Tire dressings

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't dress my tires very often, but I had the urge to do some detailing today. Didn't have time to even get a good full wash in, but I mixed up some Meguiars APC and cleaned up the truck wheels real good. Followed it up with the same brand "Ultimate Protectant" which I have used in the past with good results. I like the nice semi-gloss, deep black finish it leaves. Anybody have other recommendations for a quick and easy product to leave a deep, black, semi-gloss finish on tires?

Meguiar's endurance tire dressing. Purple bottle. I believe the milky white ones like that are water based, which won't damage your paint if they sling off. The super high gloss ones can screw up your paint if they sling off your tire at high speed.

I used to use Endurance and would definitely again if/when I run out of other options. IIRC, though, you have to be careful because a little too much and it'll sling a lot.

I use 3M tire restorer, layer it 15 mins apart depending on how much shine I want. Seems to work well. You can also head over to Autogeek to check out some newer tire coatings like PERL which are a lot more permanent.

Last time I was in Discount they had this tire shine stuff on their showroom tires that wasn't the least bit wet or sticky to the touch,it was completely dry. I wonder what it was? I didn't think to ask them.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Last time I was in Discount they had this tire shine stuff on their showroom tires that wasn't the least bit wet or sticky to the touch,it was completely dry. I wonder what it was? I didn't think to ask them.

Meguiars Hyper Dressing...at least that's what the bottles say.

I've used cleaners before, but that's it.

Do any of these products protect, as well? I really couldn't care less about how my sidewalls look, but if it keeps the brake dust and other pollutants from possibly eating at or degrading them, then I'm all for it.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

Do any of these products protect, as well? I really couldn't care less about how my sidewalls look, but if it keeps the brake dust and other pollutants from possibly eating at or degrading them, then I'm all for it.

Nope - strictly appearance.

Any "UV inhibitors" in the product are minimal and very short-lived. In other words, none of the products out there provide any meaningful amount of protection.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: gathermewool

Nope - strictly appearance.

Any "UV inhibitors" in the product are minimal and very short-lived. In other words, none of the products out there provide any meaningful amount of protection.

Is there any point in cleaning the tires with a dedicated product then? In other words, to keep tires as healthy as possible, for as long as possible, is anything better than simply driving through a puddle every now and again?

Originally Posted By: Nukeman7
Surf City Garage's Beyond Black Tire Pro leaves a low-sheen that makes it look like new rubber with no shine. It is available off the shelf at WalMart and Pep Boys for a reasonable price. I buy the trigger spray bottle because it is more convenient to apply than the squirt bottle.

http://surfcitygarage.com/car-care/tire-wheel/beyond-black-tire-pro.html

I think on next Amazon order I'll throw a bottle of this in and give it a try.
Been using SC Barrier Reef paste in a can, then recently started using SC Garage 101 Clearly Better Glass Cleaner and have been happy with them.

For tires, been using "No Touch" but instead of spraying on the tires, I spray on a mitt and hand wipe it around the tire. Haven't tried anything else for years, so I'll SC tire stuff & give it a go. Liked the Amazon reviews also.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

I've had tire rotations done at DT and when I got home the stuff they used slung onto the body even though I asked them not to put their dressing on the tires. Happened twice in a row now.

I've been using the Meguiar's "Natural Shine" (used to be called "Clean, Shine, & Protect," I think) for some years. The stuff dries to a nice sheen, not shiny or wet-looking, enough to make the tires look new and clean. Last year with an Amazon card I picked up a bottle of the famous 303 Aerospace Protectant, and it works about the same. When it's gone I'm going back to the Meguiar's.

You can buy sponge applicators at PepBoys, 2 to a packet, that have a hard yellow rubber grip on one side and a foamy sponge on the other. You spray the sponge and wipe along the tire, and on other plastic surfaces you want to doll up, like mirror trim. The applicators can be washed a number of times before they fall apart. They're much better than wiping with a paper towel.

Currently using Armor All Extreme Tire Gel. It was on sale and came with the applicator. Too good of a deal to pass up;)

To be honest I wasn't expecting much but have been pleasantly surprised. I like the gel applicator over spray and the product has lasted a good amount of time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back