C-4 Corvette

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fellow Bitoger's, I am considering buying a 1984 Corvette. Now, before you get all bent outta shape and tell me what a dog they are, please know I am very much aware of that. They were rated at a tire smoking 205 horsepower! The cross fire fuel injection was only used for a few years on this car and the F body, iirc. My question and concern deals with the MECHANICAL RELIABILITY of the 1984 model year. After considerable research on the internet, the cross fire fuel injection system doesn't seem to be as bad as I thought it was. I'm looking at a very clean, well maintained car with low miles with a very interesting price tag. The '84 will never be a high dollar car but a really nice one should be worth $4500-$6000 or so. I ask you to please refrain from telling me that they are slow, ride rough, have no resale value, are ugly, or other such unasked for advice! Again, my concern is the MECHANICAL RELIABILITY and that is all! I certainly thank you and appreciate you sharing your knowledge with me on here.

Last edited:
You sound as though you already know the 84's shortcomings.
But why not buy a later model C4 that had all those problems worked out? Even a 92 with an LT1/6-speed won't be very expensive. And much more fun to drive.

Unless you're just wanting the '84 for the historical significance of being the 1st model yr of gen 4 after the skipping of 1983, I'd get a later model. 1992 was 1st year of the LT1 motor, which was an improvement over the L98. 1992 and 93 had it with Speed Density method of EFI, with 1994 introducing the Mass Air Flow sensor method. 1992 through 1994 there was an issue with water/condensate getting in the Opti-Spark distributor. 1995 they vented it with vacuum hose attached to solve the problem. Opti-Spark only on the LT-1's the L98's had the more conventional distributor. I know you said not to sound off about later models but I had to. I used to have a 1995 and was up on all the tech stuff on the C4 gen. What I've put here is all from spur of the moment memory. The King daddy of C4's would be the ZR-1 with the 32 valve motor built by Lotus (?...), followed by the Grand Sport in '96 with the LT4. The LT4 could also be had in the non-grand sport models but only with the 6-speed manual. LT4 had roller rockers and some other upgrades and was rated @ 330hp to the LT1's 300hp. A '96 with the LT4 will still run with some of the best sports cars today, given that you have upgraded the suspension with a camber brace and some other bits I forget at the moment. Note I said sports cars of today not muscle cars.

Miss my '95 sometimes. The C4 body style is a love-hate thing, you either love it or hate it. I liked the sleek look and the flip up headlights were cool too. They didn't just pop-up they did a full somersault flip.

Originally Posted By: HM12460
my concern is the MECHANICAL RELIABILITY and that is all! I certainly thank you and appreciate you sharing your knowledge with me on here.

In general, the first year of production of a given body style has problems with reliability, squeaks, and rattles. The 4+3 transmission is a known issue in any Corvette. The Crossfire injection system is reliable enough, but had major issues in mixture distribution, and was really only carryover until the TPI engine reached production. And in the '84 redesign, the front and rear suspension designs were all new, too. The engine is good old all cast-iron small-block Chevy, and will not rev over 4800 rpm, so it will be reliable.

There's a reason that 84's don't sell for as much as later-model C4's: they're not as valuable.

Last edited:
I would think the part most likely to give you grief would be the transmission. Either the manual or auto were not great in those years. But you may find one that has been upgraded or rebuilt over the years and not be any problem. Yes, the ride rougher than a modern sports car but they are great handling cars that are very fun to drive!

It's a 31 year old car, you don't buy it for reliability but the good news is that it is easy to wrench on, parts are readily available and it's COOL! I love the Knight Rider dashboard in these and the bodystyle is beautiful. Nothing screams the 1980's like a C4. I have one of these on my someday list.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I love the Knight Rider dashboard in these

That's one the things that made 80s care so awesome!! I love the digital dashes!! My 86 300ZX turbo had the all digital dash and even had that sexy chick's voice that would talk to you (door is ajar,hatch is ajar,hood is ajar,etc).

Apparently Chrysler didn't think a sexy chick's voice was appropriate for a New Yorker
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Apparently Chrysler didn't think a sexy chick's voice was appropriate for a New Yorker
grin.gif

Haha I remember having a Speak and Spell!! :^)

Here's exactly what mine looked like. Fast forward to 1:12 to hear what was known as "Betty". MUCH better than the Chrysler's man voice haha :^)

Many forget GM's early foray into digital dashboards. How 'bout the Rivvy's complete digital reproduction of an analog dashboard in the late 1980s or early 1990s?

I had a friend in college with a Reatta. That touchscreen in the center of the dash was a real leap for that time period.

That GM dashboard is very impressive especially even after that many years and miles. It is sad that such a talent was completely wasted by the GM management aka Mr Roger Smith and his follow-ons.

A friend drives a very clean, 100% stock, 1987 corvette Z51. Other than idle speed control valves and routine maintenance items (belts/hoses/brakes/old rubber parts), his 'vette has been very reliable for such an old car.

By memory, over the last 5 years:

1) AC failed due to rubber hose failure
2) Catalytic converters failed internally and rattled/blocked exhaust randomly as the guts shifted around
3) Idle control valve failed
4) Map sensor failed

That's all I can think of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back