Have any of you gone to see Fury Road?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't hate it, but I rank it third -behind Mad Max 2(Greatest Sequel EVER), and Mad Max- but ahead of Beyond Thunderdome.

The CGI was fairly restrained and served rather to enhance the bazillion of proper stunts and explosions than to substitute for the real thing. Max's Falcon is back, but only briefly at the beginning of the movie when Max does some desert gazing while having a two-headed lizard snack. He somehow ends up in a chase and the Falcon gets trashed. Mad Max without his Interceptor is akin to Han Solo without the Millennium Falcon. Elvis Presley's granddaughter plays by the way Capable, one of the lactating babes.

Originally Posted By: andrewp1998
Great effects but to boring for me, I was done with action flicks yrs ago.. I liked the original series much more.

I only watched it for the effects and the sets, so I knew it was going to bore me anyway, because the gloss is never just enough. The original Max Max movie had a rough charm and was a very raw movie, which can be a very good thing.Still, because it's so slow it did bore me to death. The Road Warrior was more to my liking and I think that's commonly the favorite in the trilogy. As for Beyond the Thunderdome, we better forget about that one, even so it had more of a story than Fury Road, if I remember halfway correctly.

Originally Posted By: whip
I took my son to see Avengers and saw the Fury Road trailer. I wanted it to be good, but I have very little faith in Hollywood. Special effects are more important than the story anymore.

Fury Road is not a Hollywood movie. It was produced by Kennedy Miller Productions and Village Roadshow Pictures, which are Australian production companies. Warner Brothers is only the distributor and had nothing to do with either financing or producing this Australian product.

I've all but lost interest in abject popcorn movies of any kind, so I would never have gone to see Fury Road if it weren't for friends/family. I was pleasantly surprised.

I think it's important to keep in mind that this kind of flick is to cinema what dessert is to food. Even at its best, it's not exactly sustenance. I don't particularly like dessert, either. But as desserts go, Fury Road was almost as good as it gets, IMO (if you're into this particular kind).

The GF is a huge Tom Hardy fan so this will be the only way I could get her to go. I have seen the second original, but that's it.

I'm looking forward to being greatly disappointed.

I'm surprised that no one has yet mentioned that it was directed by George Miller, the director of the original three. (I still found Thunderdome to be an abortion.) Miller did minimize the use of CGI, in fact. I'm sure Theron's missing arm was a CGI trick, though. Were portions of it stupid and nonsensical - yes! So were the originals, honestly. Interestingly, the actor playing Immortan Joe was the same Indian/Australian actor who played Toecutter in the original 1979 film.

I went to see it expecting mindless entertainment, Mad Max vehicles made on a BIG budget, and nonstop action. With that in mind I was not disappointed. The drum/flaming guitar vehicle made me laugh every time I saw it, as I'm sure was the intent. I thought of it as a modernized apocalyptic fife and drum. Great tension building in the chase/fight scenes. It delivered for me.

Here's some trivia for you. I noticed at least a couple of nods to The Road Warrior. One of the "wives" had a hand operated music box movement in her hands, just like the one Max gave to the Feral Kid. Also, his sawed off shotgun misfired in exactly the same manner as it did in the Road Warrior.

Anyone notice any others?

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Anyone notice any others?

I got one. What's mounted on a pointy stick behind and above Max? Full-size image and crop:

m8lgco.jpg

30wa1ag.jpg

Ah! The Gyro Captain's helmet! Excellent find!

I hope it's just his helmet!

Originally Posted By: BRZED
Ah! The Gyro Captain's helmet! Excellent find!

I hope it's just his helmet!

LOL. I noticed after my post that there appeared to be a skull in that helmet. Sorry, Bruce Spence, you ugly Mick Jagger lookin' dude.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
The GF is a huge Tom Hardy fan so this will be the only way I could get her to go.

How about the fact that it's one of the VERY few action movies where women are actual characters instead of window dressing or accessories for the male characters?

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
How about the fact that it's one of the VERY few action movies where women are actual characters instead of window dressing or accessories for the male characters?

This is a good comment. George Miller, the director of the first three Mad Max movies, directed this one. With the exception of the original Mad Max, there have been strong female chracters in these flicks. There was a very tough, but attractive, female warrior in the Road Warrior. And, of course, Tina Turner's "Aunty Entity" in Beyond Thunderdome ran the whole town.

Overall, I find these movies to be a unique diversion. What more can you ask?

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Bugger, I was so looking forward to this, having watched the original the first time when I was about 15...then watching it 6 more times that weekend.

Don't let me keep you from seeing it. You might like it.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
We don't need a new Mad Max really, I agree we need a new idea.

Anything worth shooting is worth shooting at least twice.

Just saw it. Thought it was awesome. Although Road Warrior will always be my favorite. I couldn't help but think what brand of oil and filter and OCI length are they running post apocalypse? Certainly not "tearolators or orange cans. Maybe Fram ultra?

Last edited:
Since Mad Max takes place after the downfall of civilization, all the supplies must be old and near or past the expiration date. By the looks of it they are also out of Charmin. All they really need is hydro and guzzleline.

I thought some of you might find this site interesting. It has lots of info on many of the vehicles used in the Mad Max movies. The modified vehicles are probably the one thing we all find at least interesting about those movies.

I did notice at one point Charlize Theron called out to the guys she made a deal with and told them she had their "guzzleline." It sounded weird when she said it since she does not have an Aussie accent. Is that just how Australians say gasoline (petrol)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back