Lowest cSt Viscosity @100C from blackstone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGR

So I received back UOA's from Blackstone on 2 factory fills, a 2015 Juke (1.6L DI, turbo and egr) and a 2015 Altima (2.5L 4cyl port injected no egr).

Factory recommendation for both is 0w-20 for mileage, but 5w-30 conventional (mineral) old will keep warranty intact. On the juke this has changed since 2013, where my factory manual for that one (same engine) recommended 5w-30 only.

Anyway, the Juke had 1426 miles on it, the Altima 660. These are both factory fill cSt viscositys, so I assume they had put a 0w-20 weight as FF.

The Altima came back at 6.42 cSt, the Juke at 5.91. Now I've only been doing UOAs for a couple years now, but I know I've NEVER seen numbers this low, even for all the 5w-20 I've used in Fords and Camry and whatnot. The Juke also suffered from 1.5% fuel dilution, which makes sense because those break-in miles were all around town stuff, maybe 2 hard canyon runs on it, that was it.

Just finished the second oil change on the Juke after a 2200 mile roadtrip, and got a sample of that to see what it looks like, figuring the all road trip will have at least stopped the fuel dilution from showing up.

I know the Juke destroys oil, because I UOAed the last one several times as I increased oil weights and quality trying to keep it from shearing it down. Haven't gone back to sample the Altima, it has 19K on it now, but I'll get one here in a week and know what it is doing to 5w-30 semi-syn because that's what I've been using in it.

Interestingly, in neither comment section of the Blackstone UOA did the author comment on the oil viscosity. They have on all past UOAs done on the old Juke, but no mention of whether or not a 5.91 cSt @100 is a disaster or what.

Juke will stay at 5w/10w-30 semi-syn the rest of summer, and come winter will get 5w-30 Ultra which has both a good pourpoint and is on the light side of a 30w. And then we'll see how that works out for shearing, and fuel dilution, but that is next summer's exercise.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
The cSt viscosity range at 100C for a 20 weight oil is 5.6 to http://www.pqiamerica.com/viscosity.htm) so both are within spec.

Nope, with the changes to J300 back in 2013, the wxw20s were identified as having far too wide a band (they ALWAYS used to "stay in grade"), and minimum for a 20 is now 6.9cst.

So they both are out of grade for a 20.

Minimum for xW16 is 6.1, so the juke is out of the next grade down too.

Originally Posted By: RGR
So I received back UOA's from Blackstone on 2 factory fills, a 2015 Juke (1.6L DI, turbo and egr) and a 2015 Altima (2.5L 4cyl port injected no egr).

Factory recommendation for both is 0w-20 for mileage, but 5w-30 conventional (mineral) old will keep warranty intact. On the juke this has changed since 2013, where my factory manual for that one (same engine) recommended 5w-30 only.

Anyway, the Juke had 1426 miles on it, the Altima 660. These are both factory fill cSt viscositys, so I assume they had put a 0w-20 weight as FF.

The Altima came back at 6.42 cSt, the Juke at 5.91. Now I've only been doing UOAs for a couple years now, but I know I've NEVER seen numbers this low, even for all the 5w-20 I've used in Fords and Camry and whatnot. The Juke also suffered from 1.5% fuel dilution, which makes sense because those break-in miles were all around town stuff, maybe 2 hard canyon runs on it, that was it.

Just finished the second oil change on the Juke after a 2200 mile roadtrip, and got a sample of that to see what it looks like, figuring the all road trip will have at least stopped the fuel dilution from showing up.

I know the Juke destroys oil, because I UOAed the last one several times as I increased oil weights and quality trying to keep it from shearing it down. Haven't gone back to sample the Altima, it has 19K on it now, but I'll get one here in a week and know what it is doing to 5w-30 semi-syn because that's what I've been using in it.

Interestingly, in neither comment section of the Blackstone UOA did the author comment on the oil viscosity. They have on all past UOAs done on the old Juke, but no mention of whether or not a 5.91 cSt @100 is a disaster or what.

Juke will stay at 5w/10w-30 semi-syn the rest of summer, and come winter will get 5w-30 Ultra which has both a good pourpoint and is on the light side of a 30w. And then we'll see how that works out for shearing, and fuel dilution, but that is next summer's exercise.

I would not feel comfortable running a 0w20 in a turbo application. You said 5w30 conventional will keep the warranty intact, so I'm sure they would allow for 5w30 synthetic which is what I would use for that turbo.

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
The cSt viscosity range at 100C for a 20 weight oil is 5.6 to http://www.pqiamerica.com/viscosity.htm) so both are within spec.

Well that is good news. But [censored]....the question becomes what they started out at, and if they were once a 9 and became a 5, or started out as a 6 and became a 5. I haven't seen any PQIA VOA that had a 20w oil starting out as a 6 prior to use though, have you?

Originally Posted By: Shannow

So they both are out of grade for a 20.

Minimum for xW16 is 6.1, so the juke is out of the next grade down too.

Which begs the question, what is Nissan putting in as FF, and is is now reasonably imperative to dump it far sooner than required? Normally I'm happy with a 1000 mile run on FF before changing it, but this might make a case for bringing it home from the dealership, running it 100 miles just for some early break in to happen on someone elses oil, and then dump the FF.

Originally Posted By: jdavis
Did I miss it? What 0w-20's were used in them?

Factory fill.

Originally Posted By: gregk24

I would not feel comfortable running a 0w20 in a turbo application. You said 5w30 conventional will keep the warranty intact, so I'm sure they would allow for 5w30 synthetic which is what I would use for that turbo.

I happen to have quite a stash of PU 5w-30.
smile.gif

I've owned a 2013 Juke, and am familiar with its ability to shear an oil like nobodies business. Blackstone even mentioned it on the UOAs, and I began moving up from conventional 5w/30 to semi-synthetic 5w/30 to fully synthetic 5w/30 to fully synthetic 10w/30 and it sheared everything across the board. On that Juke, I was about ready to go outside my stash capabilities and try out Castrol GC in the 0w-30 first, possibly even leaping all the way out of manufacturer recommended into Castol 0/5-40, or a PU 0/5-40. And if the motor explodes, I've got quite a history of UOAs showing what their engine does to oil and take my chances arguing in front of the arbiter over who should pay for the blown engine.

I should also mention I've got FF UOAs on a new 3.6L Pentastar and a new 3.7L Mustang motor as well, both would probably be FF with 20w oil. Both non-EGR, non-turbo, both of them in the 7.2-7.7 cSt @100C range after 1400 miles on the Mustang, 660 on the Jeep.

So when these came back on a pair of new Nissan's, it was surprising. What would this oil look like after a factory OCI of 3000-4000 miles? Yikes...I have no intention of finding out.

Originally Posted By: jdavis
my 2013 Nissan Rogue with 2.5 (QR25DE) shears oil crazy too. My next fill in that will be M1 0w-40

I believe my Altima has the QR25DE. I'll have a sample on it here in a week or so, haven't checked it since the FF. Been running 5w-30 dealer oil or MC7500 since that first change, will get a feel for how it is treating oil here in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back