Champ Oil Filters, Should I Buy This?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They're a well made basic filter. Can't go wrong at that price. Fram owns Champ, but they're not the same filters. If they were Ecores I'd pass on them, but it appears they are the standard Champ filter construction.

Here's a review of them on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/8j04vOwwkGg

You really don't see the CHAMP brand anywhere.

The only place I've seen them is a Do-It best hardware store one town over from Champions plant.

I would use them at the shop if I didn't have an option. I wasn't a fan of them. They've switched to an e-core design, and we had a string of leaks with them, actually now that I think of it we had one completely grenade on a customers car about a week after we changed his oil. He didn't shut the engine down quick enough and it cost us an engine.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL

The last brick and mortar store to carry them around here was a parts store that I frequented in the 80s.
I currently do see them on closeout on the RockAuto site.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL

Blain's Farm & Fleet carries Champ brand air filters. The construction and media seem less robust than the comparable Fram, and the price isn't much less, so I've never used them.

I am interested in quality and value for the money. For example if the same company who makes these filters also makes the Fram....and it is the same filter inside without the name brand....then why pay more? I looked at the Champ website and the filter seems to be made like a Fram....bonded end caps and such. I wonder if this filter is exactly what we know as a Fram orange can simply without the grip on the end and the name brand mark up. I am not that guys who claims a Fram is junk or that a Puralator tears, etc. I feel that in either case....those are rare mistakes with a small batch of filters and every company has defects. I use the OEM OCI in my care of 3750 miles so I wonder if these oil filters are good enough to help my car go 250000 miles or more when using a quality motor oil such as Smitty's Super S Multiflo or Havoline. Get the idea? Lesser known or used brands that still do the job without the name brand hype and markup in price.
smile.gif

They are in old packaging so I'm guessing atleast 5 years or more older. Why not spend a buck more a filter buy new i.e. case of Napa ProSelect MP packs(most stores will deal on them) or some other jobber filter with a warranty and new product. Is saving 12-14 dollars really worth it? Save your money on something else in my opinion.

Dave

Originally Posted By: s1mp13m4n
Are these filters for quick lube/shop use?...
Yes, pretty much a jobber filter for quick lubes and indies. The youtube posted above shows the construction, this being a small application (6607/14612) size it is non ecore Champ construction. No media area leader, a very basic oil filter. Be similar to STP, Firestone Lube, 'WM 'fram' Core and also now the 'fram' Defense oil filter line found in some low end value stores.

Quote:
Is this basically a Fram without the packaging and name brand mark up?
It's Fram from the standpoint that Rank Group which purchased Champ Labs first, then Fram, decided to wrap Champ filters under the bigger and more recognized Fram banner. However Champ made filters do not use the fiber endcap construction of the orange can or tough guard. Excluding the ecores, Champ uses metal end cap construction on their spin filters.

So, if you're looking for a very basic filter for 3-5k oci's these should be 'adequate.' That said, 'I' sure wouldn't pay any more than the total with shipping listed. The buck a filter price without the shipping costs, imo seems more like it.

Thank you all very much for the help. Well based on the help that everyone provided I will pass on this. I am not trying to be cheap, I am simply looking for a good value. My family and I shop a lot at Sams Club. The paper towels, toilet paper, bottled water, etc are all made for the Sams Club brand by someone else at a much lower cost. That is what I was trying to do with motor oil and oil filters. However, it is not worth the $2 like it was said if the product is questionable or 5 years out of date, etc. Thanks again for the help. I will pass on this deal and just stick with the local store and brands that we all trust.

Originally Posted By: s1mp13m4n
Thank you all very much for the help. Well based on the help that everyone provided I will pass on this. I am not trying to be cheap, I am simply looking for a good value.

Check out the Wix made Napa Silvers or O'Reilly Micorgards then, or the Quaker State filters available at Menards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back