What's your favorite electric guitar solo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the raw garagey guitar solo of "Just In case You Wonder" by Canada's Ugly Ducklings from 1966. Guitar solo starts at 1:14

Joe Satriani - Always with me, Always with you
Eric Johnson - Cliffs of Dover
Steve Vai - Whispering a Prayer

I have been lucky to see Joe Satriani and Steve Vai in concert more than a few times including some private shows and they are awesome players.

There is quite a few some were already listed but here are some I like:

Derek & The Dominos - Layla

Jimi Hendrix - All Along The Watchtower

Coming into the thread this late I'm gratified to see that mine hasn't been mentioned yet; David Gilmour's solo from the end of "Comfortably Numb."

Gilmour

I like Guns and Roses Sweet Child of Mine with Slash. The whole song is his solo IMO. He may not be a legendary, but to me he made that guitar sing for that song.

Also anything played by Marc Knopfler is really well done.

Too many to list them all. A few of mine, in no particular order:

Brian Robertson (Thin Lizzy) Cowboy Song
Pete Willis (Def Leppard) Rocks Off
Alex Lifeson, La Villa Stangiato
Eddie Van Halen, Hot For Teacher, Feel Your Love Tonight
Stevie Ray Vaughan, Lenny, Love Struck Baby
Gary Moore, Remembering (With Love)
Myles Goodwyn (April Wine) Crash and Burn
The solo in Boston's Hitch A Ride, I am not sure who played it
Ted Nugent (Dam Yankees) Come Again, Stranglehold
Eric Johnson, East Wes
Glenn Tipton (Judas Priest) Living After Midnight

I can't really pick a favorite.

The song is Green Earrings by Steely Dan. 1976. The lead is Rick Derringer.

Actually the whole album really showcases RD at his peak...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Coming into the thread this late I'm gratified to see that mine hasn't been mentioned yet; David Gilmour's solo from the end of "Comfortably Numb."

Gilmour

Yes, sensational.

Red Barchetta by Rush and Stevie Ray...House is a Rockin'. One solo that never gets mentioned and was one of the first and I thought was pretty dang good: Bill Haley and the Comets: Rock Around the Clock......some pretty dang good and fast fingering for that time, even now.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
Red Barchetta by Rush and Stevie Ray...House is a Rockin'. One solo that never gets mentioned and was one of the first and I thought was pretty dang good: Bill Haley and the Comets: Rock Around the Clock......some pretty dang good and fast fingering for that time, even now.

Rock Around the Clock,I totally agree!! PURE and raw with no effects. That's true talent!

Originally Posted By: marc1
Not in any order:

1) So Lonely - The Police
2) Like a Hurricane - Neil Young
3) My Sharona - The Knack... don't laugh, that solo is stunning

No laughing here. If that wasn't one of the most disliked songs in rock history, the solo would be legendary. It also didn't help that the solo was cut in half on the single edit

So Lonely is another good pick. I always felt the musicianship of the Police was underrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back