Small Engine Selection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forgetting cost, if you have the option of the following three engines on the 60" zero turn mower you were buying which would you choose.

Kawasaki FS (726CC) - 40 ft-lbs of torque at 2600RPM
Kohler Confidant (747CC) - 42.4 ft-lbs at 2600RPM
Briggs Cyclonic (810CC) - 42 ft-lbs at 2400RPM

The mower would be used in a residential setting, but my expectation is for it to last a VERY long time. Fuel efficiency is also a consideration, but if the better engine burns a little more, it's just my home and I'm not pinching pennies on a business expense.

All 3 have cast iron cylinder liners and pressure lubrication. Kawasaki will be the most expensive to repair most likely. Honestly, residential use, they all will be way over kill and will last a long long time.

Thanks. I was thinking for my use all would be overkill and last a very long time.

In terms of fuel efficiency, I would assume the Briggs would be the worse due to it's size, unless they have something else going for it.

How many acres do you have to mow? How about an articulating mower. I think a zero turn is probably overkill for most homeowners. If you have many acres to cut, get a compact diesel farm tractor with a belly or PTO finish mower.

I would go with the Kawasaki, but that's just me.
I've had great luck with them over the years and they outlast every mower i've put one on.

It's probably the most fuel-efficient too. My Z-turn has a Kawasaki FR651V and it's a V-twin Beast.

Last edited:
I think it was JTK that told me that one-lung engines tend to burn less fuel than multi. The 1-cyl 14hp briggs on my smallish ztr after 3 years of use is remarkably efficient. it uses less fuel every year. New, it was ~1.25 gallon per mow, 2x per tank. I can mow 3-4 times per tank now.

TEST DRIVE all. Contrary to what I expected, the one lung briggs is easier to sit on than the v-twin option I looked at. There is no vibration from the briggs in comparison.

Originally Posted By: Donald
How many acres do you have to mow? How about an articulating mower. I think a zero turn is probably overkill for most homeowners. If you have many acres to cut, get a compact diesel farm tractor with a belly or PTO finish mower.

Those articulating mowers seems they would have there short comings comparing it to a zero turn. If you have your heart set on a zero turn, get it. They are not overkill for an average homeowner if you get an entry level model. Tractors are good for versatility, but not as nice to mow with.

Originally Posted By: racer12306
Thanks. I was thinking for my use all would be overkill and last a very long time.

In terms of fuel efficiency, I would assume the Briggs would be the worse due to it's size, unless they have something else going for it.

I would guess the Briggs fuel economy is not a whole lot worse, if not the same as the Kohler. Even if the Biggs displacement is bigger, the Kohler has a slightly higher power rating a higher RPM. So those 2 could be about the same in fuel economy. The Kawasaki seems it would do the best, but not a whole lot better. I wouldn't worry too much about fuel ecomony since they about the same. I would choose Kawasaki since is what I choose of would been the better one.

Forgetting cost, if you have the option of the following three engines on the 60" zero turn mower you were buying which would you choose.

Kawasaki FS (726CC) - 40 ft-lbs of torque at 2600RPM
Kohler Confidant (747CC) - 42.4 ft-lbs at 2600RPM
Briggs Cyclonic (810CC) - 42 ft-lbs at 2400RPM

The mower would be used in a residential setting, but my expectation is for it to last a VERY long time. Fuel efficiency is also a consideration, but if the better engine burns a little more, it's just my home and I'm not pinching pennies on a business expense.

I own that particular Briggs (at least same basic architecture if not the same exact configuration) and its run in that same application. Its only been in service for me 2 years, but it hasn't so much as burped. Its an AMAZING engine, great power, great load response, and very, very smooth. I had always been dubious of V-twins because of the slight odd-firing nature, but I can now attest that its not even detectable unless you used a microphone and an oscilloscope! I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

In my previous home I had about 5 acres of grass to mow and I used a Kubota L225 with a 60" PTO finish mower. It banged out the grass pretty fast and I could have used a 72" to get it done faster. It took another 30 minutes to do trimming with weed whacker and push mower.

I do not think there is a comparison in durability between a Kubota or JD compact tractor and a zero turn from almost any company.

Those are all great engines.

To me, it would be more about the design and build quality of the machine, drive system and cutting deck. Comfort at the controls and comfort of use are really important. Lastly would be the make/model of the engine. A quality machine is going to have a great engine on it.

All the above being good and you could still select one of the three engines, I'd probably go with Kawasaki, only because I've owned and used JD products with Kawi engines that had tons of hours on them and never an issue.

Last edited:
How big of a spread are you mowing?

IMO the maintenance costs on a zero-turn alone are too ridiculous for residential use.

