Looking for suggestions on defense ammunition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Trajan
.40 Winchester Ranger (Law Enforcement Ammunition) 135gr JHP

Where did the OP ask for advice on .40SW ammo? Also, 135 grain .40SW does not offer 12 inches of penetration reliably. Switch to 165 or 180 in .40SW.

For now, for my handguns I'm going to go with the Federal Premium HST options listed above for the 9mm and .45 ACP. I am extremely impressed with what I've seen on YouTube for this. I'm always subject to change, but I think this is probably one of the best options. (tnoutdoors9)

For my .223 rifle, I haven't come to a decision on what to go with, but think I'll be going with either something under the Hornady or Speer umbrella.

Originally Posted By: qdeezie
For my .223 rifle, I haven't come to a decision on what to go with, but think I'll be going with either something under the Hornady or Speer umbrella.

Good choice on the Federal HST for pistol rounds.

For .223/5.56 (assuming your rifle can shoot 5.56 rounds), the cream of the crop is the 5.56 77 grain load from Black Hills. Not many manufacturers load this round to 5.56 specs. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1339912...ng-hollow-point

If you prefer a bonded round, most of them are pretty expensive and hard to find. The one that is readily available for a decent price is the 62 grain Federal Fusion.

What rifle and barrel twist so we can tailor our .223 recommendations?

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: qdeezie

Good choice on the Federal HST for pistol rounds.

For .223/5.56 (assuming your rifle can shoot 5.56 rounds), the cream of the crop is the 5.56 77 grain load from Black Hills. Not many manufacturers load this round to 5.56 specs. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1339912...ng-hollow-point

If you prefer a bonded round, most of them are pretty expensive and hard to find. The one that is readily available for a decent price is the 62 grain Federal Fusion.

What rifle and barrel twist so we can tailor our .223 recommendations?

Actually, the rifle is chambered to 5.56, but I figured .223 would be easier to find, but I have no problems with buying either caliber. As for barrel twist, I have no idea what that is. The exact rifle type is a Mossberg MMR 65015 if you care to take a look at the specs.

Your Mossberg rifle has a 1 in 9 twist meaning it likely wont stabalize anything over 70 grains. You can shoot anything between 40 and 69 grains with a 1 in 9 twist barrel.

Pick a 69 grain hollowpoint, 64 grain softpoint, or bonded 62-64 grain bullet for best terminal performance from your rifle.

Forget the 223 for home defense. At the range, I use ear plugs AND muffs, and I can't stand to be next to someone shooting an AR. I can only imagine how deaf one would be if you touched one off in a bedroom. I'd sell the AR, get a pistol-caliber carbine, and stock up on ammo with the balance. Pistol caliber will make a bigger hole than a 223, and are quieter.
If you want to hand-load, use the leftover money for the equipment.
IMO, concerns over hand-loaded ammunition are way overblown. No prosecutor in any local murder cases I've followed in the paper EVER made an issue of ammo type. The job of the bullet is to cause as much damage as possible. That is all it's supposed to do. Buy a quality bullet, follow reputable loading information; and practice, practice, practice.
***One Last Thought***
Find a criminal defense attorney near you and schedule a half-hour appointment. Tell the lawyer that you want to fully understand the circumstances under which you can use lethal force in your home, what to say to the police, what will happen if you ever have to shoot an intruder. A criminal lawyer knows police procedures and is the best source that you can rely on for advice. Once you pay for the advice, follow it.

Originally Posted By: 2cool
***One Last Thought***
Find a criminal defense attorney near you and schedule a half-hour appointment. Tell the lawyer that you want to fully understand the circumstances under which you can use lethal force in your home, what to say to the police, what will happen if you ever have to shoot an intruder. A criminal lawyer knows police procedures and is the best source that you can rely on for advice. Once you pay for the advice, follow it.
Criminal court is one thing--civil quite another. In this litigation mad society that we live in today, a person who is defending themselves legally (handloads or not) may not be found guilty in criminal court only to have their lives ruined from a civil lawsuit where they are found guilty of "purposely creating ammunition to inflict the maximum damage or some other such nonsense". I reload and shoot a lot of ammunition (probably more than most), but I still use factory loaded ammunition in all of my carry weapons. YMMV.

