UV Tire Protectant

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, in an attempt to not lose a 4th set of tires on the F350 to dryrot ... does anyone have any suggestions on some sort of UV resistant tire protectant? Something like sunblock for tires? I think this would also come in handy for my bicycle carrier with rubber cradles.

I have seen such things on RV sites - but I trust the opinions and recommendations here on BITOG. Seems like they are just applied? Even if they have to be reapplied after each use, I don't think it would be a big deal as the truck is only driven a few times a year.

Aerospace 303 protectant is well-regarded here as is actually protects rather than merely shines. And of course there are the RV fabric tire covers...

If its driven a few times a year, then some type of physical cover. Your in NY so how strong can the sun be for a couple of months? Its not like Onondaga County is at the equator.

Originally Posted By: Donald
If its driven a few times a year, then some type of physical cover. Your in NY so how strong can the sun be for a couple of months? Its not like Onondaga County is at the equator.

That's what I have always thought, but the truck has lost 3 sets of tires to dryrotting already!

Firestone Steeltex Radial, Goodyear Workhorse and most recently Uniroyal Liberator.

The enemies of tires are heat, inactivity, ozone, and UV light- in that order. Heat is probably not your problem.
smile.gif
Probably not UV light, either.

Drive it more often to keep the rubber more flexible. The chemical dynamics were described in someone's post here and too complex for me to remember. Here we go:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=30

Originally Posted By: HangFire
The enemies of tires are heat, inactivity, ozone, and UV light- in that order. Heat is probably not your problem.
smile.gif
Probably not UV light, either.

Drive it more often to keep the rubber more flexible. The chemical dynamics were described in someone's post here and too complex for me to remember. Here we go:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=30

It gets driven a lot! It had a whole 250 miles put on it in 2014!!! And I think 300 in 2013!

You should drive it once every 2-3 weeks getting the engine and exhaust hot.

You could have gas issues due to stale E10 gas, and mice issues and tire issues and battery issues.

I'm 70 miles away from it. It has a battery tender on it all the time. I was surprised at how well it started after sitting from 10/2014 to 4/2015.

I put 200 or so miles on it this weekend. Through the hills, to, so it got up to temp. Even managed to burn the milkshake off the oil cap!

Does it sit outside or is it garaged while it's not in use? The only thing I've found that preserves plastic and/or rubber is to just keep it out of the weather.

If you only use it once/5mo., I'd use spray silicone on both sides + the tread. Maybe a can/tire? Second, I'd jack it up so there's no weight on them. Third, I'd cover all four tires with a UV-resistant fabric, like Sunbrella.

Extreme? Yes. But you did say you've lost 4 sets now to dry rot and that's got to be expensive.

I have 4 1/2 year old BFG Long Trail Tour T/A tire on my 2002 F-150. The tread is still good but I see cracks in the tread valley's. The truck lives in a temperate climate here in NW NJ. It is out doors 24/7 and is used 100% from late Oct to late April. The rest of the time it shares with my car for usage in the "warmer" temps. I'll check with BFG and see what they say about the cracking between the treads on a 4 1/2 year old tire.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Miller88
The most recent set that "died" were from 2008. I have the pictures linked in a different thread.

A few years back I read my Michelin tire literature and they dictated a tire lifetime of 7 years, period, no warranty at all after 7 years from manufacture.

I recall a rubber manufacturer telling me that changes to synthetic rubber process to eliminate CFC's and organic volatiles meant that new rubber just doesn't last as long as the old stuff. Those changes were made in the early 2000's.

So, worst case you should expect tires to last at least 7 years. If you use them more you can stretch that a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back