Oil change video-FAIL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
No matter how carfull I try to be when changing the oil in everything I own, I still manage to spill some. I learned to put cardboard pizza boxes down under the pan, and at least for 2 feet around the pan. Even when I'm proud off myself for not spilling some oil, I'll bump the pan and put a small wave on the cardboard. Sometimes you can't win.

You've got it exactly right. There is always some way for a little oil to spill. I too use a cardboard "drape" (in the medical sense) under the pan. But on a recent change a wind gust caught the cardboard, tipping it up a bit and spilling a little oil. You just can't win.

It is funny now that it is illustrated on this video.

For all the encouraging we do regarding oil and transmission fluid drain & fills NOBODY ever mentions the surprising force of the gush or the "long" trajectory the chute of oil usually takes.

Also, on a personal note, those flat catch pans which aren't open are ridiculous. You need an open pan and the ones with a built in spout are best because you can easily and cleanly transfer the old oil into jugs or catch drums.

Pulling the drain plug with that narrow funnel was totally rookie. Had he known otherwise, he would've done otherwise. Kira

This is the pan he needed:

r_34.jpg

The whole top unscrews. They were made by Rubbermaid, but unfortunately, they're no longer available. I got one and I'm not giving it up.

Oops, I didn't realize the name was registered. I sincerely thought this is what posters called their wife or girlfriend!

No worries, she's not active here anymore.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Oops, I didn't realize the name was registered. I sincerely thought this is what posters called their wife or girlfriend!

worst I got was changing oil in the summer, did the grease zerks first. Unknown to me, a storm was blowing up, and just as I removed the plug, the first gust hit. Yes, hot oil all over me.

Rod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back