Never heard of the type of ammo as part of the cause of action in a suit. Not locally or nationally. The whole point of shooting someone is to cause as much damage as possible to them. Why you shoot someone is FAR more important that what they were shot with; absent some hand-made abomination like a pipe shotgun. IF the subject came up I would assert that I have followed publicly available loading data, and the rest of my ammo would prove so.
Peace be unto you FX4! May we both bequeath our guns to our children and never have harmed anyone.

Never heard of the type of ammo as part of the cause of action in a suit. Not locally or nationally. The whole point of shooting someone is to cause as much damage as possible to them. Why you shoot someone is FAR more important that what they were shot with; absent some hand-made abomination like a pipe shotgun. IF the subject came up I would assert that I have followed publicly available loading data, and the rest of my ammo would prove so.
Peace be unto you FX4! May we both bequeath our guns to our children and never have harmed anyone.

The fear is real...some prosecutor with an agenda and looking to advance their political career may use it. The same busted logic has been used to argue that modifying guns in certain ways shows "neglect", such as disabling the magazine safety on a Browning Hi Power to help improve the trigger pull.

Ammo is a less likely subject. If I was ever on the stand and had to argue why I use JHP Gold Dots, I would simply say that they are one of the top choices for law enforcement. And if law enforcement uses them to help make sure their officers come home alive at night, I want the same peace of mind. If you are reloading to published specs, you have a good argument also. Not like you can be portrayed as some mad scientist trying to concoct the deadliest round in your basement. However, using home loaded rounds can make it tougher for the forensic crews to verify your story. Not like they can just pop over and pick up a box of your rounds at the local gun shop. Hopefully you have enough rounds left in your gun to be of use in the case you find yourself fighting for your freedom.

You just never know what kind of stupid argument a prosecutor would try to peddle to jurors that may know nothing about guns and be easily swayed my emotional arguments.

Last edited:
Forget the 223 for home defense. At the range, I use ear plugs AND muffs, and I can't stand to be next to someone shooting an AR. I can only imagine how deaf one would be if you touched one off in a bedroom. I'd sell the AR, get a pistol-caliber carbine, and stock up on ammo with the balance.

Soldiers/cops/citizens in a life and death encounters often experience auditory exclusion. Basically, they don't hear the gun shots and are not affected by them. Lighting off a rifle inside will be loud for sure, but the semi-automatic, magazine fed rifle is the most capable self defense platform there is. I'd rather slightly damage my hearing and be alive than be dead with perfect hearing. If a person wanted the best chance of survival, they would choose a semi-automatic, magazine fed rifle.

I know the rifle is loud and keep electronic hearing protection next to the gun. If I have time to put the hearing protection on, great, if not, no big deal.

Pistol caliber will make a bigger hole than a 223, and are quieter.

Might have a larger entry hole but the wounding potential of rifle vs pistol rounds isn't debatable. Pistol rounds are not effective man stoppers. Plus many criminals these days are wearing body armor and pistol rounds are also ineffective against body armor while rifle rounds will zip right on through your average body armor.

No prosecutor in any local murder cases I've followed in the paper EVER made an issue of ammo type.

Arizona v. Harold Fish. Mr. Fish was sent to prison because the prosecutor made a big deal that he was using 10MM ammo, which is "so powerful and deadly that practically no cops carry it and it is only used for bears." Jury bought it hook line and sinker and found him guilty even though many jurors thought he was justified in using a gun for self defense. They didn't know anything about ballistics or ammo and just believed what the prosecutor told them, that the ammo was over kill and that he must have wanted to kill someone since he was using it.

