Running on water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is from a 2005 Suzuki Carry, a 4x4 pickup, off road farm vehicle only. Some farmers use them instead of quad bikes, and they run ATV tyres. They overheated it, and then it wouldn't go anymore. I found water on the rear plug (3 cyl)and the engine is locked up - I can turn it 180 degrees, but locks up either direction, and the camchain is OK. So I pulled the sump off, and found what I expected...although it's a bit more that what I thought I'd find.

2015-05-26%2013.05.53_zps3wrhrmmb.jpg

The conrod had the gudgeon pin still in it, rod cap was off and one bolt sitting in the rod. I drained out a sump full of coolant and very little oil - They have blown the headgasket, or cracked the head, coolant has ended up in the sump and they've continued to drive it...until it finally stopped. I haven't pulled the head, and won't - an engine is on the way and I'll fit it tomorrow. I've got it high on stands and dropped engine and trans out the bottom.

The top of the piston is still slammed up into the head. We've found an engine, these things are not common, the importer sells them as farm vehicles only, and have a bit of a captive market for spares.

2015-05-26%2013.06.15_zps22mndzvs.jpg

We have quite a few JDM Carrys here, on the road.
Small contractors and lawn maintenance/landscaping crews seem to like them.

I don't think the damage was from hydraulicing, that would be compressive damage. The rod bearing has flogged out, the bottom of the rod shows extreme heat, and the nuts have ripped off the rod bolts, the threads are flattened where the nuts have torn down. The baffle plate also shows hammering where the rod has been slamming into it. The piston may have even seized, although I can see no scoring on parts of the skirt I can find.

This is what we are talking about, with ATV wheels...although this one is a lot cleaner.

4part2.jpg

The Kawasaki is a bit flash for Kiwi dairy farmers - this is still the most common AG bike we see around here.

AG100_Right_Front.jpg

In it goes. Runs sweet. In the foreground is a Mazda 6 engine, I'm doing that tomorrow. I started on that before the Suzuki, but it bumped the Mazda.

2015-06-02%2014.31.38_zpskd5mrbvj.jpg

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Will any liquid compress?

Yes

Hulk compress water! ARGH! Considering the great depth of Earth's oceans, one might expect water getting increasingly dense with depth due to increasing pressure from the water above. Reasitically, water density increases very little with depth but rather because of changes in temperature. Yes, liquids can be compressed, but it takes a lot of pressure.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/tables/compress.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back