My 2003 Toyota Corolla 3dr EU spec

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everybody. I recently asked you for ATF and engine oil for my car, so i thought, as a thanks, to introduce you to my car :

It's a european spec Toyota Corolla, 2003, 1.6 VVTi (3ZZ-FE engine), with a 4-speed conventionnal automatic gearbox (Aisin A236E)

It was bought by an elderly couple, in 2003, the husband died recently, and the wife shortly after became unable to drive anymore (at 89 years old !). So it's got scuffs, badly done bodywork, but on the other hand, it never was raced and it's only 54500 km from new !!

Just a video of the tranny flush yet, but pics will come, i'm looking for a ftp server

Transmission flushing

Did you get any service records with this vehicle?

It blows my mind how some older people trash their cars in such a short period of time. I saw a late model Buick that was owned by an elderly man and literally EVERY panel had some form of body damage.

I only did half a mile after the fluid change but it seemed to be smoother, i'll give you a better feedback later

Yes i got service records and was amazed :

2 front shocks
4 tires (and the 2 front tires are already worn out)
in 54000 km ? how is this possible ?!? Granny was doing burnouts or...

Last edited:
My sister had a 2005 with a 1.4 engine and manual trans since new. It ended up needing a transmission rebuild at around 70K miles.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Looks similar to the US Hyundai Accent from the outside.

Or maybe what a 2003 Yaris would have looked like, had it been offered back then.

in france we had the yaris back in 03, it looked like this :

Used_Toyota_Yaris_2003_Hatchback_Petrol_Manual_for_Sale_in_City_Of_Bristol_UK.jpg

Originally Posted By: GuillaumeG
I only did half a mile after the fluid change but it seemed to be smoother, i'll give you a better feedback later

Yes i got service records and was amazed :

2 front shocks
4 tires (and the 2 front tires are already worn out)
in 54000 km ? how is this possible ?!? Granny was doing burnouts or...

Or she hit a curb. Have the wheel alignment checked!

Wasn't that sold in the US as the Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibe?

The interior looks like that of my '04 Vibe, albeit with the Corolla LE faux wood finish in our '03 Corolla. The shifter is in the same place, etc.

I don't think it has the 110v convenience outlet, but it looks a great deal like the Vibe/Matrix

I'd like to see the back of the passenger seat and the cargo area to see if the similarities continue.

The rear of the car seems different. I wonder if that's due to differing regulations in the EU?

The Matrix and Vibe are based on the Corolla, so we did get a 5 door Corolla hatch in that form.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
You;re so lucky to have that car! I wish they sold the Corolla hatch over here

Hi ! i did a bit more kilometers today, and yes the gearbox is smoother ! but it's not so much of a big difference... i'm just happy to have synthetic fluid in it, as it'll be protected from heat and wear.
The engine is running great with the 0W20, very silent !
The former engine oil was 5W40, 15 000 km old and 4 years old... smelled like gasoline. The plug and the filter were a bit hard to undo, but with the right tools, it was okay.
On a 1989 Citroen AX, i once had to use 2 oil filter keys to undo it, positioned at 180 degrees and UUUUGGGHHH...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back