60 Gallon Compressor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I decided I wanted a new toy for the garage, and took advantage of the holiday weekend deals and bought a 60 gallon compressor from Lowes, online. I plan on picking it up during the week after work when my van will be empty. The store manager had someone call me and tell me the compressor must be transported standing upright. I've helped a few friends move these things around over the years and we've laid them down. I asked why, and the girl said they had gas in them. I realize she meant oil, but didn't feel like getting into it with her, so I'm assuming the compressor is shipped with oil in the motor. Aside from some oil possibly spilling, is there any problem laying this thing down in the back of my van. I'd rather not have to borrow a PU for this, or pay $85 for a delivery. TIA.

Yeah, if it's a oil lubed compressor oil will leak from the breather if the unit is laid down. I'd just drain it out in a clean, cut open w/s washer fluid jug or similar so you could lay it down (with some cardboard and rags handy).

FWIW, I've had small oil lubed ones tip over on me and make a mess.

Last edited:
Many are bolted to a skid and lifted with forklift due to weight can be 400+ pounds shipping weight if it's just a toy u can lay them down.

Last edited:
Lay it down but get your oil drain pan and set it under the motor while transporting incase it leaks.

Originally Posted By: dave123
Many are bolted to a skid and lifted with forklift due to weight can be 400+ pounds shipping weight if it's just a toy u can lay them down.

It weighs about 210 lbs. I thought they were shipped w/o oil in the motor, and they gave you a bottle with directions to fill it up before plugging it in, along with the break-in procedure. I guess I was wrong. Now that I know they come filled with oil, I was thinking of draining the oil before I put it in the van. Then filling it up and following the break-in procedure once I set it up in the garage.

I could also toss a black plastic garbage bag over the motor and seal it. Then I could put on a stack of drop cloths at the top of the tank to prop up the motor. Maybe then not that much oil will run out.

I suspect it may be same/similar to the C-H 60 gal compressor I bought from Tractor Supply about a year ago. Not an issue to lay it down but some oil can leak as mentioned, depends on which side you lay it on I think. Mine was mounted on a wooden skid and I let it sit for a couple of days before I ever ran it while I was messing with connections and things.

I really like the one I got, some things I did:
- changed the oil after initial run of about a hour.
- added an extension where the oil drain plug is, if I remember like a 1/8"x6" NPT pipe with cap. This allows me to drain the oil without it dribbling all over the pump base.
- anchored it to the floor with threaded studs, but it sits on vibration pads. I cut the three 3"x3" I needed from one 6"x6" piece bought from McMaster Carr #5996K51, with one left over.
- installed a globe valve in the outlet piping before the filter/regulator to isolate the tank.
- I ran a black iron pipe setup in my garage with outlets where I needed them.
- runs on dedicated 220a circuit that I can also use for my stick welder. I can plug in either one to the outlet.

Originally Posted By: Mud
I suspect it may be same/similar to the C-H 60 gal compressor I bought from Tractor Supply about a year ago. Not an issue to lay it down but some oil can leak as mentioned, depends on which side you lay it on I think. Mine was mounted on a wooden skid and I let it sit for a couple of days before I ever ran it while I was messing with connections and things.

I really like the one I got, some things I did:
- changed the oil after initial run of about a hour.
- added an extension where the oil drain plug is, if I remember like a 1/8"x6" NPT pipe with cap. This allows me to drain the oil without it dribbling all over the pump base.
- anchored it to the floor with threaded studs, but it sits on vibration pads. I cut the three 3"x3" I needed from one 6"x6" piece bought from McMaster Carr #5996K51, with one left over.
- installed a globe valve in the outlet piping before the filter/regulator to isolate the tank.
- I ran a black iron pipe setup in my garage with outlets where I needed them.
- runs on dedicated 220a circuit that I can also use for my stick welder. I can plug in either one to the outlet.

That sounds like what I plan on doing with it. Between Trav's great suggestions and my brother's I'll have it set up real nice.

Be sure to run a flex hose off tank before hard pipe for vibration Filter as far from tank as possible. Take oem drain off bottom of tank most are junk install ball valve for draining.

