Schaeffer oil's

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have been considering switching over to Schaeffer's 15w40 in my Cummins and have been doing some research on it. One thing I noticed is a lot of people complain about having high lead and iron in their UOA's after running it. I saw some people even switched to a different oil and the high numbers went away. The one question I couldn't find the answer to is why this happens. Does anyone know why?

Originally Posted By: Rendezvous
So I have been considering switching over to Schaeffer's 15w40 in my Cummins and have been doing some research on it. One thing I noticed is a lot of people complain about having high lead and iron in their UOA's after running it. I saw some people even switched to a different oil and the high numbers went away. The one question I couldn't find the answer to is why this happens. Does anyone know why?

You have a Cummins in a Dodge/Ram truck? I'm a journeyman semi diesel and CNG mech at UPS. The detuned 5.9 and 6.7 Cummins used in our yard shifter trucks go over 20K hours running Delo 15W40.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Originally Posted By: Rendezvous

You have a Cummins in a Dodge/Ram truck? I'm a journeyman semi diesel and CNG mech at UPS. The detuned 5.9 and 6.7 Cummins used in our yard shifter trucks go over 20K hours running Delo 15W40.

Yes I have a 6.7 cummins in my Ram pick up. I am aware that Delo works well in the engine but I wasn't questioning if it did or not. I am curious to know the answer to the question I had about Schaeffer's oil.

Higher metals doesn't mean more wear. It could be sooooooo many things. I don't know how many times it needs to be said. It could be as simple as the sheaffers oil cleaned up some deposits which would increase metal numbers due to the metals suspended in the oil that became a deposit.
His wear metals may be reduced because his present oil isn't holding those metals in suspension and may be accumulating in the sump.
Sheaffers is great oil. And they deliver.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Higher metals doesn't mean more wear. It could be sooooooo many things. I don't know how many times it needs to be said. It could be as simple as the sheaffers oil cleaned up some deposits which would increase metal numbers due to the metals suspended in the oil that became a deposit.
His wear metals may be reduced because his present oil isn't holding those metals in suspension and may be accumulating in the sump.
Sheaffers is great oil. And they deliver.

Thanks for the reply. I never thought of that possibly being the reason.

I have been using Schaeffer in my diesels for a long time. I have never had any elevated metals showing up because of using it. Been using the 7000 15w40 syn blend for quite some time. Have several empty drums sitting down in back of my shop to prove it. Need a burn barrel?

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
I have been using Schaeffer in my diesels for a long time. I have never had any elevated metals showing up because of using it. Been using the 7000 15w40 syn blend for quite some time. Have several empty drums sitting down in back of my shop to prove it. Need a burn barrel?

I just installed a bypass kit on the truck and put the 7000 15w40 in it. It kind of surprised me when I saw it was green.

Yeah, that green tint to Schaeffer oil throws people off at first. I am pretty sure it is their proprietary stuff they call Penetro that they combine with their heavier use of MoS2 that gives the green color.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Yeah, that green tint to Schaeffer oil throws people off at first. I am pretty sure it is their proprietary stuff they call Penetro that they combine with their heavier use of MoS2 that gives the green color.

Mos2 is black.

Do you have a lot of extra money to throw away? Apparently. Please send some of that money to me directly. I would really appreciate it and promise to spend it on fine wines and expensive travel. The above is tounge and cheek obviously. The cummins ISB started life as a clacking, dirty, unrefined engine for farm equipment. The ISB has been updated through the the years but at it roots is a pretty basic design. It runs and runs and runs and runs (and runs a little less long with all the EGR and DEF crud on it but it still runs a loooooong time). The beauty of this engine is its a work horse. I'd wager this engine would even run in Wesson cooking oil or use fry oil if it was an emergency. This is a true workhorse....run it hard out its away wet. My buddy is a professional shrimper and his boat has a pair of ISBs that he runs the snot out of....I asked him about his oil change intervals and he says....Oil Chnages?? What? Seriously he assures me at the start of the season the oil gets changed, filters too and that's it nothing but topping off the whole looooong season. I'm rambling but why on earth buy boutique oil for this beast? It's really just peeing away money. There isn't a company in the world that runs these engines for work that uses boutique oils. Like the poster above..says UPS is using Delo. No problems. Buy the cheap stuff and don't worry. I honestly get frustrated when people take a workhorse and then then treat it like its a fine piece of China. The ISB is meant to be abused. So abuse it. IMHO you and many others waaaaay over think the whole oil change and filter and maintenance equation in these engines.

Originally Posted By: ToadU
Do you have a lot of extra money to throw away? Apparently. Please send some of that money to me directly. I would really appreciate it and promise to spend it on fine wines and expensive travel. The above is tounge and cheek obviously. The cummins ISB started life as a clacking, dirty, unrefined engine for farm equipment. The ISB has been updated through the the years but at it roots is a pretty basic design. It runs and runs and runs and runs (and runs a little less long with all the EGR and DEF crud on it but it still runs a loooooong time). The beauty of this engine is its a work horse. I'd wager this engine would even run in Wesson cooking oil or use fry oil if it was an emergency. This is a true workhorse....run it hard out its away wet. My buddy is a professional shrimper and his boat has a pair of ISBs that he runs the snot out of....I asked him about his oil change intervals and he says....Oil Chnages?? What? Seriously he assures me at the start of the season the oil gets changed, filters too and that's it nothing but topping off the whole looooong season. I'm rambling but why on earth buy boutique oil for this beast? It's really just peeing away money. There isn't a company in the world that runs these engines for work that uses boutique oils. Like the poster above..says UPS is using Delo. No problems. Buy the cheap stuff and don't worry. I honestly get frustrated when people take a workhorse and then then treat it like its a fine piece of China. The ISB is meant to be abused. So abuse it. IMHO you and many others waaaaay over think the whole oil change and filter and maintenance equation in these engines.

Why do you care so much? Sorry that I frustrated you so much by asking a question about oil on a oil forum.

I don't care. It's your money. You can put whatever you want in the engine. I'm just trying to get inside yours and others mind. Just like I enjoy sitting and watching people be people. Call it s hobby. Hey so times I serve $100 bottle of wine with hamburgers made from ground chuck. Don't get offended. I just don't get it but I don't understand a lot of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back