rust on a 6 month old Nissan

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I found rust today on my 9 years old car, I would be very mad. I can only imagine disappointment one have when such a thing happens on a new car. What were they thinking?
Last summer I was repairing some surface rust on my 16 year old Punto. It was only on the passenger side floor (outside). Was very disappointed never the less.

Get used to it, the new pre treat they use on the highways is going to really shorten the life span of vehicles.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Nissan and Mazda should have a competition to find which manufacturer can make a car rust faster.

Funny you say that, Dont forget subaru is catching up fast in that dept, many rusted wheel wells on late model Subarus in my area. neighbors have some 09 Outbacks, terrible paint and body integrity issues, rot popping thru all around the rear wheel wells, rockers and lower doors.

Well mine is about rust free ! But.... I live in Virginia, so not usual to have tons of snow which leads to lots of salt exposure. Some have said that sparying bottom of cars with rusteoleum .. I would think that's the only way a Nissan would have a chance up north.

Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Yup, at 2,300-2,400 miles a year I don't see how it could possibly rust.

If those 2,400 miles was done at an average speed of 50mph, I come up with 48 hours of driving time. Call it 60 as I suspect it sees a fair amount of slow city.

Originally Posted By: Olas
The Scirocco lives outside 24/7, gets washed weekly, underside rinsed off with a karcher attachment weekly, waxed monthly, underseal renewed/touched up monthly, and a full interior/exterior detail 6 monthly.

Congratulations. You quite possibly spend more time cleaning and maintaining your car than actually driving it.

It was off the road for 15 years with its previous owner (the first owner) who was in the Army, only drove it on leave and between tours of duty.

I bought it 7 or 8 years ago with 31,000 miles and now it's on 79,900. I took it off the road for a year to go through all the moving parts and basically build a new car into the shell and its been my daily driver the whole time (except times when it wasn't rolling, like when I did the HG and when I put a new loom in)

its lived upside the whole time I've had it and judging by how badly faded the paint was down the passenger side when I bought it, versus how much less faded it was on the drivers side I assume it spent a fair long time outside before I bought it.

Originally Posted By: Apples555
The Scirocco lives outside 24/7, gets washed weekly, underside rinsed off with a karcher attachment weekly, waxed monthly, underseal renewed/touched up monthly, and a full interior/exterior detail 6 monthly.

What is this exactly?

It's a Hammerite product, well known in the UK and Europe with body shops, restoration guys and the classic car scene in general. Goes on as thick as tar and sticks where you put it. The good thing is that it doesn't crack, the outer layer hardens slightly but underneath it remains super viscous and sticky so if a stone or something damages the coating, some of the gloopy stuff from underneath leaches out and when it hits the air it seals over.

I don't make, promote or sell it, I just use the stuff.

http://www.hammerite.co.uk/products/underbody_seal.jsp

Last edited:
I come from a long line of Ford products ... Rust at 6 months isn't normal???

Haha. I'm kidding, partially. I like Fords but man, do they rust.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Ferrous metal oxidises in the presence of air and water. If you keep that metal separated from air and/or water with primer, paint, clear, and underseal then it *cant* rust.

It's been repainted and the body guys said there was no rust anywhere, and there has never been any mention of rust or corrosion on any of the 33 annual examinations it's had.

I do all the mechanical work on the car, I know it inside out and back to front, and there is NO rust.

Only shoddy manufacturing coupled with lazy owners allows vehicular corrosion.

At 78,000 miles and 33 years on that vehicle, me thinks you are exaggerating here a bit about how heavily the vehicle is exposed to the elements. Now, if that vehicle had 300,000+ miles, I would be impressed.

Still, kudos for your upkeep and determination
cheers3.gif

I'm not exaggerating at all, it's lived outside all the time I've had it and the way the paint was faded to death down one side but relatively ok down the other side makes me think it spent time outside with the previous owner.
Thanks for the kudos
smile.gif
its worth the determination and upkeep to drive one of only 12 cars on the road in the whole country
smile.gif

A link to a UK site showing my car is one of only 12 registered examples in the country

https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?utf8=✓&q=Scirocco+cl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back