The job of the bullet is to cause as much damage as possible. That is all it's supposed to do.

No the job of a bullet is to do what it was designed to do. Some bullets are designed to punch holes in paper. Some are designed to expand once they hit tissue. Some are designed to violently fragment after yawing and hitting tissue. Some are designed hold together and penetrate deeply after hitting a barrier.

The whole point of shooting someone is to cause as much damage as possible to them.

Get that frame of thought completely out of your head, unless you like the idea of a 7x10 prison cell for the rest of your life. The point of shooting someone is TO STOP THEM from the felonious activity they were doing. Nothing more, and nothing less. If you shoot in a perp's direction and miss, and they stop their felonious activity, than you have stopped them without even "damaging them as much as possible." If you shoot a person one time in the pinky and they immediately stop what they were doing, than that was a successful deployment of force.

The act of shooting a person may stop them, either via physiological or psychological response. Psychological is where they realize that they have been shot and than immediately stop their attack (by choice, even though they were physically able to continue to attack if they wanted to). Physiological is where they can no longer continue the attack due to blood loss or physical damage to the nervous system.

It's always and has always been "shoot to stop", never shoot to kill. If you are shooting to maim or kill, that that makes you a criminal.

I'm glad bubbatime weighed in on this thread. 2cool's assertions are common, but completely wrong.

You have a right to shoot, that is, to use lethal force, only when necessary and proportional. You may use lethal force to STOP a lethal, or near lethal, threat. You shoot to stop that threat; not to kill, not to injure, but to stop a threat.

This is why warning shots will get you charged with a crime in many cases: you've used lethal force, but by your very action, you've shown that the threat was not yet present. If it were a lethal threat, you should have shot to stop it...

As far as pistol vs. rifle, well, as Jeff Cooper once said, "a pistol is good for fighting your way to your rifle"...

The 10mm, a fine, powerful handgun cartridge, and of which I am a big fan, generally has about 1/2 the muzzle energy of a 5.56mm rifle round, which has about 1/2 the energy of the 7.62x51 rifle round...

If I knew that I would need to shoot someone, I would have my 7.62 DPMS AP4 with a 20 round magazine (I do keep one 20 round mag fully loaded with Hornady self defense ammo). Each round is far more effective than several pistol rounds...and if I'm shooting, it's because my life is threatened, so more effective is better...

But it's cumbersome, so, we're back to Jeff Cooper, "The first rule of a gunfight is to have a gun" and I keep a .40S&W loaded and avaialble while my wife keeps a 9mm...

Arizona v. Harold Fish. Mr. Fish was sent to prison because the prosecutor made a big deal that he was using 10MM ammo, which is "so powerful and deadly that practically no cops carry it and it is only used for bears." Jury bought it hook line and sinker and found him guilty even though many jurors thought he was justified in using a gun for self defense. They didn't know anything about ballistics or ammo and just believed what the prosecutor told them, that the ammo was over kill and that he must have wanted to kill someone since he was using it.

Do you have a link to any of this? I ask not because I don't believe you, but because it is a bit much to swallow. A shoot is either justified, or else it is not..... Period. The use of deadly force is just that, DEADLY. This regardless of the caliber or type of ammunition used. What if it was the only gun he had? Would he not be able to legally use it to defend his life, because it was "too powerful"? That's totally ludicrous. Again, I'm not saying this didn't happen, but if it did it was surrounded by some of the dumbest people on this planet. Both on the bench, in the jury box, as well as walking around the courtroom, talking out of their a$$ with legal degrees.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Do you have a link to any of this?

http://backwoodshome.com/blogs/MassadAyoob/2009/07/21/fish-ordeal-%E2%80%93-over/

The whole point of shooting someone is to cause as much damage as possible to them.

Get that frame of thought completely out of your head, unless you like the idea of a 7x10 prison cell for the rest of your life. The point of shooting someone is TO STOP THEM from the felonious activity they were doing. Nothing more, and nothing less. If you shoot in a perp's direction and miss, and they stop their felonious activity, than you have stopped them without even "damaging them as much as possible." If you shoot a person one time in the pinky and they immediately stop what they were doing, than that was a successful deployment of force.

