Bilstein Touring Class Shocks..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings -

Looking for a set of replacement shocks for a co-worker's 2008 528i. The car has 195k and from driving the car after I replaced the thrust-arms, it was obvious that the shocks are way overdue.

I checked the various catalogs and here are the available options.

Bilstein Touring Class - $378
Bilstein HD - $688

Koni Yellow/Sport, adjustable - $588

His priorities are durability and ride quality. I understand that Bilstein has a stellar reputation for durability, but I wasn't sure if that was exclusive to their HD shocks.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Koni and Bilstein are both quality products. Does the car have sport suspension ? The Bilstein HD struts/shocks have the same valving as the Bilstein sports but are made for OEM springs. The Bilstein touring would match the non sport suspension. I recently bought a set of Bilstein sports using an advance auto coupon.

Originally Posted By: cdeason
Koni and Bilstein are both quality products. Does the car have sport suspension ? The Bilstein HD struts/shocks have the same valving as the Bilstein sports but are made for OEM springs. The Bilstein touring would match the non sport suspension. I recently bought a set of Bilstein sports using an advance auto coupon.

This car has the standard suspension.

Bilstein HD's are the best shocks ever. Easily my first choice on any car they're available for.

BEWARE: most Bilstein Touring Class shocks aren't real Bilsteins, unless Bilstein was the OE supplier for that particular car. Most TC's are rebranded Sachs and often made in Mexico. That said, there's nothing inherently wrong with Sachs (in fact, the OE shocks are probably Sachs)

Dang, almost 200k on a 2008? Wow!

I replaced shocks on my 2000 E430 about 7-8 years ago with Bilstein HD. The ride is firmer but the car is more controlled in tight turn than original shocks.

With Bilstein HD I can feel every bump on the road, but the car is definitely more stable at triple digit speed.

If your co-worker likes soft ride than Touring Class is the one he will like better than HD. If he is an aggressive driver than HD is the right choice.

All I know is the Sachs OE struts on my saab were shot at 10 years and 70k, while the Bilsteins (doubt they are HD, but they are the original factory fitment) on my 30 year old W123 mercedes still work well.

Just put Bilstein H-D's on a 2005 Saab 9-5 Aero.
Just below $700 and believe me, I shopped around.
A European parts distributor's super special would've been the only way to get the price lower.
Feels great even though there are no places where I can stretch the car's legs.

The OE shocks (100K on the dot) were GONE. Absolutely no dampening left in them.
They did appear to be Sachs. They resembled the ones I took out of my Volvo V70.
At 158K those babies were beyond gone! I bought Sachs SporTourings for that barge (which I love).

A bit more money for the Aero but I'm glad I spent it. I can see wanting a "good shock" for less but we want this Saab to go to 200 minimum. Bilsteins it was to be. Kira

Originally Posted By: Kira
Just put Bilstein H-D's on a 2005 Saab 9-5 Aero.
Just below $700 and believe me, I shopped around.
A European parts distributor's super special would've been the only way to get the price lower.
Feels great even though there are no places where I can stretch the car's legs.

The OE shocks (100K on the dot) were GONE. Absolutely no dampening left in them.
They did appear to be Sachs. They resembled the ones I took out of my Volvo V70.
At 158K those babies were beyond gone! I bought Sachs SporTourings for that barge (which I love).

A bit more money for the Aero but I'm glad I spent it. I can see wanting a "good shock" for less but we want this Saab to go to 200 minimum. Bilsteins it was to be. Kira

Thanks. How do you like the ride quality with the Bilstein HDs?

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: cdeason

This car has the standard suspension.

Then you want the touring to keep a nice soft ride, yet also keep the car under control (not so stiff that you feel every bump in the road).

Never really seen any shock as good as Bilstein at longevity, they really hold up well. My two ton sled has 100k miles and all they needed was a new bushing. The factory Bilstein struts are smooth and tight.

I like the extra firm ride. But they are expensive...

Update -

Ordered a set of Bilstein B4 Touring Class Struts/Shocks for $363.

Also got new Lemforder front mounts, OE bump stops for front/rear and new front strut boots for another $125.

Will update thread again after I install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back