Honda lawn mower owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Checked the search here and google and didn't find anything.

Considering Honda HRR216PKA 160cc Gas 21 in. 3-in-1 Lawn Mower

No where on the specs does it say oil and gas are separate, are they, or is it mixed? Please tell me it is separate, so that I can add the best synthetic from my stash, and change the oil 25 hours/1yr which ever is sooner?

Yes the oil and gas are separate. You normal people are a hoot!
crackmeup2.gif

I don't think there are any 2-stroke mowers being made, any more. I have a commercial push model Honda mower and it's a very good mower. I really like the 2 blade mulching setup. I use the same oil as in my cars listed below.

I had a 2-stroke mower as a grade school student cutting neighbor's lawns. I liked it because it was so simple and easy to work on and was much more powerful and lighter than 4-stroke mower that I started with before I traded up to the 2-stroke. I used Chevron White Pump gasoline (this was the 50's and early 60's) and mixed it with caster based oil. I really like the smell and the extra cleaning required was easy and worth the trouble because it did such a good job lubricating the engine.

Yes, I think the last generally available 2-cycle engine was the Lawn-Boy Duraforce, available through about 2005 or 2006. I remember Lowe's clearancing them out for $300 each.

Originally Posted By: 285south
Checked the search here and google and didn't find anything.

Considering Honda HRR216PKA 160cc Gas 21 in. 3-in-1 Lawn Mower

No where on the specs does it say oil and gas are separate, are they, or is it mixed? Please tell me it is separate, so that I can add the best synthetic from my stash, and change the oil 25 hours/1yr which ever is sooner?

I have, and use almost daily, a Honda HRR216VKA. It's a great mower for the price, never a second's trouble out of it - even in commercial use. The only issue for me is that the gas tank could be larger. Not an issue for the standard home-owner though. It cuts great, really like the variable-speed drive system, and the twin-blade configuration makes mulching a dream.

More to your question - I change oil every 50-hours and don't worry about it. These Honda engines are not particular, but I use DELO 5w40 in all my OPE and couldn't be happier.

Last edited:
Well my dad had a McLane reel mower and that thing was a tank, 2 years ago it was $575 or so at Home Depot, and now it cost $745 online now. Unless I find an extra grand somewhere I will be going with the Honda. But prefer reel over horizontal blades.

edit: Fuel will be Chevron since I would not have to worry about adding Redline SI fuel additive.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Yes the oil and gas are separate. You normal people are a hoot!
crackmeup2.gif

Everyone here has listed their mower and we are waiting for yours!

Originally Posted By: 285south
edit: Fuel will be Chevron since I would not have to worry about adding Redline SI fuel additive.

You'll still probably want to use a fuel stabilizer to prevent degradation.

Fuel stabilizer, check.

Do they come with Factory-filled oil or will I be grabbing a bottle of syn from my stash? I'm not worried about break-in, if I use great oil from the start.

If that's the case then I would be using first a bottle of Pennz Ultra (old 2013 formula.) Second OCI would be with with remaining 12 oz oil from it and German Castrol. Third would be the rest of the GC bottle and a tea spoon of LM Ceratec, since GC has no moly in it. 4th,5th, etc is what ever I have in my stash and would be posted in the Lawn mower OCI changed thread.

They usually come with a 12 ounce bottle of Honda branded 10W30 conventional oil. Use that for the first 25 hours and than use your synthetic 10W30 every 50 hours after that.

I still prefer to break in engines on conventional even if some people here say that isn't required. Just an old habit of mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back