Pure 1 opened up

Status
Not open for further replies.
This Pure 1 came off my 02 Impala, 4.3 v6, 4000 miles on the filter and oil, Havoline syn oil. It looked to be in very good shape to me. The ADBV is torn, but the media had no holes in it, looked to be OK.

Looks good. That valve was probably torn before it was installed. I wouldn't worry. These things happen. Thanks for the cut and post!

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Torn adbv = a failed filter.

Also curious if you made a typo since the 4.3 engine never found its way into the impala.

I was thinking the same should've been a 3.8 or 3.4
And a fail is a fail. Also that one pleet by the seam is pulling hard wouldn't take much more stress and considering this was ran half what oem oci should be of 7500.

I think the numbers were reversed, it should be a 3.4.

Coincidentally this afternoon I cut a Pure One PL10111 that came off our Lumina a while back. Yep, it was torn.
frown.gif

A torn adbv is not an advertising plus for Tearolator brand oil filters. What will tear next? Running out of tear materials, will it be the gasket?

Man... Well this is no bueno. I am not going to use the pureone I have for my lady's car.. I am going to exchange it or just buy another one. It would be just my luck it would malfunction and jack her car up.

I wonder what changed so much to cause all theses Purolators to fail? When I joined this forum it seemed like everyone was singing praise about Purolator.

Iv yet seen a single orange can failure on here but who knows I don't use them and not many people here probably do either.

The good thing about the failed adbv is these Gm v6 engines should still hold oil without it, but some applications will dry start hard without a perfectly functional adbv.

Originally Posted By: 3800Series
I wonder what changed so much to cause all theses Purolators to fail? When I joined this forum it seemed like everyone was singing praise about Purolator.

Iv yet seen a single orange can failure on here but who knows I don't use them and not many people here probably do either.

Some still do
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: jk_636
Looks good. That valve was probably torn before it was installed. I wouldn't worry. These things happen. Thanks for the cut and post!

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
I think the numbers were reversed, it should be a 3.4.

Coincidentally this afternoon I cut a Pure One PL10111 that came off our Lumina a while back. Yep, it was torn.
frown.gif

You lie! Even if the tear was near the dome, you cut it wrong!!!
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
frown.gif

Pics or it did not happen (well, at least that is what the P1 police will say).
crackmeup2.gif

Glad you did a change to be the failed filter off. However, Havoline syn can go longer.
wink.gif

In defense of the purophiles, this is not the metal seam that is more failure prone... So tearing the adbv is just ridiculous
... It should have been an easy win...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back