What new AWD car for my mom?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 74 year old mom wants to replace her aging Saab with something new. Money and ultimate reliability are not her top priorities. She lives near lake Erie where they get lake effect snow and is wanting AWD. She has had a dedicated winter wheel & tire set up for her Saab based on my recommendation years ago. She only likes sedans and won't consider a CUV, SUV, wagon or hatch. She's picky about seat comfort. She test drove a new Legacy and didn't like the seats. She is wanting something with a rear backup camera and all the new safety gizmos. What can I suggest to her? I know I'll miss something without your guys help.

You failed to mention how much money she has available for this car, so I'm going to recommend the Maserati Ghibli SQ4. Comfy, AWD, plenty of pep, fine looking, and has an exhaust note tuned to make women take notice.

BC.

A4

Quote:

Money and ultimate reliability are not her top priorities.

A guy @ worked just got a 2014 w/ 20K miles; A sha-weet vehicle.

Last edited:
My wife has an A4 but my wife blurted something to my mom about the A3 having better safety ratings.

Originally Posted By: bourne
Chrysler 200C AWD 3.6

Didn't know that was available in AWD. It's a sharp looking car.

I've been looking at Audi A4 and A6 along with a caddy cts. I'm liking the caddy, but the rest of my clan is [censored] bent on euro.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
She's picky about seat comfort. She test drove a new Legacy and didn't like the seats. She is wanting something with a rear backup camera and all the new safety gizmos. What can I suggest to her? I know I'll miss something without your guys help.

since she clearly has a thing for Swedish safety and comfort

Volvo S60 AWD

/thread!

Why not a Mercedes C300? You can get it as a 4matic and it has lots of gadgets you can get like a Heads up display (HUD). And of course depending on the budget, there's also the E and S class with even more gadgets.

Ford Taurus sho in particular. Has all the safety gizmos you can want. Blind spot. Adaptive radar back up camera and back up and side. Sensor self park. Rear sun shade. Its big and heavy. Stable in the snow. Quick. Heated seats and steering wheel. Cooled seats. you get the idea. they are still built on the Volvo platform. So its safe in a wreck too. Not cheap but not expensive.

I think I saw a Subaru Forester with the great big chrome AWD emblem on it at one of the parking lots. Looks sorta like a Nissan Murano.

You want something a little higher for the snow My 2011 Santa fe goes through anything.. My Jag is also AWD and its just ok Nothing i ever owned was like the Santa fe in the snow except maybe the 4.6 range rover but that was a big time super money pit. I know she wants a sedan but she should get something that has better ground clearance. Volvo makes a nice vehicle also like someone else here mentioned. I would stay away from the big number vehicles for Mom for two reasons first of all they all seem to have expensive issues and second do you want your mom driving something that someone might put a gun to her to get her car? I would not. This is a conversation i just had with my wife she wants to lease a very expensive BMW and although she always carries at least one firearm what happens if there are more than one. She thinks she is super woman but you never know who else is out there better and faster than you.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
You want something a little higher for the snow My 2011 Santa fe goes through anything.. My Jag is also AWD and its just ok Nothing i ever owned was like the Santa fe in the snow except maybe the 4.6 range rover but that was a big time super money pit. I know she wants a sedan but she should get something that has better ground clearance. Volvo makes a nice vehicle also like someone else here mentioned. I would stay away from the big number vehicles for Mom for two reasons first of all they all seem to have expensive issues and second do you want your mom driving something that someone might put a gun to her to get her car? I would not. This is a conversation i just had with my wife she wants to lease a very expensive BMW and although she always carries at least one firearm what happens if there are more than one. She thinks she is super woman but you never know who else is out there better and faster than you.

Written in true New Jersey form.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
My 74 year old mom wants to replace her aging Saab with something new. Money and ultimate reliability are not her top priorities.

WOW that is my mom too. She's 76 so a bit older. Her ride is a 2002 SAAB 9-3 SE with 175k. She drives maybe 3000 miles a year now, and the car is in perfect working order. Moms agreed to give me the SAAB if I can find her a newer & more reliable car with a hatchback and a stick shift. I would DD the SAAB until it dies... with 25mpg, heated leather seats, sunroof, no-joke turbo with wastegate mod, manual transmission (still on the original clutch!), hatchback, Swedish quirkiness, etc. What to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back