post your latest transmission lubricant change.

2000 Chrysler Concorde, 115K miles, about 55K since cooler line flush and filter change with Valvo ATF 4. Did a dipstick tube pump out and replaced 4.5 quarts with ST ATF 4. Old fluid looked good, just a bit darker than fresh fluid. I'll do another pump out and fill in another 10K or so.

2006 Chevy Trailblazer SS, RPM Level V GM-4L70e, PTC converter, ~ 2900 RPM stall, B&M 70274 SuperCooler (bypassing the horrible radiator cooler entirely - that breached twice and killed 2 transmissions and a number of engine cooling parts). This is the 4th transmission and 2nd cooler. Has about 20k miles on it (88k on the truck total). Was shifting horribly, whining, slipping, making a sound like a lug nut tossed in a blender occasionally. The fluid looked like watered down Yoo-hoo and smelled like bad, bad things had been happening to the friction material.

Tossed in a bottle of Lubegard flush from the 98602 Flush and Protect pack. Truck up on jackstands, ran it through the gears to simulate the instructions on the flush.

Took apart all cooler lines and cooler (the factory lines meet up with braided stainless which then run to the cooler). Flushed all lines and cooler both ways with 2 bottles Lubegard 19001 Dr. Tranny Kooler Kleen. Blew dry with compressed air.

Reassembled, except for cooler line at inlet of cooler, pumped out mocha brown fluid, periodically adding Dexron VI (I had 12 quarts of Havoline Dexron VI, 6 quarts of Mag 1 Dexron VI, 4 quarts of SuperTech Dexron VI, and one almost full jug of GM Dexron VI). I went through this pump and fill for about 18 quarts, until the fluid looked perfect and when I ran some through my Mr. Tea filters I didn't see lots of clutch material. Then I added the Lubegard protectant.

Drove truck around the block. Slipped badly. Checked fluid, it was low, added quart and a half. Slipping pretty much gone, I could make it up the driveway, anyway.

Drained fluid from transmission (I have a drain plug), dropped and cleaned pan that looked like someone filed down horse hooves in it, and replaced filter and gasket with AC Delco replacements. The filter screen in the old filter was a bulged out piece that looked solid (as in plugged), so I'm guessing a lot of fluid starvation might have been occuring.

Added 1/3 of another bottle of Lubegard along with about 5 quarts more Dex VI. It's a funny transmission - fluid takes a while to level out - I use cheap $5 Harbor Freight transfer pumps to lower fluid levels every now and then.

Drives much better, still misses the 2-3 shift under heavy throttle (3-4 piston seal failure, perhaps, the 3-4 pack is probably the bulk of the friction material in the pan), but the 1-2 shifts spin the tires easily again, and off the line if you're near the stall it really is a handful to hook up sometimes, so that's all good.

I'll probably do the same thing again in 6 months to see if I can't get along until the next tranny, which I believe I might rebuild myself - seems like a good thing to know for someone like me.

Funny, our Lexus RX330 (113k miles) is much easier to maintain.
smile.gif

Last edited:
2007 Accord - 96k

Out: unknown, probably factory fill judging from the level and condition.
In: Three drain and refills using Havoline Synthetic Multi-Vehicle. It took 3 quarts each time.

I will do one final drain and refill in 5k. At that time I will probably also add a container of BG ATC+ that I have.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
^^^Does any aftermarket company do COMPLETE T56 Magnum/TR6060 conversions for the TBSSes??

^^^Yeah, If I was changing whole transmissions as much as an anal BITOG'er changes ATF, I would for sure be looking for a different solution.

2002 Ford CVPI 167,111 miles
Drained 3.2 quarts via the cooler line and then added 3.5 quarts back of Schaeffers #204SAT

Now I remember why I had been buying it for the other car. Just that 3.5 quarts completely changed the shifting over the Castrol and Kendall Mercon V that was in it. Its incredible how much better it shifts.
The difference is similar to what I experienced in my Mom's car, a 2009 Fusion V6 with the Aisin 6 speed. I changed it several times with the Castrol Import MV fluid and then later I spent the money and bought a case of Mobil 3309 its supposed to have. You could tell after that it was shifting much smoother and the way it was supposed to.
The other fluid in the CVPI couldn't have been in there longer than 8 or 9 k miles since I did the JMod and changed pretty much all the fluid.
I did a whole case of the Kendall and then due to a goof I had to go into it again and I had to add another 3-4 quarts of Castrol so I changed more than the total capacity at that time.
Have to get another 4 or 5 quarts and change some more over.

