Tire Situation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: Astro14
How well do you like this girlfriend?

Well, but at the same time, my current car parts budget isn't what it used to be for the same reasons.

I'm leaning towards option #2 at the moment but the intentional tire mismatch on the same axle...makes me head hurt.

After further review and reflection.....

YOUR parts budget?

Wife = I pay for her car parts.

Girlfriend = SHE pays for her car parts.

I'd go so far as to suggest and help, but her car parts are from her wallet.

Last edited:
Since you plan to rotate, option 3 seems the most logical. Keep the good used one for a spare.

Originally Posted By: Kuato

YOUR parts budget?

Since you have a wife and a girlfriend, maybe they can split the cost?

Given this situation, I would find a used Primacy MXV4 with 8/32" of tread, and rotate all four tires side-to-side only (so the Premiers stay on the front and the Primacys stay on the rear) until the tread depth of all four is equal. Then I'd do my regular modified cross pattern and monitor that to ensure all four wear down at a consistent rate.

Originally Posted By: BRZED

thumbs.png

Originally Posted By: BRZED
Originally Posted By: Kuato

YOUR parts budget?

Good one!

Here's to wives and girlfriends. May they never meet.
banana2.gif

Originally Posted By: spk2000
If money is that tight why Michelin? You could get 2 GY Viva for less than 1 Michelin. I like Michelin but not if money is an issue. Other tires work fine on cars everyday.

This is a very good point. You can still get a high quality tire for the price of said used tire, less than 100bucks. I completely understand not wanting to have mismatching tires or brands but I would rather buy a brand new Continental for 100 bucks than a used michelin for $100.

Update-

I received the "new" Michelin Primacy MXV4 on Sat. Unfortunately the date code on the tire was "0609", so the tire was more than 6 years old.

So, it looks like I'll be sending back the tire (at my expense). I told my normal tire guy to proceed with ordering me a fresh Michelin Premier A/S tire for me. Thankfully this car is a FWD, but Michelin is claiming that the two tires can be mixed on the same axle...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back