Old Porsche

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, these (west) German cars are interesting me.

I am looking to locate and get info, pictures, mpg logs, etc on an air-cooled, horizontally-opposed, RE, manual steering, movable flap front windows, no AC car .

Were these made in the sixties, seventies or 80-up?

The 914. The 4 clyinder 914's had electronic fuel injection. People were known to cheap out on the rotor button which limited the RPM's. Using a VW rotor button could make the engine over rev and drop a valve. They were the car to have and mod for SCCA racing even into the 90's.

Last edited:
I had a 74 914. Not a lot of power , but man it handled!! Still miss it. Lot of fun with low hp. A lot of the front end suspension was 911. Mid engine, i could get a bit squirrely to handle if you got it sideways.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Hello, these (west) German cars are interesting me. I am looking to locate and get info, pictures, mpg logs, etc on an air-cooled, horizontally-opposed, RE, manual steering, movable flap front windows, no AC car . Were these made in the sixties, seventies or 80-up?

Having owned four Porsche's and been the local club pres/member for 7 years...a Porsche is a money toilet. A beautiful, well handling money toilet. They're gorgeous and are amazing cars but are VERY expensive to get worked on by someone that knows what they are doing.

That being said, if you have deep pockets and want one don't get in a hurry and do a LOT of research. Best place to start is reading here porsche 911 wiki Then you'll want to contact the nearest Porsche club and go hang out at a few of their meetings and talk to folks that know the cars. This will save you a ton of time, money and heart-ache. Oh, and rennlist.com forums is another great place to learn.

Porsche's done right are a way of life!
11.gif

Since you mention "RE", I assume you mean rear engine. Which means a 911 given the time frame of cars you mention.

I believe the Targa's had front vent windows up into the 80's. The Coupes had fixed front vent windows starting in 1969.

Don't plan on owning a '73 or earlier car without lots of cash as they have appreciated greatly in the past 10 to 15 years. The '78 and newer cars have appreciated greatly too in the past few years. Right now, the best deals are in '74-'77, but those can also be big headaches & moneypits as they constitute the greatest collection of cars that haven't been kept up as well. They are great cars and many can be had for a good price, you just better know what you are getting into.

PelicanParts 911 Technical forum and Rennlist are the two most popular Porsche 911 forums.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Hello, these (west) German cars are interesting me.

I am looking to locate and get info, pictures, mpg logs, etc on an air-cooled, horizontally-opposed, RE, manual steering, movable flap front windows, no AC car .

Were these made in the sixties, seventies or 80-up?

Last edited:
Danke!

Yes, drtyler. Why have vent windows of they wont open? I want a hardtop for structure, no ac, power steering, water pump....just a fan and alternator belt. Manual steering for engagement and less complexity.

Just wondering if there is a car out there That is minimalist and makes good sense. Ya know....simple yet effective!

I saw some 911 and 912 Porsche cars on eBay that looked to be onthe right path.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back