Single weight 30 vs. multigrade 5-30 for mower

Status
Not open for further replies.
My mower specifies 30 weight for summer, 5-30 in winter. Any problem or disadvantage in using 5-30 year round since it is often easier to find and cheaper to buy?

How much December mowing in VT do you do? lol

Straight 30 weights are more shear resistant; You could use Rotella 10W-30 or Mobil 1 HM10w-30 which are well regarded here for OPE use.

If it's a briggs they caution about the 5w30 burning off.

Either run a synthetic 5w30 or 10w30 or a straight 30. Maybe a fleet 10w30 like rotella.

Originally Posted By: abycat
Unless you want to change the oil twice a year I suggest 0w30. starting a lawnmower in the winter with a 30wt would be horrible.

Why so you can ensure viscosity at -24F? 0W30 is total overkill. Running 10W40 here without issue. 16 year old B&S.

Originally Posted By: Shrubitup
Originally Posted By: abycat
Unless you want to change the oil twice a year I suggest 0w30. starting a lawnmower in the winter with a 30wt would be horrible.

Why so you can ensure viscosity at -24F? 0W30 is total overkill. Running 10W40 here without issue. 16 year old B&S.

Well he did say this isn't just a mower, it's a tractor that gets used in the winter too. I run Rotella T6 5W-40 year round in my John Deere. I'd use the 0W-40 version if it were more readily available.

I would use 0,5,10w30 full synthetic and that should be as good as a straight 30 wgt. Otherwise, with conventional 5w30, change it more frequently as it would shear down quicker.

Last edited:
Is this concern valid if the alternative is a synthetic 10w-30?

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Straight 30 has no VIIs so will stand up better in those hot running engines

I have a vehicle that take a little less than 5 quarts to fill.

I save all the leftover 5w30 and change the oil in the mower with that once a year.

Usually Quaker state or Mobil Super.

Never had a problem using it in my briggs in the Texas heat.

I change it once a year and it always comes out clean.

I use two air filters per year with this mower also. Keeping the filter clean is a good idea.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JC_VT25
Is this concern valid if the alternative is a synthetic 10w-30?

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Straight 30 has no VIIs so will stand up better in those hot running engines

not if its a good synthetic.

You never said what brand engine you are running. You get better advice if providing a complete picture.

Briggs and Stratton says that synthetic 5W30 offers the best protection year round in their engines.

Use a good synthetic high mileage 5W30.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
You never said what brand engine you are running. You get better advice if providing a complete picture.

Briggs and Stratton says that synthetic 5W30 offers the best protection year round in their engines.

Use a good synthetic high mileage 5W30.

Does it really matter what brand engine it is? Would one engine be so different that the different engine manufacturers be having different recommendations? i just assume the oil recommendation is on the baseness of the engineers.

Originally Posted By: NH73
Does it really matter what brand engine it is?

You are going to ask that question on THIS sight? Really?

Go ahead and run 0W16 oil in your 1970 Corvette. Or SAE60 oil in your 2015 Honda Civic. After all, does it matter what brand engine it has?

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

You are going to ask that question on THIS sight? Really?

Go ahead and run 0W16 oil in your 1970 Corvette. Or SAE60 oil in your 2015 Honda Civic. After all, does it matter what brand engine it has?

The latter one would suffice all summer long, or make a great year-round oil near the equator
28.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back