M1 0w40, 7500 miles, Saab 9-3 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

J_R

This engine had a balance chain guide and tensioner replaced during the OCI. Do you guys suppose the nickel is from the new tensioner? Timing cover gasket and crank seal were also replaced. The engine is spotless inside, fwiw. The guide snapping in two is common with these cars, so I did this as preventative maintenance.
crazy2.gif
I had access to a lift and shop tools, so it was only a two or three hour easy job.

Last edited:
I suppose Nickel could be from the work you performed, but if that's the case it hopefully would go quiet after the next OCI. Great results I'd say!
thumbsup2.gif

Also, considering the UAs show Nickel at 0 it's very likely going to go away. Anecdotal.

How long was this interval time wise? Seems like it can go a long time.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
I suppose Nickel could be from the work you performed, but if that's the case it hopefully would go quiet after the next OCI. Great results I'd say!
thumbsup2.gif

Also, considering the UAs show Nickel at 0 it's very likely going to go away. Anecdotal.

How long was this interval time wise? Seems like it can go a long time.

Thanks. The oil was run for about eight months, probably 50/50 city/hwy.

The 0W40 went from high MolyDTC, high Mg (700ppms) to only 25, changed formula to add some 260 (nothing before) of Boron and added more 1k of Ca+ over the former 2,5k ... Yes they have several different add pack M1 formulas.
I bet boron is better than mg

Last edited:
And I bet they think that Mg isn't necessary when there is 3,400+ ppm of Calcium, like Amzoils. Or that they could fight each other?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back