Vintage Magnavox steroe console with turntable

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was given this console steroe yesterday and I am looking for some information on it (what year, is it worht anything, etc) I've tried to find another one online but havent. I snapped a picture of the model and serial number but am not able to make it out. The AM radio works great, and the speakers sound surprisingly good! I cannot get the FM to work....any ideas why? Also the turntable is locked I canot get it to turn. I am hoping there are some audiophiles on this website.

I've seen those old consoles in the free section on craigslist. Snap a black and white pic of the label, than play with contrast and brightness when editing the pic. Sometimes you can reveal more that way.

By the knobs and switch gear along with the receiver face ( which includes three VU meters and a tape counter ) I would say this console is likely early to mid-70s. The turntable has a 70s era tone arm. It has 33 and 45 rpm speeds and I believe the late 60s models still had 78 rpm. We had a 1968 Magnavox console when I was growing up and I'm certain this is later than that.

I would agree that you might do well to try to get a better resolution on the back label. Generally, I think some of the older ones in good shape are worth more than the later ones which used cheaper veneers and are less collectible / "sellable".

Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
By the knobs and switch gear along with the receiver face ( which includes three VU meters and a tape counter ) I would say this console is likely early to mid-70s. The turntable has a 70s era tone arm. It has 33 and 45 rpm speeds and I believe the late 60s models still had 78 rpm. We had a 1968 Magnavox console when I was growing up and I'm certain this is later than that.

I would agree that you might do well to try to get a better resolution on the back label. Generally, I think some of the older ones in good shape are worth more than the later ones which used cheaper veneers and are less collectible / "sellable".

Yeah I agree,mid 70s since it has a cassette deck and only 33/45 turntable speeds. My dad had a Realistic turntable from the mid 60s and it had 16,33,45,and 78 speeds.

That actually looks pretty new, I would say very early 80's like 1980 or 1981.

It's a very nice unit, I hope you can get it working.

Okay took the back off and saw that it gear driven, so I forced it to turn and little by little it freed up, so the turntable is now working. Still stuck on why the FM wont work though.

Originally Posted By: jfin2002
Still stuck on why the FM wont work though.

Maybe a dumb question, but did you hook up an antenna to it?

As far as vintage, I'd guess mid-to-late 70s.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: jfin2002
Still stuck on why the FM wont work though.

Maybe a dumb question, but did you hook up an antenna to it?

As far as vintage, I'd guess mid-to-late 70s.

Here is a pic of the back of the console, I suppose this wire is the antenna, it runs alont the top edge of the console.

Last 2 numbers of the serial # look like 82. Could be the year it was made.
Clean the contacts of the FM antenna connectors. Those work better if extended vertical.

Last edited:
There is one of these at my grandparents home still.

Thankfully it has a similar AUX port that a iPod touch gets plugged into. My kids think it is a hoot to use.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
That actually looks pretty new, I would say very early 80's like 1980 or 1981.

It's a very nice unit, I hope you can get it working.

I agree,early 1980s. I Googled various decades of the "Magnavox" brand logo,and this one has the 1980's era "Magnavox" logo.

get some deoxit and clean all the controls.
the bandswitch is likely dirty and even working it a bunch may bring back the fm.
turntable needs cleaned up and relubed.
old grease went hard.

Originally Posted By: kc8adu
get some deoxit and clean all the controls.
the bandswitch is likely dirty and even working it a bunch may bring back the fm.
turntable needs cleaned up and relubed.
old grease went hard.

Adding to the prep list,replace the stylus before attempting to play any records on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back