Airplay

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a receiver that has an app which allows me to play ipod songs via airplay. Only problem is every few seconds it cuts off and then goes back on. I called Denon and troubleshooted to no avail. Can anyone suggest a solution?
Thanks in advance

I use airplay quite a bit. It could be your wireless router isn't transmitting a strong enough signal to each device or one of your devices isn't transmitting a strong enough signal to your router. Another thing is the software or hardware in the router may be hitting its own limits with the traffic.

My suggestion is start with keeping the devices no further than line of sight with your router and see if you have the issue arise.

My experience with this is I used to have a 40$ router and I upgraded to a 150$ one. After troubleshooting my network issues like: cutting out/lag, losing signal, some devices just not connecting. Getting a new router was my solution. All my issues went away after the upgrade. Not saying go out and spend over 100$ on a new router, but in my case the old router was pretty old...like 7 years old. The new router just so happens to have a larger wifi radius too.

Yeah I kind of think that may be my problem as well. We do have a good amount of devices on my current router. I have verizon so I may give them a call regarding an upgrade.

Originally Posted By: brslds
It could be your wireless router isn't transmitting a strong enough signal to each device or one of your devices isn't transmitting a strong enough signal to your router.

I agree that this is the most likely culprit. I use Airplay quite a bit and the audio quality is considerably better than Bluetooth as long as you have a good wifi signal.

Finally did a test on the router. With my iphone within 5 feet of the router, airplay never cut off. But when sitting by the pool from about 15 feet through a wall, it was cutting off.
I currently have Verizon and was wondering if I should just try to get an upgraded router through them. I believe it should be around $100.

Before getting a new router give these two things a shot:

1. Use aluminum foil to shape your signal. Seriously. Think of the wireless signal as light that can go through wall, (obviously weaker once through). Use the foil or (place your phone next to a coke can) to reflect a stronger signal back... or like in most homes where the router is usually at one end of the house... put foil behind router next to the wall closest to it to reflect the energy back into the home.

If you want to get fancy... http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/template2/index.html
will give you an idea. Even fancier wall penetrating spiral antennas can be DIY made with videos off youtube.

2. Turn on QOS in your router. That helps set a priority to different types of traffic. Yes, most of it deals with prioritizing video/web/voice content over the Internet, but on some routers it may also help with local network traffic.

Last edited:
So anytime I have seen QOS implemented in a cheapo router, it slows down everything.

These types of devices don't have the power to do traffic shaping on a ton of devices.

I would take a look at the wifi settings and see what channel it is broadcasting on.

You may need to play with the channel to get to one that is less saturated, basically you want the one that your neighbors are not all using as well.

Use a free iphone app or android app to test signal strength while walking around your house and see what works best.

I would not buy a router from verizon, they are going to give you garbage. If you need to get a better router, check the reviews on newegg and buy one there.

You will need to set the verizon provided device to bridge mode and physically uplink a cable to the new router.

How big is your house also?

Originally Posted By: GGorman04
Justin
How easy is it to setup a router to work with existing verizon?
Thanks

Very simple. Just google verizon fios bridge mode, with the model of your router.

You just log directly into the router and check one box in the interface, then plug in the new router to the old one.

Basically you tell the verizon device to just act as a modem, and to uplink the data to a real router.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back