Acura 3.7L engine question. Actually two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
First question. What year did this engine with the aluminum/silicon cylinder liners come on the scene?

Second question or request. What is the highest mileage you have seen on this engine or tell your high mileage story.

I hear so many stories about oil consumption in this engine (mine included) that I would like a different perspective on the longevity I might expect from it, oil use notwithstanding.

Originally Posted By: jmb106
Sorry I cant answer your ?'s. But I have one for you. Why are you using a 0w40 in a car speced for 5w20?

Was using 1 qt per 2k miles on various synthetic 5w-20 oils. Did some research and found that in Germany, Scandinavia, Australia this 3.7L engine is speced for 0W-30 or 0W-40. The car now uses 1qt per 4k miles. Also changed the PCV which kind of muddies the waters. With over 6k using this oil I can discern no difference. Runs smooth, is quiet and gas mileage is the same.

Not really high mileage however I have a 2007 MDX 3.7 with 130k and oil consumption is about 1/2qt every 5k-6k miles. I use 5w30 dino.

My OCI is around 5k-6k miles.

Sorry I cant answer your ?'s. But I have one for you. Why are you using a 0w40 in a car speced for 5w20?
It is a better oil.

Originally Posted By: MajorCavalry

Was using 1 qt per 2k miles on various synthetic 5w-20 oils. Did some research and found that in Germany, Scandinavia, Australia this 3.7L engine is speced for 0W-30 or 0W-40. The car now uses 1qt per 4k miles. Also changed the PCV which kind of muddies the waters. With over 6k using this oil I can discern no difference. Runs smooth, is quiet and gas mileage is the same.

No way gas mileage is "the same" using a 40, compared to a 20. Every engineering test where they carefully measure diff in fuel economy shows that viscous drag of thicker oil is a real thing. Around 2% fuel economy loss going from a 20 to using a thick 40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back