Oil at Walmart

Status
Not open for further replies.
36.gif
smoking funny tobacco is not allowed in here.....

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Valvoline white bottle 5 quart jugs are now coming with a white plastic seal just like the foil seals that Mobil 1 and Castrol Edge have. ...

I just noticed this myself buying a jug of DEXOS1 labeled 5w30 VSP at WM. I checked the cap as I've even seen used oil in QSUD CLEAR bottles with loose caps on the display! That takes some gumption!

Ashland caved in on the Dexos licensing
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Quote:
It certainly speaks volumes about the typical WalMart shopper.
Or perhaps the atypical as there are far less who do this than the average shopper, I suspect.

I suspect you are correct.

Low lifes can be found in many different places.

Lesson, as with inspecting filters, oil and air, prior to purchase, good idea to check for oil cap and/or foil seal prior to purchase.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
It certainly speaks volumes about the typical WalMart shopper.

I shop at WM and feel I am typical. Your statement reflects on several things I can think of.
spankme2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
I had a hoot for this. The return policy for motor oil in my area is 'tough'.

IMG_20150102_124759_0401_zps3cvkeirj.jpg

Well dang. With prices going up you can return 10 year old stock and make a profit.

Haha that's awesome!! I love how it says "new" on the label :^)

Originally Posted By: Justin251

Well dang. With prices going up you can return 10 year old stock and make a profit.

I looked, and the API was rated SJ. So late '90s cost returned for 2015 price. Sure, it is nearly 20 years but the return rate is decent.

I need to convince the wife that the oil stash is not a waste but rather my retirement fund. However, knowing my luck, I would be holding out just as the price for oil crashes.

Same thing happened to me about a year ago. I bought Castrol and their caps are not locked on, in other words, you don't have to break a seal on the bottle to open it. I emailed Walmart's head office and they gave me a gift coupon for $25 and were very nice.

There's no reason not to buy your oil at Walmart,just pay attention to what you're buying and you won't get a tampered with product. I check everything I buy,even the expiration dates on all my grocery items.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
It's unfortunately pretty common at every Walmart I've checked. Same thing with oil filters, people putting Fram Ultras in extra guard boxes then you go to buy the Ultra and it's an extra guard. Saw the same thing at kmart all Purolator synthetics were switched with classics.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3711009/Another_fun_Purolator_thread_w

rmmhol.jpg

Complete carelessness IMO. Maybe it's a back east thing but I've never seen anything close to that at any regional Walmarts where I live. Even at the so called "ghetto" Walmarts.

Anyway, every Fram Ultra I've purchased so far as a clear factory seal on the box top. Pretty easy to check for tampering. Beyond that, no matter what it is or where I shop, if it's not factory sealed, I open it up and check. With motor oil caps, it's quick and easy to check for tampering also.

I haven't had any issues yet, but I always wonder if loss prevention is watching me open packaging and conclude they've found one of the dishonest ones.

Walmart needs new leadership. I can't believe that Walmart management isn't aware of how consumers in general regard the giant retailer. The merchandise is in disarray in almost every department and the employees look like people I see at the local rescue mission and they all act like zombies. I wish I didn't have to trade there, but in this small city ,there really isn't another store with the extensive inventory found at Walmart. For c*#% sake Walmart big-wigs, get off your duff and make some changes.Spend some time in the stores talking to customers. I watched two guys from the automotive department carrying on like they were at a honky tonk. Isn't the store manager aware of the grab a** that goes on where the public can see that nonsense? Absolutely disgusting. Our local grocer wouldn't put up with those scruffy derelicts for ten seconds.

What are you talking about? I've seen a few oIL filters and oil misplaced but every Walmart around here is pretty well run and clean. Mostly helpful associates but they can only do what the manager will allow them to do to help you.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Walmart needs new leadership. I can't believe that Walmart management isn't aware of how consumers in general regard the giant retailer. The merchandise is in disarray in almost every department and the employees look like people I see at the local rescue mission and they all act like zombies. I wish I didn't have to trade there, but in this small city ,there really isn't another store with the extensive inventory found at Walmart. For c*#% sake Walmart big-wigs, get off your duff and make some changes.Spend some time in the stores talking to customers. I watched two guys from the automotive department carrying on like they were at a honky tonk. Isn't the store manager aware of the grab a** that goes on where the public can see that nonsense? Absolutely disgusting. Our local grocer wouldn't put up with those scruffy derelicts for ten seconds.

That would fall on the management for that particular store. The WalMart in my town is always well kept and most of the workers act professionally. It could be the local competition that keeps them on top of their game here. There really isn't anything at WalMart that can't be bought at another store in town.

You get what you pay for. There's no way they could offer quality staff at the price they sell merchandise for.

Originally Posted By: cb_13

That would fall on the management for that particular store. The WalMart in my town is always well kept and most of the workers act professionally. It could be the local competition that keeps them on top of their game here. There really isn't anything at WalMart that can't be bought at another store in town.

Agreed, it can be very local-dependent. There is one Walmart in particular (Central SC) that is/was absolutely fantastic when I lived nearby. A place for everything and everything in its place. Staff was wonderful. Now, the Walmart in my part of Western NC is a model of how NOT to run a store. Zombie-staff, stocking is "ok" but the killer is the lack of check-out availability. First few trips had 20 minute plus wait times. A few more 30+ minute wait times when I walked out leaving full carts in the isle. I am more than willing to pay 10% for 20 minutes at a different store. Then again, why would Walmart try in my market. It has a strong local/political slant (all chains are despised as it is a very progressive-hipster town). Even if this Walmart was "perfect" I bet 50% of the folks here would still boycot it.

Still, the corporate offices are only concerned margins. If it is a "image" problem, they hand it off to the marketing folks. I call it the "KFC Problem". When you "value engineer" to the point of a lower-end, highly processed "fake" product and the add low-wage, low production and poor-management stores... no amount of marketing can solve an operations issue. No amount of "steaming & juicy" chicken in TV ads will change my last experience of cold and greasy bucket of crud... I will go to a Bojangles or Chickfila if I want fresh fried chicken.

Originally Posted By: Justin251
What are you talking about? I've seen a few oIL filters and oil misplaced but every Walmart around here is pretty well run and clean. Mostly helpful associates but they can only do what the manager will allow them to do to help you.

+1, The same as the Walmart near me. Over all clean, well stocked and mostly helpful employees. My biggest peeve is they stopped carrying Fram Ultra's
mad.gif
. I do check all the oil jugs/bottles and filter boxes to make sure they are not a used return or switched item.

Whimsey

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back