QS3387A 6,300mi/3 months

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here we have a delightful specimen of a used Quaker State filter from our '01 Bonneville. Ran from January to April using National 5w-30 oil.

Turn One:

qs55.jpg

Turn Two:

qs56.jpg

Turn Three:

qs57.jpg

A disturbing factor was a few pieces of loose adhesive. I only found them loose on the inlet side of the filter, but was able to remove some from the outlet side pretty easily (this is a smaller piece):

qs58.jpg

Media laid out:

qs59.jpg

Approx 100 sq/in of media. Would be a great example if it wasn't for the glue.

Is that a big chunk of something in the pleats in photo 4?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

X2.

Filter looks outstanding though.

Originally Posted By: jk_636
Great looking filter! Who makes filters for quaker state?
It's a low end jobber Purolator-but the lack of a metal crimp usually makes them last longer than the Classic without tearing,

Maybe the adhesive he was referencing? At least it wedged itself in there fairly well.

Yep, I'm pretty positive that's loose adhesive. I also found two other bigger pieces, luckily on the dirty side of the filter.

Originally Posted By: Virtuoso

Yep, I'm pretty positive that's loose adhesive. I also found two other bigger pieces, luckily on the dirty side of the filter.

No doubt ... if that piece of glue went into the engine it might not have been a good thing.

Looks like the puro's of old, minus the mild wavy pleats.

So Puro can create a filter with tight, even and plenty of pleating. See!!
grin.gif

Thanks for posting.

Virtuoso - you have the date code for this filter? Should be printed on the can somewhere.

I love using Quaker State filters from Menards! Always on sale for $1.99.

I also still have a 5 quart jug of the National 5w-30 from a couple years ago from a sale...$7.99?

Virtuoso - you have the date code for this filter? Should be printed on the can somewhere.

Just in time, I was about to toss it. Date code: F09 F04B1

Originally Posted By: Plumber
I love using Quaker State filters from Menards! Always on sale for $1.99.

I also still have a 5 quart jug of the National 5w-30 from a couple years ago from a sale...$7.99?

I stock up on a few when they go on sale too.

This last OC was a QS filter with Super S oil for a grand total of $10 for an oil change.

Just in time, I was about to toss it. Date code: F09 F04B1

Made Sep 4, 2014.

^Is there still a theory consistent with a certain time-frame for tearing Puro's? Sort of a running log of verified tears with a list of their date codes then making it into a graph?
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
^Is there still a theory consistent with a certain time-frame for tearing Puro's? Sort of a running log of verified tears with a list of their date codes then making it into a graph?
grin2.gif

Well, it began in earnest by the end of 2012 (thus we did not notice the issue until 2013/2014) but it was trickling in before as well. Tough to say if the "just made" filters are good as stock can take a few dozen months to go from factory, to the distribution warehouse, to the shelf, to the consumer and then through the 3-10K miles. The fastest we see is about 6-8 months after the production date. The issues is also that about 1/3 do not give the production date so it is kinda iffy as well. I bet that 2013 is the highest year because those "crazy" enough to record the production code (as well as cut open a filter) stopped after the onslaught of failed filter in the winter of 2014. Also, I don't know if the document has been updated recently.

Looking at the spreadsheet, this is what I counted.

2009 2
2010 2
2011 4
2012 9
2013 21
2014 3
No date given 19

Edit: My money is more that it is associated with model numbers/design/media as there is more of a connection with model numbers IMO. I think that the media combined with poor spacing with certain models makes the thing go from iffy to out-right bad.

Last edited:
Made Sep 4, 2014.

Nice! How did you get the year?

The "letter" in the middle of the code is the year, the "F" at the beginning is the Fayetteville NC factory.

A 2009
B 2010
C 2011
D 2012
E 2013
F 2014

PurolatorOilFilterManufactureCode.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back