Single weight 30 vs. multigrade 5-30 for mower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Straight 30 has no VIIs so will stand up better in those hot running engines

That used to be the case but no longer.

A Multi-Grade seals the combustion chamber better than a Single-Grade.

For Vermont, I would use a synthetic 5W30 as well.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: NH73
Does it really matter what brand engine it is?

You are going to ask that question on THIS sight? Really?

Go ahead and run 0W16 oil in your 1970 Corvette. Or SAE60 oil in your 2015 Honda Civic. After all, does it matter what brand engine it has?

The last time I checked, i ask this question in the "Lawn Mower and Small Gas Engine" section. I trying to figure out how Corvettes and Honda Civics fit in this category.

What my question is, "Is there a big design difference in small gas engines from the different manufacturers?" Different manufacturers have different recommendation. For instance, Honda recommend 10w30 all around. Briggs and stratton, Kohler and Kawasaki uses a temperature graph recommendation, but each manufacturer are not consistent in how they recommend there oil. Only Briggs have a recommendation that you can use 5w30 at all temperture ranges. Kawasaki is the only one that has 40 or 10w40 weight oils in there recommendation. Some are even so outdated they go back to API SF. Briggs and Kawasaki both warn when using multi vicosity oils to watch for consumption. Is there that a big of a difference to be all over the board?

My mower bought new came with a bottle of 30w. I didn't use it. All I've used is Rotella 5w-40 and 15w-40. I change oil early spring each year, and have never had to add oil between changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back