cylinder lubrication is accomplished by either splash lubrication or by oil squirters (oil jets) shooting oil to the underside of the piston.

While oil jets are mainly used for cooling the piston's underside, they secondarily provide more oil wash.

Any lubricant mixed with fuel (in sane amounts) is so diluted that it has no affect on Upper Cylinder lubrication.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Quote:
Nothing to worry about? Am I mis-remembering about esters hydroscopic properties? But it's a marine marketed tcw3,

Upper cylinder lubrication is provided by an oil film between the compression ring and the cylinder wall.

Upper cylinder lubrication is accomplished by either splash lubrication or by oil squirters (oil jets) shooting oil to the underside of the piston.

While oil jets are mainly used for cooling the piston's underside, they secondarily provide more oil wash.

Any lubricant mixed with fuel (in sane amounts) is so diluted that it has no affect on Upper Cylinder lubrication.

So, then what provides the lubrication in a 2-stroke engine? Isn't that why the oil is added to the fuel????

In 2-cycle engines, oil is added to the fuel in high concentrations to lubricate the piston rings in "single-pass" lubricated systems.

Quote:
Any lubricant mixed with fuel (in sane amounts) In 4-Cycle Internal combustion Engines fuel tanks is so diluted that it has no affect on Upper Cylinder lubrication.

Quote:

Last edited:
In 2-cycle engines, oil is added to the fuel in high concentrations to lubricate the piston rings in "single-pass" lubricated systems.

You prolly meant higher concentrations than four cycle usage of UCL. Typical two cycle mix ratios include 32:1 (3.1%) and 50:1 (2%). That's not very much oil compared to overall gasoline by volume.

As I know it Esters can keep a lot of moisture in suspension and still provide excellent lubrication.
Which is a good thing.

Originally Posted By: Shrubitup

You prolly meant higher concentrations than four cycle usage of UCL. Typical two cycle mix ratios include 32:1 (3.1%) and 50:1 (2%). That's not very much oil compared to overall gasoline by volume.

Quote:

Any lubricant mixed with fuel (in sane amounts) In 4-Cycle Internal combustion Engines fuel tanks is so diluted that it has no affect on Upper Cylinder lubrication.

Quote:

I should have specified my worry was that the esters would attract water/moisture to the dormant fuel tank or can as it sits such as in an sitting car, or OPE situation where a 5 gallon gas can can last me all year, and ends up finished off by the snow blower ten months later.

I was under the impression it helped lube/clean the top ring to some extent, but barring that, its good to know it will still lube the injectors and fuel pump despite moisture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back