Non-Removable Chuck on 18V Bosch Drill

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was surprised to find out that the 1/2" Rohm chuck on my 2.5 year old 18V Bosch drill (just a drill, not a hammer drill) is not removable. It has no retainer screw, but does have a flat head "retainer" with a small round hole in the middle. The retainer may be threaded, or may be a press fit, I can't tell.

Looking at an exploded parts diagram for the drill, if you want a new chuck, you have to buy the entire front of the drill, including the gear set and housing, as one unit. Crazy. Why would Bosch do this? My other Bosch drill, a newer 12V version with 3/8" chuck, uses a Torx screw to retain the chuck.

I just checked it out, i sure doesn't look removable. They sell the whole gear housing and chuck for $30 so its not too bad.
Maybe they figured the clutch will fail before the chuck and their probably right, i haven't replaced a chuck in years, or they want to prevent someone installing a larger chuck and overloading the gears.
I agree its a big screwy.

If you have never removed one, they can be difficult to remove!

I replaced one on a drill once, because I wanted a keyed chuck and the drill came with a keyless chuck. I practically destroyed it to remove it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back