Scag hydro oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a zero turn Scag STC52V-22FX with 83hrs. I want to change the hydro oil mainly because the cap came off while I mowed and I don't know if any debris got in tank. The owners manual calls for SAE 20w50 motor oil. Has Hydro-Gear BDP-10A-316 pump with Parker drive motors. I chose Shell Rotella T 10w30 Heavy Duty Conventional Motor Oil for the motor with a Wix filter but Shell Rotella doesn't make a SAE 20w50. Whats the oil to use do you think.

I've been using M1 15W-50 in my Hydro-Gear G730. It is spec'd for 20W-50 but 15W-50 runs just fine and with the M1 rebate it only costs about $11 for 5 quarts.

Last edited:
My Scag STT owner's manual just calls for a "20W-50 motor oil" and does not specify any API Service Category, so presumably any 20W-50 from API SA through SN would be acceptable. That said I would stick with current API Categories such as SL, SM, or SN and definitely avoid the old obsolete categories. I also would not hesitate to use a 15W-50 synthetic such as M1.

What is equally confusing is the fill level specified in the manual. My manual says the "Hydraulic oil must be at least 3 1/4" from the top of the filler neck." Well 12" is at least 3 1/4" from the top of the filler neck, but then the sump would be empty. I suspect they meant to say no more than 3 1/4" from the top of the filler neck, but then that includes filling to the brim. I just fill mine to exactly 3 1/4" from the neck.

Tom NJ

I have also used Mobil 1 15w50 in my Gravely's Hydro Gear ZT-2800. Basically 15w50 full synthetic is a direct replacement to conventional 20w50. Your pump or motor probably like that the oil is a little thinner when cold.

Yesterday went to my scag dealer, which I like he's great.I asked what they use in the hydro all he said was what ever is on sale. He didn't have a filter so I'm just going to top it off with a conventional 20w50 till I get a filter. I'll definitely check out the Mobil 1 15w50. I stopped at Autozone, Oreillys,and Advanced on the way home looking for a conventional 20w50 but didn't see anything I liked, was really limited. Can you put Mobil 15w50 in with whatever I have in the tank that was on sale? lol

Originally Posted By: RedEyedRooster
I'll definitely check out the Mobil 1 15w50. I stopped at Autozone, Oreillys,and Advanced on the way home looking for a conventional 20w50 but didn't see anything I liked, was really limited.

Check out Walmart. the one by me always has a selection of conventional 20W-50. I would not waste using Mobil 1 15W-50 as "add oil" to what's in there. Save the Mobil 1 for when you get the filter and do a complete oil change.

Whimsey

I went with a case of Havoline 20w50 after talking to three different dealers I found that one was 15w40 synthetic and the others were whatever conventional was cheap. I just topped off my tank so that I could mow. Kind of surprised that there is no standard to what goes in a brand new scag that cost $80000.00 dollars. Whatever I guess I'm not very pleased. You know I just want to do what is correct and I believe that scag should say If your a dealer use this cause we tested it and know it's good. Which may have been the case with saying use any SAE 20w50 conventional motor oils.

Originally Posted By: RedEyedRooster
I have a zero turn Scag STC52V-22FX with 83hrs. I want to change the hydro oil mainly because the cap came off while I mowed and I don't know if any debris got in tank. The owners manual calls for SAE 20w50 motor oil. Has Hydro-Gear BDP-10A-316 pump with Parker drive motors. I chose Shell Rotella T 10w30 Heavy Duty Conventional Motor Oil for the motor with a Wix filter but Shell Rotella doesn't make a SAE 20w50. Whats the oil to use do you think.

Hello RedEyedRooster, since your OEM Manual recommends a 20W-50 viscosity grade motor oil, we recommend you stay with that viscosity grade since it is critical to the long-term protection of your engine). The Shell Rotella T 10W30 Heavy Duty Conventional motor oil you mentioned is a much thinner viscosity grade than your OEM requiries so we would recomend making the switch to Pennzoil 20w-50 Conventional motor oil (PYB). Hope this helps! - The Pennzoil Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back