Old Tools

Status
Not open for further replies.
The left front door of the Avalon has a bolt that gets loose, like clockwork, about once per year. I tighten it.

So this time around I got my SK 1/2 inch drive socket wrench out to do so. As I did, I was talking to the local security guard who is a buddy of mine. I was telling him how I got that wrench in June, 1975. I bought it at a Grand Auto store in the San Francisco Bay area.

We were talking about how the world has change in the 40 years since. More than half the people in the world were not alive when I got that wrench. Everything about America has changed in one way or another. And at the rate the wrench is holding out, it will easily last another 200 years.

When I got the wrench I was in college, and he was in high school in Amman, Jordan.

Forty years...how about you? Do you have old stuff that brings memories?

Originally Posted By: Cristobal
The left front door of the Avalon has a bolt that gets loose, like clockwork, about once per year. I tighten it.

Blue or red Loctite my friend. Last time you'll ever have to tighten it.

I have tools in my box that were my father's, purchased before WW-2 guaranteed for life by Montgomery Wards. None have broken in professional use by me in the last 50yrs. Made in, of all places, America.
I wonder where I'd take a broken tool if need be.

Smoky

The basics on my Craftsman tool collection go back to a set I bought in 1970. I've added to it since, but the drives, sockets, and screw drivers are still in use.

Sure-I have lots of tools from the 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's. A number of Wizard, Craftsman, Powr-Kraft, Lectrolite and unbranded tools. All of them have a story to tell.

My favorite is probably my watch. It's a Timex Marlin that I purchased when I was about 15 or so (around 1958 or 1959)-I purchased it out of the $50 I made for working on the farm all summer. It's actually requires the wearer to remember to wind it every night before going to bed. It's been cleaned and the glass replaced a couple times throughout the years, and it's literally been all over the world with me. I still wear it every day and it still keeps accurate time, even after 56 or 57 years.

I also enjoy listening to my Philco model 19b radio, circa 1933. I like thinking back about all the history that has passed through the speaker-FDR's Fireside Chats, information about multiple wars, the first and second use of atomic bombs, the moon landing, families listening to ball games, Jack Benny, and a whole host of other events that would have been heard through its speaker over the last 82 years.

We also have a German clock from about 1860 or so that is in our dining room. It was given to my wife when she was just a couple years old and her dad was stationed in Germany after the end of WWII. The amount of history it has seen in the last 155 years is mind-boggling. It was new when Lincoln was assassinated. It was around and survived both world wars. Sometimes it feels like we're just the caretakers, preserving it for the next generation who I hope will appreciate it as much as we do.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Sure-I have lots of tools from the 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's. A number of Wizard, Craftsman, Powr-Kraft, Lectrolite and unbranded tools. All of them have a story to tell.

My favorite is probably my watch. It's a Timex Marlin that I purchased when I was about 15 or so (around 1958 or 1959)-I purchased it out of the $50 I made for working on the farm all summer. It's actually requires the wearer to remember to wind it every night before going to bed. It's been cleaned and the glass replaced a couple times throughout the years, and it's literally been all over the world with me. I still wear it every day and it still keeps accurate time, even after 56 or 57 years.

I also enjoy listening to my Philco model 19b radio, circa 1933. I like thinking back about all the history that has passed through the speaker-FDR's Fireside Chats, information about multiple wars, the first and second use of atomic bombs, the moon landing, families listening to ball games, Jack Benny, and a whole host of other events that would have been heard through its speaker over the last 82 years.

We also have a German clock from about 1860 or so that is in our dining room. It was given to my wife when she was just a couple years old and her dad was stationed in Germany after the end of WWII. The amount of history it has seen in the last 155 years is mind-boggling. It was new when Lincoln was assassinated. It was around and survived both world wars. Sometimes it feels like we're just the caretakers, preserving it for the next generation who I hope will appreciate it as much as we do.

OH! Sing , Dennis

I've ended up with lots of my Grandpa's power tools. I always think of him when I use them. The funny part of it all is that he never let me use them when he was alive, he'd always step in at that point. I'm happy to have his love of woodworking.

I get much the same feeling with my other Grandfather's fishing stuff...

Originally Posted By: CT8
Nothing like the high quality Harbor Freight tools. [sarcasm]

Truer words have never been spoken. lol

(Northern Tool isn't far behind)

crazy.gif

Last edited:
I have a hand rotary drill, wood plane and folding tape measure that belonged to my grandfather on my dad's side of the family. GF died in 1961. I have my dad's Craftsman machinist tool box as he was a Linotype machinist. Still has some cold type brass keys in it.
I also have an SK 3/8 ratchet set I bought back in 1971. Broke head bolts loose on a Chevy 396 back then with it. Cheater pipe was used. Still works perfect to this day.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

Blue or red Loctite my friend. Last time you'll ever have to tighten it.

Wow, this is like the Twilight Zone. What gave you the impression that I was asking about how to stop a bolt becoming lose? This thread is about an entirely different subject.

Most of my tools date from the '70's - I started my apprenticeship in 1970, and have been buying tools ever since. I still have some of my fathers tools - I have his Tipco 3/4 drive socket set, but it's Whitworth! So I've got some 3/4 sockets and still use the ratchet and extensions.

My SK flex head ratchet is 35 years old, they used to be marketed as a sparkplug ratchet, I like the long length. Like Grandad's wheelbarrow, it's had a replacement pawl kit (actually out of the standard ratchet which is still in use at home) and a new handle. I still use it everyday.

A number of my tools came from my brother, he's 15 years older than me. When I was a young teen, he would give me good quality tools at birthday time or Christmas. He was starting me out right. I still have most of the tools he gave me and they still provide good service some 40 years later.

50 year old Stanley spring clamp my Dad used to help build me a canoe, it still works great and brings back a flood of memories .

My grandfather's fence barbed wire tool, aka fencing pliers , he always told me they cost him $1.

At my age most all my tools are old and yes many of them bring back good memories.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back