10k OCI filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jk_636
Go ahead and use your Fram rock catchers. My engine will be protected by all damaging particles that are above 20 microns!! Go pureone!!!

I applause you for standing on your ground, even when you're wrong.

I'm actually a big fan of Fleetguard, especially the Stratapore & Statapore Venturi versions, and Donaldson Endurance as well-but when I don't feel like spending $15-40 on a filter, an Ultra is hard to pass up for the price, if the engine is worth the money.

Go ahead and use your Fram rock catchers. My engine will be protected by all damaging particles that are above 20 microns!!

Those above 20 micron particles will form a force field protective dome around your engine.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
I'm actually a big fan of Fleetguard, especially the Stratapore & Statapore Venturi versions, and Donaldson Endurance as well-but when I don't feel like spending $15-40 on a filter, an Ultra is hard to pass up for the price, if the engine is worth the money.

You'll find that the Donaldson SYNTEQ filters along with the Fleetguard Stratapore for small diesels and gassers are usually identical and use the same media.

Donaldson is the largest supplier of glass filtration media (since they developed it) and it is used by whomever is contracted to assemble those filters, which may vary depending on the model number. Many (most?) of the AMSOIL and Royal Purple filters are identical in construction with the difference being the colour of the can and ADBV.

This is what makes the statement (made by another poster) that the RP filters are the "best" even more ridiculous. They are identical to the AMSOIL filters, so how can they be better? It isn't like RP has suddenly jumped into manufacturing filters. Champion Labs is doing it (owned by FRAM) and using the same Donaldson-sourced media that they use for the AMSOIL filters.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Go ahead and use your Fram rock catchers. My engine will be protected by all damaging particles that are above 20 microns!! Go pureone!!!

LOL

Pretty sure those tears allow particles larger than 20 microns through
grin.gif

Look I'm not sure why there is all this Haterade being drank around here.

Zeeosix It is this simple. Which rock is larger. One that is 20 feet around or one that is greater than 20 feet around?

When Fram says 99% at >20 microns, that is nothing but underhanded marketing
to swindle those of weak disposition. Yet another reason why I don't use their paper ended products. But I digress...

33.gif

oh my. Not even a grasp on basic math. Yikes. Case closed. Move along people, nothing to see here anymore.

Originally Posted By: webfors
33.gif
oh my. Not even a grasp on basic math. Yikes. Case closed. Move along people, nothing to see here anymore.

01.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
Basic logic is not hard to understand. If you don't get it by now, it is by choice alone.

Apparently, it is. Someone needs to take a calculus class, or at least speak to an engineer, if you don't want to believe mathematicians.

Calculus class? ... they taught what "greater than" and "less than" symbols meant in 4th or 5th grade math class!
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
50.gif

That green dude in the UFO looks like he just put the pipe down.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

It is entertainment after all ...
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Calculus class? ... they taught what "greater than" and "less than" symbols meant in 4th or 5th grade math class!
grin.gif

He's grasped that part, but he needs to understand infinitesimals and how math beyond a 4th or 5th grade level is actually applied in engineering.

^^^ Prelude to calculus.

Teacher: "Johnny, is 30 greater than 20?"

Johnny: "Yes, Ms Clark."

Teacher: "Is 23 greater than 20?"

Johnny: "Yes"

Teacher: "How about 20.5?"

Johnny: "Yes, of course."

Teacher: "Is 20.001?"

Johnny: "Ms Clark, I'm confused all of a sudden. But yes, I guess so."

Teacher: "That's right Johnny."

Johnny: "Oh, I get it ... any number higher than 20 is greater than 20, even if it's just by a super small amount!"

Teacher: "Yes! So what does that mean in the end?"

Johnny: "Well, I guess it means that as you approach 20 and the numbers get closer and closer to 20, that it basically means it is equal to 20 for all practical purposes, even if it's bigger by just a super small amount."

Teacher: "Johnny ... you're ready to sign up on BITOG and start discussing oil filter efficiency now! And next year you can enroll in per-calculus class."

grin.gif
laugh.gif

You lecture me on mathematics while at the same time claiming that "20.001 is close enough to 20 for all practical purposes"?

More Fram logic. You have to love it

Last time I checked, mathematics was based on absolutes. I never had a math professor that said my answer was close enough to get credit.

It either is or it isn't. This isn't horseshoes or hand grenades.

So moral of the story:

Little Johnny: which filter is better? One that filters things as small as 20 microns or one that filters things somewhere above 20 microns? But of course we aren't sure where that number above 20 falls?

Teacher: Johnny stop asking silly questions. The truth is like cigarettes, butter, sunshine and Fram Ultras....people used to think they were good for you.

Absolutes are one thing, but when it comes to physics and engineering, there are error bars. The error analysis is at least as important as the actual data itself.

Depending upon rounding to significant figures, 20.001 is 20. If you want to be pedantic, the difference between "greater than" and "greater than or equal to" is essentially irrelevant here because of error bars. If one really wants to get into it, there's the notion of infinitesimals or the Planck length, depending upon one's approach.

The truth is like cigarettes, butter, sunshine and Fram Ultras....people used to think they were good for you.
With the exception of cigarettes all of these are good for you when used in moderation. The good thing is that since FRAM Ultras will go to 15K or beyond one does not have to use as many of them, hence in moderation...

Originally Posted By: Garak

Depending upon rounding to significant figures, 20.001 is 20. If you want to be pedantic, the difference between "greater than" and "greater than or equal to" is essentially irrelevant here because of error bars.

Depending upon rounding to significant figures, 20.499 is 20.

I can't believe you guys are wasting your time arguing this topic with justkidding_636?? This has been answered by Motorking and is a complete waste of time rehashing.

First of all, it does not stand for "just kidding"

Secondly Motorking would be the least likely person to add beneficial input to this discussion as he is a company representative and would only regurgitate the same marketing info over and over again.

Nothing against motorking but he has an obvious vested interest in the continuity of not only his company, but the marketing techniques they employ. He could not be objective in this discussion.

Secondly Motorking would be the least likely person to add beneficial input to this discussion...
But, of course, you are? After all, you have never used the product, so that qualifies you as an expert to objectively slam the FRAM Ultra...right?

Im still not sold on the flow though... Im old school and i believe when an oil filter filters better then the flow suffers to some extent. That is why the engine makers oil filters are known here as rock catches...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back