The act of shooting a person may stop them, either via physiological or psychological response. Psychological is where they realize that they have been shot and than immediately stop their attack (by choice, even though they were physically able to continue to attack if they wanted to). Physiological is where they can no longer continue the attack due to blood loss or physical damage to the nervous system.

It's always and has always been "shoot to stop", never shoot to kill. If you are shooting to maim or kill, that that makes you a criminal.

Point taken, but still; I'm not wrong. It's just that I got to the end shorter than you did. If you feel you must use lethal force, you do indeed want to cause the BG to stop as quickly as possible. That requires, as you do note, either psychological or physical incapacitation. Since no one can accurately gauge what may psychologically cause someone to stop; the only reliable method of incapacitating a BG is to "cause as much damage as possible" to get him to stop. Nowhere did I say "shoot to kill", you have wrongly attributed that to me.
On the point of the 223/5.56; IMO its' not as good a choice vs. pistol caliber carbines. 9mm, 40 S&W, and especially revolver cartridges get an enormous boost in ME from a longer barrel; a 45 ACP not so much; per Ballistics by the Inch (BBTI). There are several bullets designed for pistols that are effective as anti-personnel projectiles. 223/5.56 was designed for varmints originally. Not nearly as many or as well developed anti-personnel rounds available, and not cheap either.
In point of fact, according to Hodgdon, a 357 magnum 110gr. XTP bullet can be loaded to ME of 1404 ft/lb vs. the Hornady 5.56mm 55gr. GMX bullet ME 1196ft/lb or the 77 grain HPBT at 1410 ft/lb.; and the .357 bullet makes a bigger entrance hole. Hopefully, there shouldn't be an exit hole, because that means (as you know) the energy wasn't transferred to the BG.
The OP asked about defensive ammo. That means that the bullet is designed to "cause as much damage as possible", which is why police use them, isn't it?. If the OP's question were about target shooting, of course my observation would be incorrect.
I have, and will continue, to enjoy reading your posts, Bubbatime. I do feel that you have been condescending in tone and have taken my remarks out of context in your replies to my post in this thread. Thank you for your obvious concern that readers of this thread get accurate information; but you can do better than this.

I'm with bubbatime on this...

Look, the intent is different.

If you're looking to stop a threat, then, clearly, a more effective round will will be the one that causes more damage.

But your intent is to stop, not cause damage. It's a subtle, but important difference.

Tell law enforcement, or jury, or lawyer, that you were shooting to stop a threat, and you've got a reasonable self-defense case.

Tell them that you were shooting to inflict maximum damage, and you're a criminal...

Last edited:
As much as I love the 10mm, and as often as I carry a .40, I would still rather have any of my rifles over my Glock 20 if I knew I was going to have to shoot...

"Meanwhile, honest Arizona legislators, spurred by calls and letters and emails from outraged citizens, recently passed legislation to make the state’s new self-defense law retroactive to the time of this shooting. This would, in essence, have forced the prosecution to prove that Fish didn’t fire in self-defense."

It should be noted this article was from 2009, over 6 years ago. In Arizona at least, that could no longer happen. The burden of proof would be on the prosecutor to prove that the individual did not fire in self defense. The caliber, along with the power of the gun he or she used would not be a factor. As it never should have been.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
I'm with bubbatime on this...

Look, the intent is different.

If you're looking to stop a threat, then, clearly, a more effective round will will be the one that causes more damage.

But your intent is to stop, not cause damage. It's a subtle, but important difference.

Tell law enforcement, or jury, or lawyer, that you were shooting to stop a threat, and you've got a reasonable self-defense case.

Tell them that you were shooting to inflict maximum damage, and you're a criminal...
You shouldn't be telling law enforcement anything after a shooting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back