Cartridge Oil Filters ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased a Chevy Equinox that uses the replaceable cartridge oil filter.

Are they all made pretty much the same or are some of made with more filter media?

Any recommendations?

Last edited:
One very nice thing about cartridge filters- you see what you get BEFORE it goes in the engine!

For my application (2011 Chrysler 3.6) there is a lot less variation among the available cartridges than I've seen among spin-on filters. None of them look like that have too little media (like Fram standard filters) or have severely uneven pleating (like recent Purolator spin-ons). Wix, Fram, Mopar, and Purolator all look very, very comparable. The one slight stand-out is that there is a Pure One model available which has very slightly more material, a semi-synthetic material, and a better efficiency rating than the others. No full wire-back synthetics are available at all for my application. Doesn't surprise me so much that there's no Amsoil EA or Royal Purple, but it does disappoint me that Purolator, Wix, and (especially) Fram Ultra synthetic filters aren't available.

I've had luck using the el cheapo $3.27 Purolator from Walmart on my son's 03 Cavalier. Went 11,000 miles on one and while the material got wavy (just like a Baldwin I also used), there were no visible tears and it seemed to hold up fine. M1 5W-30 was used for the extended OCI.

Hello, The OE, Mann and Hengst cartridges for my Volvo are of a hard material.
Purolaters and others are more like the familiar "pleated yellow paper".
DriveWorks uses white fuzzy material.

I assume the hard ones are best. I wish I knew. Kira

Cellulose media ones are all pretty much made the same. I've used Fram, Purolator, K&N, Wix, and AC Delco cartridge filters on a couple vehicles I've owned. They all looked good going in and all looked fine coming out.

If you were going to go with long (>10k OCI's) you might consider a synthetic media filter like the Fram Ultra or Purolator Synthetic, they both make cartridge filters for the Equinox.

Mann, Hengst, Mahle and other German made cartridge oil filters are better quality than Purolator, Fram ... Especially for European vehicles.

For My E430 and Volvo V70 I only use made in Germany cartridge oil filter. One time I reused Hengst paper cartridge oil filter in my E430 for 2 OCI's of 10-11k miles for a total of about 20k miles. The filter looked pristine after 20k miles, more like only 1-2k miles.

The advantage of cartridge oil filter is you can inspect the filter before, during and after use. The oil filter of E430 is on top of the engine, I can remove to inspect the filter if I want to without a drop of oil spill on engine. When I reused the filter in E430 I removed the filter holder few times on second OCI to inspect and the filter was in a so good condition I left it in for the full second OCI.

I've used the Delcos, PureOne, Bosch in our 2.4L 2010 Equinox. All have performed well. I would get whatever you can get cheapest from Amazon or Rock Auto. The Delcos don't come with a new seal so I try to alternate between them and something else every other oil change.

Make sure you change the oil often. As long as it meets spec, frequency is more important than the particular oil. These engines dilute a lot of fuel, you'll smell it easily when you drain the oil. I follow the old recommendation of 3,000 miles which usually is about 50% left on the OLM. I had been doing 6,000 (which was still usually 30% left on the OLM, then they switched the programming on the OLM, but it was still about 10% left after the reprogram) and had a major engine repair (covered under warranty, barely) with the timing chain and tensioner, some valves, etc. No issues since going to shorter OCIs. Then again it has only been 25,000 since I began the shorter OCI.

These engines are incredibly easy to change the oil on. Make sure you get the Leslie oil cap low profile socket. PM me and I can send you the part number if you need it, sells for about $9 on Amazon.

I usually get an ACDelco one from the dealer for $5-7 and the pleats tend to stay straight for what it's worth. There are apparently a few different ACDelco PF457G (made in different places), but the ones I get are made in the USA and have the Hengst logo on the filter itself. I feel comfortable sticking with the ACDelco/Hengst. I usually buy an o-ring for the filter cap every other oil change for a couple bucks.

I've found the Wix/Napa Gold cartridges for Hyun/Kia applications to be very high quality. In that case, equivalent to the Mahle made oem for about half the cost on sale.

Observing this board for some time I've noted the Hengst made cartridges for ACDelco/GM seem to be well made and have generally good results including the ecotec application.

I read some about a preference for wire backed media cartridges but based on this result I'm not sure they are ready for prime time, at least in the FU.

My recommendation is the Mann HU 6007x (NOT the ML1015)

Watch out! Mann's filter lineup consists of real Mann filters and reboxed Purolators. The European-made filters (usually made in Germany and Spain) are offered primarily for European cars. For American and Asian cars, they usually rebox Purolators (and are usually US-made, and with the same Purolator date code format. Mann owns Purolator.

How do you tell the difference? By part number. Cartridge filters with part numbers starting with HU are the real deal. Their European spin-on filters' p[art numbers start with W and the cans are usually black. The reboxed Purolators are indicated with part numbers starting with ML (and the ML spin-ons feature white cans).

The HU 6007x is a real Mann and made in Spain.

The ML1015 is a reboxed Purolator Classic L15436.

The reason both are offered for the Ecotec is because of the heavy European presence of this engine, coupled with the fact that the engine was used on Saabs (that were sold over here) and some other European domestic cars (not sold here).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back