What Does Sugar Do to the Brain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
sugar_brain.jpg

apparently pretty serious stuff: http://www.drfuhrman.com/library/what_does_sugar_do_to_the_brain.aspx

and this is no joke, studies from different groups agree about sugars causing dementia.

My family will soon be embarking on an eight week sugar "detox" in which we will wean ourselves off of most high-sugar foods and then continue indefinitely with severely limiting sugars and sugar substitutes. I believe the plan is to even cut out fruit for the eight weeks in order to help break the sugar addiction and then reintroduce them after our brains have been re-calibrated to not crave sugar as much. With four kids under the age if eight it will be a tough task but we will be meal planning and shopping around those plans in order to make it as successful as possible.

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
My family will soon be embarking on an eight week sugar "detox" in which we will wean ourselves off of most high-sugar foods and then continue indefinitely with severely limiting sugars and sugar substitutes. I believe the plan is to even cut out fruit for the eight weeks in order to help break the sugar addiction and then reintroduce them after our brains have been re-calibrated to not crave sugar as much. With four kids under the age if eight it will be a tough task but we will be meal planning and shopping around those plans in order to make it as successful as possible.

Good luck that is a tough one. Close to nicotine. I have read the average person at the turn of the 20th century ate 10lbs of sugar annually.Today it's 150lbs . We wonder why electric carts are prevalent

I put on a few pounds , so i'm doing lower carb foods. If i eat carbs its in the morning, and i'm avoiding the simple sugars as well.
Seems i craved sweets for about 2 days then the craving for them was a lot less.

Originally Posted By: eddy21

Good luck that is a tough one. Close to nicotine.

agree, sugar addiction is real. took me 3 separate attempts to do Atkins diet in the past. the first week was brutal. in retrospect, gradual change is easier than cold turkey. in the rat study (referenced in the link i posted) rats preferred sugar over cocaine.

Have a friend who is a pretty bad type 2 diabetic, and was complaining of getting fuzzy headed and craving sugar at various stages of the day.

Got him to try a level teaspoon of coconut oil to see if his brain ran better on ketones than glocuose (in his insulin resistant body), and he has had great success (thinking, and blowing way the sugar craving).

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
It may prevent seeing tears in Purolator oil filters when the tear is plain as day in a large clear picure.

I hear ya ...
crackmeup2.gif

cutting out sugar is one of the best things you could do. Ann Boroch has a great book on candida (affects men as well as women) and its deeper effects.

"Fed Up" is a great documentary on this subject. Sugar lights up the brain in a very similar way that cocaine does.

Again as far as im concerned, it comes back to the corrupt corporations, closely linked to the FDA and other self serving organisations helping one another to maximize profit. They dont care about us. We have to move away from eating food products and eat actual food.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
It may prevent seeing tears in Purolator oil filters when the tear is plain as day in a large clear picure.

I knew someone would go there

Fake sugar like most fake foods is not good for you. Add fake sugars to a sedentary life style and plenty of prescription drugs along with smoking and some alcohol and you're on the all American health plan.

The CDC is now predicting that current generations will have a shorter life span than their immediate ancestors. For all this you can thank modern medicine and our convenient life style.

I eat way too much sugar.

- Can easily eat 1 Quart of Ice Cream per day.
- Can easily drink 2 cans of Pop a day.
- Then all the other stuff that has sugar in it.

Oh, my Step-Daughter just brought me home a McFlurry from her work. LOL!!

Eggs are now good for you, cholesterol is okay and fats are needed by your body. No sugar is the new rage. Tomorrow eggs will be bad for you again.

I just try and limit the amount of sugar I consume and when I do need a sweetener I prefer local honey.

If you want to limit sugar here's a tip - either drink water or if you prefer you can put an inch or two of juice in glass and fill the rest with water and stir it up. I've been doing this for years and it saves money and is healthier. The few times I have had straight juice I near pass out for the sugar explosion...you will get used to watered down drinks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GMFan
Eggs are now good for you, cholesterol is okay and fats are needed by your body. No sugar is the new rage. Tomorrow eggs will be bad for you again.

difference us that in no way shape or form, can you mount an argument that sugar is good for you...it's only calories, and nothing else.

Eggs have protein, fatty acids, minerals and stuff (basically all that you need to build a complete chicken).

Cutting out fruit to cut out sugar seems backwards to me.

The Atkins diet (and most other "diets") seem insane to me. I've seen people do everything from literally starve themselves to trying the latest fad diet, and RARELY (not never) do they work. In most cases, the person gains back what they lost and more, all at the possible expense of their long-term health (all meats and cheeses, no carbs, as originally interpreted for the Atkins diet...)

Seriously, eat good things in large quantities and bad things in moderation and you'll be fine. For most people, we don't have a problem that needs extensive work to fix. Me, I need to quit eating chips and eating large meals at the end of the day (I eat very little throughout the day while in shift work, then eat a lot when I get off.)

The other thing is being active. I haven't worked out (for real) in years; I'm just lucky my job gets me off my butt, running around, up and down stairs and ladderwells often (there's an elevator, but I choose the stairs every single time.)

Eat more fat and protein, limit your carbs. Veggies are fine, but not corn, potatoes or beans. Eat all the eggs you want. If you have to have sugar, keep it to once a week.

I have been eating a Paleo diet for the past six months. I found out I couldn't eat gluten. I was having bad stomach aches and found gluten was the cause. Pretty much all the sugar I get comes naturally. Also lost 20 lbs. BTW this is a very easy diet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back