Reset KAM with tuner vs pull fuse vs disconnect ba

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reset KAM with tuner vs pull fuse vs disconnect battery

My 2012 Fusion (V6 3.0 FWD with 42k) has harsh shift problem. Although I plan to take it to the dealer to get it checked out. I wonder if resetting adaptive transmission like many Mustang owners do helps. If it is worth doing, what is the best way to do it? Of the three methods I mentioned in the title, do all of them require relearn (idle several minutes, turn on AC for one minute, then drive 10 miles)? I tried to use SCT X4 to reset KAM, but it throws CEL with DTC p1639. Maybe bricking the car is also a concern. Disconnecting battery definitely requires relearn, and it also resets radio and may cause other problems. Pulling a fuse seems to be the best way to me. Maybe it just resets adaptive transmission but not other parts of PCM? What is the counterpart in Fusion of fuse 47 of Mustang?

This thread comes up 3 or 4 times a week - the harsh shifting autobox problem that happens, sooner or later, to every car with an automatic.

Next time buy a manual and never have the problem again.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Doesn't the dealer have the ecu fix for that? I'd want to take them up on it while it's free.

The dealer has applied the electronic throttle update, but it didn't do much. I wonder if the dealer is willing to rebuild the transmission or install a new one.

Besides harsh shift, it seems that the powertrain really struggles when accelerating from stop. Lousy acceleration with high shift RPMs.

I had the same car with same complaint. Try a tank of premium. More power, improved shifting and made everything more consistent.

Ford wouldn't touch it. Finally traded it in. Now have a Focus ST with a sweet 6 manual.

I'd get rid of it if I were you.

Originally Posted By: stranger706
I had the same car with same complaint. Try a tank of premium. More power, improved shifting and made everything more consistent.

Ford wouldn't touch it. Finally traded it in. Now have a Focus ST with a sweet 6 manual.

I'd get rid of it if I were you.

I am now using premium fuel in it. I also changed out the old ATF, but the shift quality didn't improve much. Maybe damage has already been done. I tried several custom tunes with SCT tuner. Maybe they made things worse rather than better. I spent thousands on upgrading. I really don't want to give it up just because harsh shift.

Originally Posted By: Olas
This thread comes up 3 or 4 times a week - the harsh shifting autobox problem that happens, sooner or later, to every car with an automatic.

The problem of clutch slippage keeps coming up on forums, it happens sooner or later to every car with a Manual Transmission.

Next time buy an automatic and never have the problem again.

Or, maybe, find a way to produce more useful forum replies.

Some people were able to get it fixed with updates. Others went through trans failure and replacement. Resetting the kam does nothing. Problems return after 50-100 miles.

Running premium was the only thing that helped mine day to day driving. I also changed the fluid. Didn't help. The cold shift flare never went away and was getting worse. Ford wouldn't do anything so I traded it in.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
Originally Posted By: Olas

The problem of clutch slippage keeps coming up on forums, it happens sooner or later to every car with a Manual Transmission.

Next time buy an automatic and never have the problem again.

Or, maybe, find a way to produce more useful forum replies.

Yeah, the problems with clutches (as long as they are not abused) are very rare indeed, most will live as long as 200k+ miles.
Not to mention when the clutch disk needs to be replaced it costs a few hundred not a few thousand or more.
crackmeup2.gif

Stranger706 - good call on switching to a vehicle with a more simple, more reliable and more rugged gear system. Bet you enjoy the involved and dynamic driving, don't you?

Givemeavowel, I can pull my gearbox off, throw a new clutch and flywheel in and put it back together in 3 or 4 hours, working by myself on my driveway for £100 +/- (200 ish dollars)
Re bushing the linkages takes an hour and costs a tenner.

What are the times and costs to pull, repair and replace your auto? Also, can you make your auto select the gear when you need it? Or do you have to wait for the appliance you bought to serve you to decide if it's an appropriate time to do what you want it to?

Some cars with Duratec 30 V6 engine come with manual transmission. I know some people successfully used Fusion V6 3.0 engine in Mazda6 with 5-speed manual. I wonder if it's possible to do a transmission swap in V6 Fusions using any of the manual transmissions.

Originally Posted By: sam369
Some cars with Duratec 30 V6 engine come with manual transmission. I know some people successfully used Fusion V6 3.0 engine in Mazda6 with 5-speed manual. I wonder if it's possible to do a transmission swap in V6 Fusions using any of the manual transmissions.

This man knows the score! Ford and Mazda have been using each others engines and gearboxes for years and years.
Fit a manual and be done with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back