Bilsteins? Yes! But Which Ones?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't remember which model I bought buy I found the fronts to be rather harsh. Went back to stock fronts and kept the Bilstein on the rear. 04 F-150

I used 4600's on my Tundra. Nice improvement.

The 5100s are good too. I think they have adjustable height, which wasn't something that I needed.

5100's are good if you are planning to lift or level your truck. I have 5100's struts at the 3rd notch on the front and 4600's stocks on the rear of my 01 Tundra and it provides a nice stiff ride with minimal nosedive in heavy braking or cornering (I tend to drive more aggressive with this truck vs my 02 Silverado.)

Feel is subjective though. If your truck feels like it's "floating" I'd get the 5100's at the front and 4600's at the rear to stiffen up the ride. If it's too harsh you can step down to the 4600's.

I have the 4600's in my CRV. They are stiff and give a firm ride. I've had them for about 50,000 miles and they ride the same today as the day I installed them.

Originally Posted By: wirelessF
5100's are good if you are planning to lift or level your truck. I have 5100's struts at the 3rd notch on the front and 4600's stocks on the rear of my 01 Tundra and it provides a nice stiff ride with minimal nosedive in heavy braking or cornering (I tend to drive more aggressive with this truck vs my 02 Silverado.) Feel is subjective though. If your truck feels like it's "floating" I'd get the 5100's at the front and 4600's at the rear to stiffen up the ride. If it's too harsh you can step down to the 4600's.
I would like to "level" the truck (the front needs to be raised slightly). Do the 5100s allow you to do that? Mine is nosediving these days, but after nearly 150K on the on the stock shocks, I am sure that it is partially or mostly due to that. I assume the 4600s are a good shock and the 5100s are not just an upgrade of those, but are something "different"?

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
I would like to "level" the truck (the front needs to be raised slightly). Do the 5100s allow you to do that? Mine is nosediving these days, but after nearly 150K on the on the stock shocks, I am sure that it is partially or mostly due to that. I assume the 4600s are a good shock and the 5100s are not just an upgrade of those, but are something "different"?

If your truck uses a coilover or strut suspension setup Bilstein makes 5100 adjustable shocks where there are notches on the shock body to position a snap ring that adjusts the bottom spring perch on the coil over.

There's a link on Bilsteins website about it:

http://www.bilsteinus.com/products/truck-off-road/5100-series-ride-height-adjustable/

http://www.bilsteinus.com/fileadmin/user_upload/user_upload_us/pdfs/Bil_LevShks_WebArticle.pdf

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
I just had 5100's installed on the front of my Silverado last weekend. Its not lifted at all and the 5100's work very well.
How is the ride? Stiff or?

I put 5100s on the front and rear of my Tacoma. The fronts are adjustable height but the rears aren't. I wanted to level mine out so went up a notch for 0.85" lift in front.
I think it is less wallowy in turns and possibly a touch harsher in sharp bumps. I also slightly overinflate my tires so that just exaggerates that.
I would do it again.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Why not Rancho shocks?
Rancho has terrible reviews on many of the sites I have visited. Bilstein seems to be the cream of the crop.

Thanks for all of the information guys. I scored the 5100s and they should be here in a few days.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Originally Posted By: CT8
Why not Rancho shocks?
Rancho has terrible reviews on many of the sites I have visited. Bilstein seems to be the cream of the crop.
I put a set of Bilsteins on my wifes Superduty and with in a month one on the rear leaked. I called up Summit and the next day they had a replacement sent to the house. I put Ranchos on my Toyota p/u and it leaked with in a year so I called Summit and they sent a shock out to my house the next day.

valving between the 4600 and 5100 is the same, so I was told by bilstein. I too find the front a bit harsh and the rear a bit soft, but that's hard to gauge in a truck--- a good shock with a load is a crummy shock empty, and vice versa. The original TRD bilsteins that came off were "deflated" at 120,000, but still had fluid in them and the front ones still dampened travel. the 5100s were actually more compliant in the front than TRD, so the brand can hang in there for a while. The rears OTOH - they were d.o.n.e.. Towing/heavy loads clearly wore them through and through.

Rancho is a Monroe shock with middle-grade tech from them. They make better shocks without the Rancho label.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back