Can an Ooma usb wifi dongle be substituted?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to make my Ooma wireless but don't want to pay their high price for their usb piece. Is it possible to use a different one to accomplish the same thing? Thanks

Originally Posted By: daves66nova
I want to make my Ooma wireless but don't want to pay their high price for their usb piece. Is it possible to use a different one to accomplish the same thing? Thanks

What exactly are you trying to do?

I can see a number of ways to make it wireless.. such as plugging its ethernet cable into a wireless adapter/router type device.
(that's connected wirelessly to the actual internet router)

Originally Posted By: Rand
Originally Posted By: daves66nova

What exactly are you trying to do?

I want to get rid of cables and make it wireless.

to answer your question, you have to use their USB adapter.. its a proprietary one that also includes bluetooth.

at 50$ its not terribly expensive and easier than other options.

your other option is to run a wireless ethernet adapter such as

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WR702N-...thernet+adapter

and set it up in client mode.
Quote:

Client Mode
Definition: The TL-WR702N is connected to another device via Ethernet core and acts as an adaptor to send/receive the wireless signal from your wireless network.

Application: For a Smart TV, Media Player, or game console with an Ethernet port. Use the 702N to make your devices Wi-Fi enabled, granting them access to your wireless network.

not recommending that one in particular just using it as an example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back