Last edited:
Be sure to run a flex hose off tank before hard pipe for vibration Filter as far from tank as possible. Take oem drain off bottom of tank most are junk install ball valve for draining.

Yup, forgot about that, used hydraulic hose, works great and already had the fittings.

Will do thanks!

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I decided I wanted a new toy for the garage, and took advantage of the holiday weekend deals and bought a 60 gallon compressor from Lowes, online. I plan on picking it up during the week after work when my van will be empty. The store manager had someone call me and tell me the compressor must be transported standing upright. I've helped a few friends move these things around over the years and we've laid them down. I asked why, and the girl said they had gas in them. I realize she meant oil, but didn't feel like getting into it with her, so I'm assuming the compressor is shipped with oil in the motor. Aside from some oil possibly spilling, is there any problem laying this thing down in the back of my van. I'd rather not have to borrow a PU for this, or pay $85 for a delivery. TIA.

Is it this one?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_54284-1126-VT6362_1z10d74

Funny i just bought this saturday evening!
I had them set it on my avalanche pickup bed and i strapped it in 3 directions with loading straps, and i drove home slowly.
I lifted it off my pick up with the forks on the tractor and left it on there.
I replaced the bottom boards on the pallet with 2x8s screwed in and installed rubber caster wheels with brakes( 250lb cap each) so i can disconnect and roll it if i clean the garage or stain the concrete later.
I have to wire a 230 subpanel to run it.

Last edited:
^^ That's the one. My brother has his on some special urethane matting and didn't anchor it to the floor. He said it hasn't moved in the 15 years its been in his garage. He has more of the matting I might try it and see. If not anchoring it is easy enough, although I like your idea a lot since I might be moving it around a bit if I don't like my planned location for it.

I stand corrected on the weight, this one is 255 lbs. according to the user guide.

I'm going to mount the filter for it on the wall and use a flex connection, I'm also going to wire it with a plug and so i can use my stick welder. If i pull a neutral wire with it, i can also backfeed my panel with the generator(flipping off the mains if i do) during a power outage.

Originally Posted By: Joe_Power
If you're having this much trouble, on figuring out how to get it home, just have them deliver it.

My BIL and I will get it home no problem, and the $85 savings will buy some beer.
wink.gif
My concern was laying it down, which I've now re-confirmed is not an issue.

At first glance I thought it was the same as the HD unit, which is why I mentioned the corrected weight. Now that I had some time to do an actual side by side comparison the units are slightly different. The Kobalt is heavier than the Husky, and has a longer warranty. The Husky holds more oil, output and HP are identical. Kobalt also states a 5000 hr. motor, Husky doesn't. The deal maker for me was the three year warranty.

Originally Posted By: Joe_Power
If you're having this much trouble, on figuring out how to get it home, just have them deliver it.

My BIL and I will get it home no problem, and the $85 savings will buy some beer.
wink.gif
My concern was laying it down, which I've now re-confirmed is not an issue.

At first glance I thought it was the same as the HD unit, which is why I mentioned the corrected weight. Now that I had some time to do an actual side by side comparison the units are slightly different. The Kobalt is heavier than the Husky, and has a longer warranty. The Husky holds more oil, output and HP are identical. Kobalt also states a 5000 hr. motor, Husky doesn't. The deal maker for me was the three year warranty.

Same here. Also, the duty cycle for the husky is 50% the duty cycle for the cobalt is 70%, not that i will need that but hey get what you can.

Here are some pics.
[img:center][/img]

With the new boards on the bottom, the old boards off.

I think i'm going to go ahead and change the top boards under the compressor, the legs are not really sitting solid. And i can center it on the pallet better. I've got some other 2x10s i can use.

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics, let me know if it moves around much.

I might have to rethink where I'm going to put it, they want it 18" away from the walls.

Thanks for the pics, let me know if it moves around much.

I might have to rethink where I'm going to put it, they want it 18" away from the walls.

I'll let you know, i'm curious if the wheel brakes hold it, otherwise i'm going to roll it onto some kind of mat like you are talking about. It might be a few weeks, i've got to get to wiring it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back