Coolant flush using a 50/50 pre-mix

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking to flush my daily driver's cooling system using Amsoil's new ethylene glycol antifreeze. There are two options:

Passenger Car & Light Truck: http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/ot...code=ANTPC1G-EA

Heavy-Duty: http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/ot...code=ANTHD1G-EA

I'm not really sure what the difference is between the two, but I'm thinking the PC&LT version is probably acceptable for a normal commuter car. And both come ONLY in 50/50 pre-mix containers.

I'm unsure how to go about a flush given that these can only be purchased as 50/50 pre-mixes. If I use a garden hose to fill the block with water to flush, then I can't really get the mix to 50/50 given the volume of water in the block that I can't get out once the flush is done.

Or, I could just do a drain and fill from the radiator (and disconnect the hose on the bottom end of the engine to get the maximum possible fluid out). That's not really a "flush", but I could get the mix at 50/50 using that method.

Any ideas on how best to do this? Thanks in advance!
smile.gif

Remove the stat and drain the block through the lower hose.
Replace hose and fill with water reconnect stat housing but leave stat out

Run for minutes

Let cool and drain water through lower hose
Replace stat
Fill with premix.

Or go to local shop with flush machine
Ask them to drain the coolant from their fresh tank and refill with ams coolant
Bring more coolant then nessasary
Let them take care of the rest

I looked at the product you intend to use and it reminded me of another

Peak final charge

The noat formula makes many of the same claims

Why do you have to make life hard for yourself? 50/50 is best as a top off. Simplest is to flush with a garden hose, drain as best as possible. Then close everything up and start pouring in straight coolant of your choice. Stop adding it when you have poured in half of the volume. Don't panic if you can't add it all. You will need to burp your baby. Once that is done add the rest.
grin2.gif

It would be nice if Amsoil sold their ethylene glycol coolant at full concentration, to make coolant flushes easier. I agree a 50/50 mix is best for top-off.

Maybe a better strategy is to just have my local garage/dealership do the flush with their fluids, and then use the Amsoil as a top-off when necessary.

If you have the means to open block drains you can use a shop vac to blow all the water out of the system. It would probably help with without the block drains open too since the air pressure would force the fluid out of the radiator.

Distilled water is preferred as a flushing agent over tap water, youd be surprised at the mineral content in even a "good" source of well water. If you've got city water it will be chlorinated so its not the best solution either. The ph of both will likely be off.

Skip the Am$oil and buy some name brand concentrate that meets your specs. Its the only way you will get the concentration levels close to 50/50.

I ended up emailing Amsoil's Technical Services about this issue, and here's their response:

Quote:
At this time we do not offer the ANTPC in a concentrated form. We are watching sales and comments about this “problem” and may revise our line to include a concentrated form of the EG type coolant. We presently offer the PG form, ANT, in a concentrate, however. Two options exist at this time. One is the use the present coolant with the flush. If this is done, the remaining product will already have coolant in it. The other is to drain both the radiator and the engine block after the flushing is completed.

You will never get all the water out of a block when you flush it. Draining as much as you can is (or should be) standard procedure but depending on the size of the engine you will have at least a quart or more of water in which case you need a full concentrate or you will come up short of the 50/50 mix.

How much does Amsoil charge for a gallon of their 50/50? Do they even make their own coolant in house? The only thing they do manufacture that I'm aware of is their oils, all other products are sourced out.

Originally Posted By: jrmason
You will never get all the water out of a block when you flush it. Draining as much as you can is (or should be) standard procedure but depending on the size of the engine you will have at least a quart or more of water in which case you need a full concentrate or you will come up short of the 50/50 mix.

How much does Amsoil charge for a gallon of their 50/50? Do they even make their own coolant in house? The only thing they do manufacture that I'm aware of is their oils, all other products are sourced out.

One gallon of their 50/50 EG premix (ANTPC1G) is $11.90 plus S&H for preferred customers. They have multiple new products in the coolant space. I have no idea if it's sourced out or made in-house though.

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/other-products/antifreeze/

Why not go with 100% coolant from OEM, Prestone or Peak?

What's so special about Amsoil coolant that you'd complicate the job by using a 50:50?

So basically $24 a gallon for concentrate (or 2 gallons 50/50). that's waay beyond your typical dealership prices of OE coolant. WOW.

Originally Posted By: Benito
Why not go with 100% coolant from OEM, Prestone or Peak?

What's so special about Amsoil coolant that you'd complicate the job by using a 50:50?

I just like trying new things from time to time. That, and Amsoil's coolant is HOAT-compatible, in addition to many other formulations. I've always been happy with their products.

Zerex G-05 is available in various automotive stores at a similar price. So are other coolants from Peak and Prestone, often cheaper.

So basically $24 a gallon for concentrate (or 2 gallons 50/50). that's waay beyond your typical dealership prices of OE coolant. WOW.

I need HOAT coolant. Zerex G-05 is just about as expensive when shipping is taken into consideration (at least through my Amazon research). HOAT ain't cheap.
frown.gif

Peak Global is HOAT comparable and half the cost. Please don't take offense to what I'm saying I just don't understand the logic here, more (expensive) is not always a good indication of a products value.

Peak Global is HOAT comparable and half the cost. Please don't take offense to what I'm saying I just don't understand the logic here, more (expensive) is not always a good indication of a products value.

No offense taken.
smile.gif

I just tried to look it up on Amazon, and they have it... for $25.63/gal AND $42.49 shipping.
shocked.gif

It might be at an auto parts store for cheaper around here... but Amsoil's offering looks like a steal comparative to Amazon's pricing.

http://www.amazon.com/Old-World-Automotive-Product-Antifreeze/dp/B000CCIFZI/

WOW, I bought it locally for $13 a gallon for full concentrate. Amazon usually has good prices but that's just nuts.

I climbed under the car to survey the job. On second thought, I think I'll buy a gallon of Zerex G-05 50/50 pre-mix for top-off purposes and have the dealership do the coolant flush. WAY too much of a hassle given the stuff needed to be removed on the underside of the car.

Guess that solves that problem.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back