Regular Pennzoil...and sludge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Utter nonsense. I'm surprised they didn't also blame it all on an orange can.

I might believe that was Pennzoil if it had been a single 66k OCI, which is about what it looks like.

Ignorant nonsense.

Originally Posted By: mrdctaylor

Supposedly the oil was changed every 3500-5000K miles...

There's the problem! 3,500,000-5,000,000 miles is WAY too long an interval, even if he was using Amsoil!

They probably didn't change the oil every time the owner paid for the service. These chains are known for charging for services they do not perform.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
They probably didn't change the oil every time the owner paid for the service. These chains are known for charging for services they do not perform.

Exactly what I was thinking. Another reason to do it yourself if you can, or use a mechanic you can trust if not. At the very least watch the Iffy Lube guys perform the service.

If he has all of the receipts for all of those 3500-5000 mile (or kilometer) oil changes, with no other underlying cause, then someone will be buying him a new engine.

Remember this post is from a mechanic at a shop, not the owner, nor Jiffy Lube.

I think i'm going to take the owner's words with a grain of salt.

When the owner says "oh i get my oil changed at Jiffy Lube", what they really mean is they had the oil changed once at Jiffy Lube 10 years ago, and oh wait that was the other car.

And of course a "real" mechanic has a bit of a bias to look down on quicklube places as doing shoddy work

Last edited:
Good point raytseng...IF he went in every 3-5k and IF the Iffy Lube changed it every time, it would certainly not look like that.....

Originally Posted By: mrdctaylor
Supposedly the oil was changed every 3500-5000K miles with Pennzoil conventional. This doesn't seem possible...does it?

You've been here long enough to know that this is absolute hogwash. Of course, every engine that's sludged up is really that way because of PYB/QS/Castrol/whatever else always changed at really short intervals. It's never due to actual lack of maintenance.

Wow...reddit has many morons and one of them has an ASE symbol by his screen name. Of course not really a surprise to me. The two worst techs(and I use that term very loosely here)I ever worked with were ASE master technicians.

I'm willing to bet the oil in that car was never changed,and at the most maybe topped off if need be. I have friends who used the cheapest grocery store brand generics from the 1980s-present and never had the slightest sign of sludge.

When I used to work at the dealership back in the late 90s, there was a tech that got fired for not changing oil and stealing oil filters. Pretty low if you ask me.

Clearly something is wrong. PYB is a very good oil, some people on here make it out to be almost holy, but nobody on here will say it's a bad oil. It definitely wouldn't cause that if it was legitimately being changed every 3k miles.

Actually I got all sludged up from PYB in 3.0 Mitsu V6, so it can happen regular OCI and Im taking about chunks falling out.
Circa 2005 or so and again in 2010 with a higher quality Pennzoil.
That engine hated Pennzoil don't know why, it had zero problems with all other oils.

It wasn't as bad as that pic clearly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back