Rod Knock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, our POS Honda has a rod knock after 100k. Besides the obvious of replacing a $1000 crank shaft in a tired engine. WHAT IS THE BEST HALF [censored] WAY TO QUITE IT DOWN? Honda specs 5w-20 for this poor engine,,

What engine, what Honda? You could always try a hdeo, i mean the damage is done...

My uncle once sold a grand Marquis full of Lucus. [censored] thing barely started at 15 degrees, but no knock

Last edited:
It's a 06 3.5 V6 and runs like a champ. I would like to repair but everyone says I would be wasting my time and money. They claim I could be extremely careful and use new crank and bearings ($1,000)and they will fail too? A short block is $3,000 from Honda. Seems like the smart way to go.

hansj3 said:
What engine, what Honda? You could always try a hdeo, i mean the damage is done...

My uncle once sold a grand Marquis full of Lucus. [censored] thing barely started at 15 degrees, but no knock [/quote

Originally Posted By: 392HEMI
It's a 06 3.5 V6 and runs like a champ. I would like to repair but everyone says I would be wasting my time and money. They claim I could be extremely careful and use new crank and bearings ($1,000)and they will fail too? A short block is $3,000 from Honda. Seems like the smart way to go.

hansj3 said:

My uncle once sold a grand Marquis full of Lucus. [censored] thing barely started at 15 degrees, but no knock [/quote

Why would you need a new crank? Unless a bearing has spun the wear is probably isolated to the rod bearings, the crank may not even need turning.

What's the maintenance history on it? Is it an Odyssey van?

Originally Posted By: horse123
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
STP several bottles... then SELL AS IS!!!

Yeah that's not cool.
Trade it in.

Hi, our POS Honda has a rod knock

Two questions:
1) What tells you that you have "rod knock"?
2) Does the noise go away after the engine warms up?

Hi, our POS Honda has a rod knock after 100k. Besides the obvious of replacing a $1000 crank shaft in a tired engine. WHAT IS THE BEST HALF [censored] WAY TO QUITE IT DOWN? Honda specs 5w-20 for this poor engine,,

Put some 0w40 M1 in there... and see what happens. My van likes it... same engine. Quiet and smooth...

You might consider correctly diagnosing the problem and getting an estimate for a fix and then decide what to do.

Either that or just dump it.

Finding a way to cover up the noise and selling the car to some unsuspecting person is definitely a reflection of one's self worth.

where do you live in Southern Indiana? Im also from the area.

As another member said if it truly is a rod knock it is possible a new bearing could be rolled into it.

Can you describe the noise? Does it go away when warm? Does it get louder upon accelerating? I ask because some can confuse rod knock with piston slap, it can be hard to tell sometimes. My Accord has piston slap and it could be confused by some to be a "knock", but piston slap is pretty harmless.

Edit: also, what is the service history? How long have you owned it. It just seems odd for any car without a defect to get rod knock with such low mileage.

Last edited:
I hear the good'ol boys down in Gainesville Flow-ee-da put a little sawdust in their oil to cure rod knock.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
You might consider correctly diagnosing the problem and getting an estimate for a fix and then decide what to do.

Either that or just dump it.

Finding a way to cover up the noise and selling the car to some unsuspecting person is definitely a reflection of one's self worth.

+1! I've never heard a rod knock and then started shoppping for crankshafts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back