Husky 346xp chainsaw starting issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

mez

My 6 year husky 346xp will not start. It may probably has less the 15 hour on it. It has spark and I see gas on the spark plug. I also see gas around the muffler after attempting to start it. It been sitting in my basement for about 2 year since the last time i started it. Not sure if i left gas in it but it was dry when i added gas/oil to it. What do you guys think? I dirty carb?

Thanks,

John

Check for cracked fuel lines, cracked primer bulb, allowing too much air to be sucked in. I assume the fuel is fresh. You might have to disassemble the carb. Check the in tank fuel filter first.

Originally Posted By: nitehawk55
Actually the Husky 346XP is a good saw and I worked for the Stihl company for years .
Yes the xp is a pro saw and worth the effort fresh dry plug and fresh gas and try again before tearing it apart if plug was wet and spark you would think it would pop if that gas is any good.

Last edited:
Take the carb to a husky dealer and ask for it to be sonic cleaned best 30.00 I ever spent carb ran like new.

That is an amazing little saw, don't ever get rid of it.

I'd say it's a dirty carb... Go with a new plug to be sure (assuming you're getting spark) but get ready to check out Amazon or eBay for a rebuild kit.

Sonic cleaning? That sounds awesome - never heard of such a thing.

Mez... If you use it that infrequently, consider the premix. Supposed to last a lot longer and it's E0 so you don't have to contend with that garbage. I know the Echo 50:1 around me costs about $8 a quart and TruFuel maybe $6.

Originally Posted By: Finz
I'd say it's a dirty carb... Go with a new plug to be sure (assuming you're getting spark) but get ready to check out Amazon or eBay for a rebuild kit.

Sonic cleaning? That sounds awesome - never heard of such a thing.

Mez... If you use it that infrequently, consider the premix. Supposed to last a lot longer and it's E0 so you don't have to contend with that garbage. I know the Echo 50:1 around me costs about $8 a quart and TruFuel maybe $6.

I have a Solo 681 that wouldn't start everything in awesome shape even the carb looked clean, got it sonic cleaned then ran perfectly.

Originally Posted By: Joe_Power
Do yourself a favor, and find the nearest dumpster. Then, toss that saw in it. Then go buy a Stihl. You can thank me later.

Respectfully, this is your advice for everybody having issues with their two strokes. (references upon request) I'm sure Stihl makes wonderful stuff as attested here, but realize millions "get the job done" successfully without blindly purchasing their products.

As noted even a ex Stihl employee has issued an "honest" evaluation of a competitor's product; it would be nice if you would consider this also.

Last edited:
A wet sparkplug can mean it is flooded. Take the spark plug out and turn engine over many times to air out and also spray the spark plug with some brake cleaner or carb/choke cleaner. You also can take some compressed air to blow inside the cylinder to help dry it out. This has happened to me before. A wet spark plug not allowing the fuel mixture to fire because it is too dense.

Maybe you already know, but holding the throttle WO clears out a flooded motor. No more than 15-20 pulls should clear it. I'd be surprised if the plug is fouled with that little use.

What is causing gas out of the muffler? Because it flooded?

If its flooded...clean carburator...especially area around needle seat...

And if it was siting for 2years...change membranes also!

And that's it
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: mez
What is causing gas out of the muffler? Because it flooded?

Most likely how else would gas get from the carb to there?
Just rebuild the whole carb and be done with things.

Well after the chainsaw sat a few weeks, I tried to start it and after two pulls it started right up.

Well after the chainsaw sat a few weeks, I tried to start it and after two pulls it started right up.

I'm going with a wet plug. Glad to hear it fired up for you.

I've seen this happen a bunch of times. You think it has serious carb problems, when actually it was just flooded really badly and needed to dry the cylinder/spark plug off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back