GMC Canyon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a GMC Canyon with about 85,000 miles, and have been using Mobil-1 10-30 since new. Now that it is using a half quart every five hundred miles I'm thinking about using M1 high milleage 10-40. I was told this would help. ant thoughts on this, will be appreciated.

If this Canyon is losing a qt in a 1000 miles it more than likely have a serious leak. I had a Ford Probe that lost a quart in a thousand miles too. It had a significant leak. Though it ran really well but I just had to check the oil rather frequently. So, I would tend to believe it would be best to get the leak fixed because no HM oil can stop this or slow it down but so much. Place a piece of cardboard under it after running and this could at least give you an idea if it is leaking or how badly.
But otherwise you are doing the right thing running a High mileage oil with a thicker high temperature viscosity. I really hope it is not too bad of a problem for you. Been there done that myself
smile.gif

I think the poster said the truck was using (i.e burning) a 1/2 quart not leaking. If how I interpret the issue is burning oil, I will advise that he check the PCV system because oil usage can be caused bu this on the 5cyl engine.

Yeah you are probably right on here. Using to me could mean burning or leaking. But you are very likely right with your thought here. But darn a qt every thousand miles is a lot to be burning. But the PCV system makes a lot of sense here too.

I know the 5 cyl had head issues on certain years. My Son just bought one and the head had been replaced with an updated one under warranty.

Sorry not enough imfo. It is a 5 cly, and I meant to say 1000miles. When I open the oil cap I see a little smoke or fumes to me indicating blow by. There are no leaks and no oil or antifreeze mix. I'm told this is normal and not to worry, so I don't. I was just thinking M1 high mileage 10-40 would help.

A half a quart in 1000 miles? That's not so bad I guess. Have you thought of trying Mobil1 High Mileage 10w-30? I assume you are not using Mobil1 High Mileage right now?

10W30? What year. My 2006 Colorado calls for GM6094M 5W30. I have just over 81K on mine, doesn't use a drop of oil with the mix in my signature[both oils meet the low temp flow requirements of GM6094M].

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rokwldr
I have a GMC Canyon with about 85,000 miles, and have been using Mobil-1 10-30 since new. Now that it is using a half quart every five hundred miles I'm thinking about using M1 high milleage 10-40. I was told this would help. ant thoughts on this, will be appreciated.

How often have you changed the oil since new?

I have 85K on mine, been using quality synthetic oil all-along, but the engine never sees more than 6K between oil changes and only uses a half-quart in 6K.

Last edited:
I live in S Fla where we have 95-100 degree temps and I pull a 3000 lb boat a lot. Oh, did I mention that I run the [censored] out of it. &500 to 10000 OCI. The small amount of iol consuption is not a bother, I just thought 10-40 would help. I had a 1993 S-10 2.8 and used M1 15-50 for 200,000 mi. and never a problem. Looking back I would have used a 10-40.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rokwldr
I live in S Fla where we have 95-100 degree temps and I pull a 3000 lb boat a lot. Oh, did I mention that I run the [censored] out of it. &500 to 10000 OCI. The small amount of iol consuption is not a bother, I just thought 10-40 would help. I had a 1993 S-10 2.8 and used M1 15-50 for 200,000 mi. and never a problem. Looking back I would have used a 10-40.

So, you don't go by the OLM? I would try the Rotella T6 5W40 or Chevron Delo LE 5W40 synthetics and see how they work for you.

I don't the high mileage oil will help much. They are mostly designed to help with leaks and have additives to help out the seals. But a 1/2 Qt over 1000 miles in a truck that is worked hard doesn't sound like a problem to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back