I only have experience with Kohler v-twins and I have not had an issue. They are a pleasure to own and operate.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
All 3 have cast iron cylinder liners and pressure lubrication. Kawasaki will be the most expensive to repair most likely. Honestly, residential use, they all will be way over kill and will last a long long time.

+1

I mow 21 acres here at my home in north surburban Dayton,Ohio Ive had very good luck with kawasaki engines in my fleet. Ive seen (and repaired rocker arm and stud problems) with my neighbors LATE MODEL Kohlers. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the opinions. I know I am going to spend more on this mower than most people here suggest and I know it is overkill for a homeowner. I "only" have 1.3 acres, so do I need a mid range ZTR, no. Do I want one, yes. Why? because it will knock out the mowing very quick and I don't want to spend the money on a cheapened residential mower. I expect my next mower to last more than my last mower (23+ years). I don't mind mowing, and if I loved mowing I'd just keep going with my JD STX30 and take 3hours to do it, but I don't want to spend 3 hours every weekend (or twice a week as needed) to mow the lawn.

Either way, I appreciate the engine opinions. Only real bad thing was about the Kohlers, but I'd have to do more research to see if it's a widespread issue.

Among the choices listed, FS gets my vote. Cyclonic is merely an updated Intek, and the Confidant (catchy names, huh?) employs their "quiet cam" tech -- rounded lobe and nylon gear to dampen noise.

If this is something you plan on keeping, the decision is an easy one.

Originally Posted By: Donald
In my previous home I had about 5 acres of grass to mow and I used a Kubota L225 with a 60" PTO finish mower. It banged out the grass pretty fast and I could have used a 72" to get it done faster. It took another 30 minutes to do trimming with weed whacker and push mower.

I do not think there is a comparison in durability between a Kubota or JD compact tractor and a zero turn from almost any company.

Its hard to disagree, but the right choice really depends a lot on the whole life-cycle cost and application more than just brute durability. A compact tractor starts at what, $18k with only a mower attachment (Kubota B-series, more for the green paint on a Deere). An absolute Cadillac of the large end of homeowner-sized/small commercial zero-turns (Ferris IS700, for example) with the same size mower deck is less than 1/2 that. On top of that, ZTs are pretty brutally reliable, and these days are dead-nuts simple. Three belts (including the one in the mower deck), one electric PTO, no distributed hydraulic system at all. Two self-contained hydro pump/motor assemblies (one for each wheel) that have no external fluid path and are pretty much industry standard and widely available (Hydro-gear ZT3400). I think for a machine that's ONLY going to mow, a ZT is more cost effective over its life. If you need something that can plow, front-end load, AND mow, then sure the tractor is better and will last forever. But its also definitely more complex. I think I could fix just about anything on the Ferris in an afternoon once I had the part in-hand, but something deep in the gearbox/hydro system of a compact tractor? Not so much.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Its hard to disagree, but the right choice really depends a lot on the whole life-cycle cost and application more than just brute durability. A compact tractor starts at what, $18k with only a mower attachment (Kubota B-series, more for the green paint on a Deere). An absolute Cadillac of the large end of homeowner-sized/small commercial zero-turns (Ferris IS700, for example) with the same size mower deck is less than 1/2 that. On top of that, ZTs are pretty brutally reliable, and these days are dead-nuts simple. Three belts (including the one in the mower deck), one electric PTO, no distributed hydraulic system at all. Two self-contained hydro pump/motor assemblies (one for each wheel) that have no external fluid path and are pretty much industry standard and widely available (Hydro-gear ZT3400). I think for a machine that's ONLY going to mow, a ZT is more cost effective over its life. If you need something that can plow, front-end load, AND mow, then sure the tractor is better and will last forever. But its also definitely more complex. I think I could fix just about anything on the Ferris in an afternoon once I had the part in-hand, but something deep in the gearbox/hydro system of a compact tractor? Not so much.

This times 1000. A top end zero turn will also cut HOURS off of your mowing time. If you are only going to use it to cut lawns, the zero turn is probably the better option.

Thanks for all the opinions. I know I am going to spend more on this mower than most people here suggest and I know it is overkill for a homeowner. I "only" have 1.3 acres, so do I need a mid range ZTR, no. Do I want one, yes. Why? because it will knock out the mowing very quick and I don't want to spend the money on a cheapened residential mower. I expect my next mower to last more than my last mower (23+ years). I don't mind mowing, and if I loved mowing I'd just keep going with my JD STX30 and take 3hours to do it, but I don't want to spend 3 hours every weekend (or twice a week as needed) to mow the lawn.

Either way, I appreciate the engine opinions. Only real bad thing was about the Kohlers, but I'd have to do more research to see if it's a widespread issue.

Good choice going with the more expensive model than you really need. And honestly, a medium range or pro model zero turn will last you 20 years mowing only 1.3 acres a week. Good choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back