Have any of you gone to see Fury Road?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spoilers ahead!

While the original Mad Max, but especially its sequel The Road Warrior are surely the finest cinematic action spectacles filmed in and to ever come out of Australia, the reboot was mostly shot in Namibia and other parts of SA. Sure, one desert looks like the next, but it still isn't the same.
The reboot is also more of a chick flick and max takes quite literally the backseat to Theron's renegade truckdriver/liberator of breeding stock. The main chases, and they are each like 30 minutes long demolition derbies and pretty spectecular, although CGI-enhanced. Never has a sparely-clad warrior looked more picturesque when getting blown by an explosion off a vehicle before becoming a jumbled mess of limbs rolling in the sand.
As for the story, it seemed lame. Kurgan, I mean Immortan the self-annointed god of the 20,000 people who live under a giant rock in the desert is angry because of his raiders, a truck-driving Charlize Theron has freed his extremely nubile, pregnant and lactating women and is now on the run, having stolen a war rig. During the ensuing chase, Max, who was captured by Immortan's men, is strapped to a pursuit vehicle as a live "bloodbank." Wearing a Hannibal Lector/Bane face mask so he won't bite people, Max is helpless during the chase until the vehicle on which he plays hood ornament crashes explodes. After getting a bath and an entertaining S&M treatment from Immortan's ladies and especially from the renegade truck driver, Max teams up with the aptly named Furiosa (Theron) in an effort to get to safety at a rumored "green place." Bane, I mean Lector finally manages to take off his ridiculous muzzle. The green dream withers when the escapees happen upon a ragtag band of old motorcycle chicks. The hags say there's no green place anywhere left. After lots of navel-gazing and mulling the limited choices, try crossing the desert and probably die or, turning back and taking over Immortan's giant rock lair, they decide to go back, the whole kit and kaboodle, lactating chicks and all. Another giant chase ensues and the victorious Max, skinhead Furiosa, most of the lactating babes and some of the old hags make it back to the giant rock lair, the very dead Immortan strapped to a vehicle like a dead buck. Everyone, including the thirsty masses is happy, and get a quick bath, but after a curt nod to Furiosa, Max slinks off back into the dessert. He's just not a people person.
At least spring for the 3D version if you decide to watch it at all.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Movie was terrible. And I mean TERRIBLE.

I saw it at the drive in and fell asleep on it. Everything looked CGI and no scene held more than 1/2 second. And it was just stupid.

Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
I enjoyed Fury...
Tanks were real, borrowed from museums...

And the Tic Tacs traveled via time machine to WW2!

DANG!

They should've made it raw like the first two, and in Australia.

I agree

Mad max and its sequel, where they were running out of
oil, were great, grainy-filmed, wide-open space,
real-feeling movies. Thanks for the heads up,
independent review. I hate stupid CGI.

I took my son to see Avengers and saw the Fury Road trailer. I wanted it to be good, but I have very little faith in Hollywood. Special effects are more important than the story anymore.

The trailer could have shown Tom Cruise and a few Care Bears and I'd have still seen it. That's just because I was a child of the 80's. So I did see it.

Is it as good as the first? Not to me, but Thunderdome wasn't either. Perhaps the excitement of a younger generation will proove the movie's worth in the long run.

As for me, it moved too quickly. The chase scenes weren't balanced by tense slow downs an the scenes where Max was down on his luck were early enough that we knew he'd make it. Also, I'd like to have heard more Max. The guy was a mute. The War Boys actually kind of won my heart.

Overall it looks like they hae shifted the flow such that Max can encounter people in sequels and they take the lead for that movie edition. So I hope to see more.

Loved Fury Road on almost every level. Gorgeous, fast-paced, well-acted, exactly as preposterious as it should have been -- no more, no less.

It was also nice to see an action movie where some women got to show their real chops and not just be accessories.

Can't say I'm dying to see it again, but it was WELL worth the price of admission.

It seams there are very few movies that are worth the $ these days, last movie I really enjoyed was The Imitation Game. More and more I say to myself "I'll wait for that on DVD"

Its like the industry needs some new ideas....the constant good vs evil theme is rather old now.

stro_cruiser, part of the problem is them trying to reinvent the same old thing.

How many spidermans have there been ?
supermans ?

We don't need a new Mad Max really, I agree we need a new idea.

As a Wolverine tragic, I was appalled when they cast Hugh Jackman, and really became a fan of the performance ... it was new, wasn't what I expected, but was impressed with the novel part of it.

Which is why I want to see some Brian Lumley vampires, some Raymond Feist "Fearie Tale", George RR Martin "Fevre Dream", David Gemmell's Shannow series, Waylander, Druss, or Troy series...Roofworld by Christopher Fowler could be steampunk through to modern New York.

There's a trillion ideas out there, but everyone wants to go back to their childhood when reinventing (moreso with CGI) what could have been instead of what could be.

What are you talking about? The movie was chock-a-block full of cool equipment! The all wheel drive trucks with huge tires and their incredible ability to conquer all kinds of terrain.

I especially enjoyed the flaming guitar and drum trucks!

I absolutely loved it!

jPcRgXr-1431710593.gif

file.php

mad_max_4_fury_road_1959_cadillac_gigahorse_3_by_maltian-d5oomuu.jpg

coolproducti....jpg

Last edited:
Lots of CGI graphics, lots of impressive stunts, impressive wardrobe, etc do not tell story or plot. The movie had no plot, no story, and was just a bunch of stunts, explosions, car flips, and driving though the desert for two hours. I wouldn't even consider it a movie honestly, as there was no plot. Feel free to waste your money watching people drive through the desert for two hours. Worst "movie" of the year - freaking joke.

People that like this movie seem to be the kind that like pointless comic book movies such as Avengers, Transformers, Batman, etc. Impressed with graphics and wardrobe but don't care about plot or story telling.

Movie made no sense what so ever. End of the world scenario and you got a bunch of "war boys" just burning thousands and thousand of gallons of fuel with flame throwers just to look cool I guess. A stupid guitar and speaker truck with flames being shot out of a guitar. Spray silver paint on the mouth of "war boys" to give them a shot of energy similar to speed or heroin. Yeah, Ok. Dude with fully auto machine gun that just shoots non-stop for no apparent reason. I'm talking thousands and thousands of rounds just shot out into the desert as they are driving along. Pointless, pointless, drivel.

I thought Fury Road was quite good.

The complaints about CGI in this thread are off base. While there is some CGI used, like in all modern action movies, they specifically made an effort to minimize it and focus on practical effects.

There's a lot less CGI in this then you'll see in many other movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back