Last edited:
2007 Kia Rondo V6 Drain and Fill (157,500 miles)
Out: Valvoline MaxLife
In: Valvoline MaxLife

Only about 3.5qts. drain out so I do a drain and fill every 15k miles.

2006 Lexus ES330 with 209,000km.
Family members car. Asked me to have a look as transmission downshift was slightly rough. Hot fluid level was found to be a quart low. Topped up with a quart of Maxlife and transmission smoothed out.

1st d/f
Out- 3.7quarts of T-IV. Pretty much muddy brown not burnt. Drain plug magnet had minor gunk on it, overall very clean.
In. - 3.7quarts of Maxlife Dex/Merc and a new crush washer. Shifting much improved overall.

2nd d/f 600km later.
Out- 3.7quarts. Fluid was cleaner, lighter brown with a reddish tinge. Drain plug nice and clean.
In - 3.7quarts of Maxlife Dex/Merc and new crush washer. Shifting continues to improve according to driver and no return of downshift issue.

I'll be doing one or two more with a bottle of Lubegard HFMF added on the last.

2007 Toyota Camry LE 2.4L, 64k

4 quarts drained from pan, 7 quarts drained from transmission cooler return line.

Out: Toyota ATF WS (factory fill)
In: Valvoline Maxlife

No change in performance (was fine before) but clean fluid is good fluid.

1997 Ford F-150 4.6L @ 57K
Pump out through dipstick for cleanliness sake.
Pan drop, filter change
At 18 MY of age we thought it wise to NOT reuse the pan gasket.
The original gasket was quality neoprene on metal.
4.5 qt. factory fill out.
4.5 qt. MERCON V in. (=32% new fluid)

Vehicle shifted better.

The best feature for an automatic transmission is a minor leak, say a pint a month. A selector seal, or a pin hole in the rear seal A constant top off and the tranny worked great all the time I had that Dart. The underside of the 50$ heap was shiny with Dex 3 Bolts that should been frozen in rust came apart as new.

Hello,
2005 Ford Explorer w/75,740 miles
Pan drop/filter change/refill
OUT: 4.5 quarts of reasonably dirty fluid
IN: 1.5 quarts Valvoline Mercon V and 3 quarts Pro-Line Mercon V
NOTE: Showed my friend's son how to fill a dipstick-less vehicle

manual transmission hyundai I20.

Part of the 120,000km maintenance shedule.

I've put 1.9 litres of Castrol Syntrans Multivehicle 75w-90 GL4 in it.

It looked like syntrans came out aswell, so maybe he's had a fluid change (not long) before. It would've helped if I had known.

Tuesday I'll be putting the same in a Mitsubishi Colt (smart engine and transmission) as Im changing the clutch. The old fluid looked like mudwater, less than 100.000km on it aswell!

1994 Ford Ranger M5OD...

Out: Auto Zone Dex/Merc ATF with a little less than 200 mi on it
In: AC Delco Synchromesh

Changed so soon because the previous fluid was badly neglected and may have been GL5 gear oil. Glad I did a "flush" as the magnet picked up more stuff, including the other half of one of the old wavy washers from the original shifter bushings (replaced at first fluid change).

Shifting great now! Post change test drive wound up being 60 miles.

1989 Buick Lesabre 199,300 miles prob turn it over sometime next week. Dropped the pan around 6 qts of super tech dex/merc out. Vavoline Dex/merc in. Pan and magnet were pretty dirty shifts a little smoother just hoping I can coax another 100k out of her.

Last edited:
I was going to do a full TC drain with filter change on a 1996 Bronco with an E4OD. Interval was around 50k. Upon dropping the pan, everything looked so good (red like new, no burn smells whatsoever, magnet had almost no metal) I decided to just put the new filter on and ignore the TC and refilled with 17qts. of Maxlife Syn.

2003 Toyota Corolla 1.6 (EU spec)

Just (literally a few minutes ago) did a drain refill, then a flush, with Maxlife ATF.

Color went from brown to red (pictures will follow)

Back