best oil change filter oil combo in walmart?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok guys I've been wondering, what's the best oil filter and oil you can buy at walmart. I'm very ocd about useing the same brands on all my vehicals and right now my dart 2.4 is running synpower with a d+ filter. I just bought a new 2015 gmc sierra with the 5.3 ecotec3 engine and plan on doing the first service myself. I would like to use a bosch d+ filter and synpower because that's what my dart is running and my ocd wants me to use the same combo on the new truck. Would it be a good combo following the olm?

There is nothing wrong with Synpower and D+

The D+ is the best filter available at Walmart, with the Fram Ultra as a close second.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
The D+ is the best filter available at Walmart, with the Fram Ultra as a close second.

How are you quantifying that?

I'd put it the other way around, Fram Ultra number 1 and Bosch being number 2.

The Bosch is a rebadged Purolator and I believe I have read on this very sight of tears on the D+.

I think Mobil 1 and a Fram Ultra would be the best all around combo. You have guaranteed protection for up to a year, that is backed by both manufacturers. *I personally would still follow your vehicles recommended service interval*

There is nothing wrong with Synpower and D+

While i would respectfully disagree with you, the Fram Ultra is highly superior to the Bosch D+, since the Fram Ultra uses full synthetic wire backed media with 99%+ efficiency @ 20 microns and 80% efficiency at 80 microns, while the Bosch D+ uses a blended glass/cellulose media similar to Mobil 1 filters. They don't publish the 20 micron efficiency so you know it isn't as good, while i am sure it's pretty high. I believe the box says 99.9% @ 40 microns, which isn't useful to know on its own.

Both are top of the line filters, the Bosch Distance Plus is the second best filter at Walmart.

Back on topic i guess?? The Bosch D+ with Synpower is overkill for the OLM, but perfectly fine.

Absolutely nothing wrong with Valvoline SynPower, so continue to use it if you like it (i really liked it when I used it). If you decide to switch oil, really any of the name brand synthetic oils will work well.

As for the filter, I prefer the Fram Ultra over the Bosch D+, but you're really not going wrong with either of them.

For those interested, if you go to coupons.walmart.com, there is a coupon for $6 off a 5 qt. jug of Synpower and a $3 off coupon on VWB. You can print two coupons off from each computer you use to open the site.

Last edited:
I would use Pennzoil Platinum and a FRAM Tough Guard on my Fit.

I read a lot of people experience consumption when switching to Mobil 1, so I would stick to what works in my car.

I don't know if a FRAM Ultra would work well on my Fit, as my preference would be a WIX. So I would pick a FRAM Tough Guard as that is pretty much the OEM Honda filter to be safe.

I would not, as BubbaTime stated, use a Bosch D+ as it is a Purolator, and they aren't on my trusted list with all the media tears.

I prefer my coffee filters, oil filters, and birth control devices to be tear free at the moment.

Originally Posted By: Falken
I read a lot of people experience consumption when switching to Mobil 1, so I would stick to what works in my car.

I've been running EP in my xB for 30K now-it literally hasn't burned ANY during any of the 10K OCIs.

Originally Posted By: Falken
I prefer my coffee filters, oil filters, and birth control devices to be tear free at the moment.

LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back