General Altimax Arctic - stud question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
You may want to PM Rabbler as there hasn't been a post/reply/thread in > 8 months!

More like 6 years.
smile.gif

BTW, since I'm the OP, I never bought the Arctics for the wife's Jetta, but I did buy them for my 530i. They are getting old now, but still have plenty of tread left. They'll end up having to be replaced due to age more than due to treadwear. Good winter tires overall.

Originally Posted By: Marisa
Originally Posted By: Rabbler
I put about 15k on my Altimax Arctics last winter (no studs)90% highway driving) across Canada and the northern US and traction was excellent tread wear is minimal.
I expect 5+ winters from these tires.
Bought another set for my wife's Alero.

so how many miles did you get out of them? 70k miles+

You may want to PM Rabbler as there hasn't been a post/reply/thread in > 8 months!
I don't think 70K is obtainable with the Arctic's. We have the same tire & size as the OP...195-65-15 with currently 2 winters on them(~ 10K miles) and they're now only down to ~ 8/32nds...Very good IMHO!

So about 20-25k miles, thanks.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

More like 6 years.
smile.gif

BTW, since I'm the OP, I never bought the Arctics for the wife's Jetta, but I did buy them for my 530i. They are getting old now, but still have plenty of tread left. They'll end up having to be replaced due to age more than due to treadwear. Good winter tires overall.

any idea of the mileage?

I've got about 10K miles on mine (size: 215/60/16). I have not measured them, but at first glance, they appear to still have majority of their tread left. However, because of their age (6 years), the rubber isn't as flexible anymore and hence their snow capabilities have somewhat diminished. But this is normal for all winter tires.

The studs dig up parking lots if you spin. Or the road. But if you're not spinning, there isn't any damage.

I'm going to be making the jump away from studded snow tires this winter. I'll probably go with Imperial S110 (they are severe snow rated) or see if I can get a cheap set of Altimax Arctics or something.

The noise isn't that desireable. I have also had a few situations where turning sharp left or right and trying to accelerate have caused the car to spin.

I've been running a set of Altimax Artics for a year and a half now, year round on my Sable. I keep them inflated to 40-44 psi. I could probably get 2-3 more years out of them before the tread gets down to replacement stage. They are quieter than the worn-out Cooper Lifeliners they replaced. Studded tires aren't legal here in Wisconsin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back