Pure 1 opened up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Coincidentally this afternoon I cut a Pure One PL10111 that came off our Lumina a while back. Yep, it was torn.
frown.gif

Pics or it did not happen (well, at least that is what the P1 police will say).
crackmeup2.gif

I know. I rarely have time for such things anymore. The issue is well documented already and those who wont believe wouldnt anyway. I wonder how many have been missed? Had I not known where to look I doubt I would have spotted them. Small tears on both ends of a single pleat next to the glued seam.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Coincidentally this afternoon I cut a Pure One PL10111 that came off our Lumina a while back. Yep, it was torn.
frown.gif

You lie! Even if the tear was near the dome, you cut it wrong!!!
crackmeup2.gif

KCJeep has a valid filter cutting training certificate.
laugh.gif

Its a shame that purolater went from a decent choice in filters to junk pretty quick that was my go to filter for over 20 years. Don't get me wrong i would never consider a fram orange can or any other fram filter except maybe the ultra i tried one and so far so good. I will get a uoa and cut it opened when it hits 10,000 miles i will change the oil 1 time at 5000 miles but leave the filter to about 10,000 miles and report back. The ultra looks like a nice filter i am still not certain about the flow though but fram claims the flow is good.

^^^ The flow is nothing to worry about - mostly with a positive displacement oil pump (been over that a dozen times). Full synthetic media flows better than cellulose.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
What will tear next? Running out of tear materials, will it be the gasket?

After that, I think they'll start making the filter cans out of beer cans - you know how easy those are to tear when you give them a little bend.

Quote:
Never seen a torn adbv. That's......

Afaicr here, I've only seen it one other time. Same op.

Originally Posted By: Garak
After that, I think they'll start making the filter cans out of beer cans.....

With the ownership calling the shots for awhile now, the 'they' being Mann&Hummel, suppose anything is possible.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
A torn adbv is not an advertising plus for Tearolator brand oil filters. What will tear next? Running out of tear materials, will it be the gasket?

Actually, it was a few years ago but I think I remember "Leak-o-lators" having gasket issues. Not as big if an issue and user error might have helped the reporting but at this point it is either the can or the box itself.

Thomasew, if you run another purolator it might be interesting to test the adbv before cutting it. I think you can probably block the center hole and see if oil leaks out.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
With the ownership calling the shots for awhile now, the 'they' being Mann&Hummel, suppose anything is possible.

What I had hoped with that happening that I'd see some of the improvements in the Purolotor and Bosch North American line, to bring them in line with the German stuff. Particularly, in Canada, the German Mann and German Bosch filters are readily available, even locally, at ridiculously cheap prices. And we know their construction is fine. I'd love finding that kind of filter for my G37 at under $5, like I was with the Audi.

Instead, Purolator has once again gone into retail limbo in Canada, and we have these silly issues cropping up. It's so unfortunately. The Bosch Premium was almost a perfect choice for my G37, with a good price (i.e. under $5 from my one online supplier), a silicone ADBV, and good efficiency.

Oh well, my tried and true Wix filters are in the garage for the next change, since I ran out of free Hastings and that supplier switched to Valvoline filters.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
.....Oh well, my tried and true Wix filters are in the garage for the next change......

Pretty much what I've also gone to for my stash in Napa Gold form. Couple years back I discovered local Napa's twice yearly 40%off NG sale. Able to pick up the spin on for ~$3.60 and the cartridges for ~$4-5, the latter I've also found to be high quality. NG hard to beat for my ocis at those prices.

That said, since I started posting dissection pics in 2010 starting with the Puro made AAP Total Grip and PL14610 to the last PL14610 in my stash posted last year, none had an issue. And a PL14459 showed an interior seam metal crimp, which appeared to be revised design. And I've had similar success with a BD+ 3323 (14610 equivalent), over two ocis.

Be that as it may, I mentioned M&H because whatever one thinks of Purolator and Puro made filters at this point, Mann&Hummel is the name/company ultimately responsible for the product.

As an aside, I appreciate your civil and non sensationalized reply to my comments. But reading your posts and comments for some time, I expected nothing less.

If the ADBV is breaking up that could block an oil passage...

Probably a worse failure than simple torn media.

It is sad, I pretty much only have 1 or 2 oil filters I can pick from on the shelves these days.

I will be nervous when the WIX 57356 all say Hecho en Mexico. So far my stash is all US made.

I don't know if I should use the Pure one I have on hand, or just throw it in the trash bin and forget about I have ever spent $7 on it.

Originally Posted By: 00Max00
I don't know if I should use the Pure one I have on hand, or just throw it in the trash bin and forget about I have ever spent $7 on it.

Use it and cut it. Your engine will not die because of it and it probably will not tear either.

Originally Posted By: 00Max00

If you can return it to the store and feel better about it go ahead that's what I done however the ones that where already in use got ran a full oci and cut and posted here. I only have one clasic in use now on my 93 and it's almost done. Will cut and post that as well as the frams that replaced the puros when they come due.even with a puro tear it shouldn't create damage in an engine imho but it is disappointing to have a product fail that shouldn't that's why I moved on along with the company ignorance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back