The economics of going with a K&N

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Edmond
With the longer commute, if I got a little bit more efficiency out of the K&N, would it be worth it?

What do you mean by efficiency ?

If it's pressure drop, like in their adds, unless your commute involves more than half the time at full throttle, the lack of restriction will be compensated for by a (slightly, very slightly) more closed throttle, and no change in "efficiency".

If it's filtering efficiency, as you know, there are way better.

Fram Tough Guard plus a restriction gauge. Resist the urge to open the air box and disturb the seal. Don't worry about how dirty the filter looks unless it's dirty on the clean side. If there are no holes in the media and it's sealed it's getting clean air.

The job of the filter is to keep the dirt on the dirty side. If it's sealed and doing its job, follow the restriction gauge. K&N actually makes my favorite restriction gauge, it's probably their only product I would buy. It has a much smaller range for gas engines than you see on stronger springed gauges.

Oiled cotton gauze filters have no place on unmodified fuel injected vehicles with emissions equipment. If you have a supercharged drag racer, maybe you could benefit from the slightly better flow.

I could go outside and get free dirt to throw in and get a similar effect as with an expensive k&n air filter lol.

I fitted a K&N to my motorcycle because it was cheaper than genuine. It's been in 2.5 years and over 25,000km, and had it out on the weekend to rearrange my breather. It's still pretty clean, and has plenty of oil - there is no dust in the airbox, down the intake tubes, or in the carb bellmouths...I'm happy with that. The original breather was down the intake tubes, and the carb mouths would be coated in oil, so have been running an open breather. Now I'm going to run it into the top of the airbox. This system was used in cars between the road tube and PCV, it used to cover the paper airfilter in oil. I'm not worried if the K&N gets a little extra oil from the breather.

I've been monitoring it, I'm happy to run it forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back